Angels Landing Trail

HARD 2,104 reviews

Angels Landing Trail is a 4.1 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Springdale, Utah that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from February until October.

Angels Landing is a strenuous trail in Zion National Park with steep drop-offs and very narrow sections - it is also the most popular hike in Zion. Start by parking at The Grotto trailhead, or taking the West Rim Shuttle to The Grotto shuttle stop. Begin by crossing a bridge over the Virgin River, the first 2-miles of the West Rim Trail are a well-maintained, paved trail. Most of the path is sunny, but Refrigerator Canyon offers shade and often a cool breeze. The trail takes you up Walter's Wiggles, a set of 21 steep switchbacks that take their name from Walter Ruesch, Zion National Park’s first superintendent. The last half-mile (0.8 km) follows a steep and narrow ridge from Scout Lookout to Angels Landing itself, a fantastic observation point 1500 feet above Zion Canyon. Anchored support chains are attached along some sections of the sheer cliff. You are rewarded with an excellent view of the main canyon at the top. Avoid standing near the edge at all times! Do not hike the trail when it is wet, storming, or when high winds are present. If you are afraid of heights this trail is not recommended. This is a good early morning hike to check off your bucket list - it will surely be one of you favorite hikes! Make sure to allow time to be off the trail by dark if starting late in the day.

My son and I did this hike last week. Definitely get to the park early to get in line for the first shuttle. It is tough hike to get to Scouts Landing and then another 1.1 miles out and back to the top of Angels Landing. I’m 55 and in okay shape. I wish I had done some training on a stair master or squats before the hike. My thighs were hurting the next day!

Gorgeous hike! The switchbacks are killer, but paved. Then after that its a pretty skinny trail with sheer cliffs, sometimes on both sides. Its an adrenaline rush, and the views at the top are amazing! I dont know if I could stomach it with snow or even rain though. Always be aware of your footing and bring plenty of water.

Amazing trail! One of the best in the state of Utah, and that's saying something.

Breathtaking hike! Highly recommend

The best hike of my life, exhausting like hell.
hike has two parts, one which is a long walk of 3.5 miles steep slope with a well built trail.

after that comes the part were you have to climb a strenuous mountain all the way till top.

the hike is a experience in itself. take lots of water and good food to keep you going.

So much fun hiking up and down this trail. Beatufu view on the top!

One of my all time favorites! The climb up was absolutely an epic experience and the views are phenomenal!! Stay aware of your own personal safety and be courteous to others along the way. Pace yourself and have fun! Gorgeous hike.

Well done trail. Walters wiggles switchbacks are an engineering marvel. Many chains on the final ascent by the sheer dropoffs. Non stop gorgeous views of Zion canyon. Plenty of room at the top viewing area. You will never be alone.

Truly epic and unique hike!

We did this on a Tuesday in mid May - took the first Zion shuttle at 6am from the Visitors Center to the #6 Grotto stop. Probably about 20 other hikers heading up the trail at that time. It was a bit chilly in the morning (about 50 degrees), sun hadn't peaked over the mountains yet and most of the hike was in the shade, so a jacket and layers is a must! The first half of the hike is paved but pretty strenuous because you're walking steeply up the side of the mountain. A good 45 minutes of uphill effort. Then you reach the chains which is the coolest part! Luckily, we were the first ones up so there was no one coming back down yet, so that made the chain hike much easier and more enjoyable!! As the day goes on, you have people coming both up and down the narrow chains section - which causes some traffic jams. We bumped into a few people on our hike down the chains, so just step aside as best as possible and be patient (could add an extra 20 min or so to your hike).

The view from the top is worth it! Great spot for a light breakfast. Only a handful of other hikers.

Now, if you're a photographer, there is a con for getting up early and having an easier hike - the valley is still partially in shadow. You'll either have to brave the crowds later in the day for better lighting or simply bring extra food/water and just hang at the peak for a few hours until the sun is right. We stayed for about 45 minutes, snapped a few long exposures and timelapses before heading back down.

Besides a bit of congestion at the chains, the hike down was super easy. I can imagine a weekend during high season, this hike would be super packed and frustrating! But mid week, early in the morning - it was perfect!!!! Took us under 3.5 hours.

Great hike! I have done this hike 3 times, twice in the summer and once in the winter with snow. This trail is one of the most popular, so go early or later in the afternoon to avoid the mid-day heat. Hiking up the chains towards the end is always fun. The views are worth the climb!

Did this last Tuesday. If you want to see the amazing views with limited waits, take the first shuttle. that means get in line before 630 at the visitors center.even for a short hike, wear proper shoes and bring water! I was surprised the amount of people unprepared. the last .5 mile up wasn't as scary as thought. amazing views. Walters Wiggles was a blast going up! do remember people going up have the right of way....be patient going down.

Beautiful views and fun to hike. Plenty of friendly people along the trail.

Great hike with the biggest challenge as the day goes on is the CROWDS! (I got to the visitors centre at 6:30am and there was already a long queue for the first shuttle)
Passing is difficult at certain points as I discovered coming back down and the crowds coming up increased, so patience is required. Not really technically difficult, as long as you're ok with heights just take your time and use common sense. And the overly friendly chipmunks at the top almost as rewarding as the views!

Loved it!! Every step of it!!

worth every step! amazing vew. strt as early as possible though to avoid the crowds!

I didn’t do a single bit of research on this hike and walked up to it because it was recommended. WOW. One of the more challenging hike I’ve ever been on but easily the most rewarding. It truly is Angel’s Landing.

Very thrilling hike. Enjoyed hiking the part of the hike with chains.

Loved it

get on the first few shuttles and beat the crowds. very nice hike.

h

One of the best hikes I've ever done. Earlier in day the better take more water than expected and prepare to be amazed. Patience will be mandatory . It is a difficult hike and no way would I take little kids or grandma.

the majority of the hike is pretty easy, but the last half mile makes up for. pretty intimidating if you’re not used to that kind of climbing, but totally doable with the chains. crowds make it more difficult, but everyone is supportive and friendly so it’s never a huge issue! totally worth it once you get to the top.

By far my favorite hike of all time!! Did it alone and it was truly an Amazing hike!! I was the only person on the trail going up and caught the last few people walking out to catch the last shuttle bus, shuttle bus service ends at 8:15pm and the visitor center parking is a 3 mile hike. View going up the trail is unreal and really enjoyed every step into it. Tried to catch the Sun Rise but missed it by 45mins. Stayed a good 2 1/2 hours at angels landing point taking night photography and was extremely happy with the pictures. Saw so many shooting stars on the hike back to visitor center it was none the less very satisfying. Definitely coming back next year again.

Awesome.....

The view is gorgeous but the trail is very disappointing with asphalt almost up to the top. Too many people even at 8AM mid of April. 1 hour to climb to the top if you are very well trained and 40 minutes to go down.

Honestly a lot easier than I had thought it would be. Videos and comments about the hike on various platforms make it scarier than it actually is. Lots of people but everyone becomes a new friend and support system on the way up. It is by far the most fun hike I have ever done and I just want to keep going back!!

We hiked this mid-morning on a Monday (April 30) and it was crowded but not awful. We had so much fun on this hike!! The videos you may see on youtube make this look scarier than it really was. Each little section of trail becomes a little puzzle to solve, and you're spending so much time watching where to step and put your hands that you don't become fixated on the drop-off (tunnel vision :)). We found that going down was easiest and fastest going backwards and sort of rappelling while holding the chain. Note: the very first rise section with chain after Scout Overlook is actually one of the trickier sections. Quite a few people bailed out here. But, if you can get past this point, you'll be good the rest of the way. View at the end is wonderful, plus the adrenaline rush is great also! From Scout Overlook it took us 1 hour up and 1/2 hour down.

Worth every effort. Go to the top. Beautiful views

Angels landing was incredible! We got to Zion around 6:45am and took the first shuttle (7am) to the grotto trailhead. There was already a long line waiting for the shuttle behind us so I’m so glad we got there early! I was pretty nervous about the chain part of the hike while we were planning to do this. I will admit that the chain part of the hike was much longer than I expected. Since there weren’t many people on the trail, we didn’t feel rushed at all. I just took my time and slowly but steady got through the chain part. The view at the top was amazing and dizzying if you look down either side. You get a pretty cool view of the park all around. There were maybe 20-30 people at the top when we got there at about 9:20am. We took some pictures, ate some snacks, then headed back down. The trail was much busier on our way back down. We had to wait in some areas with chains as there were people trying to go up and down at the same time. Most people were nice and let us pass going down. We made it all the way back to the bottom at around 10:50am. We just kept saying how grateful we were that we got there so early. Best decision for hiking this trail, especially if you are slightly faster than others or don’t want to have to wait behind lines of people to go through the chain portions. Overall, amazing hike!!

The trail was challenging, but wee worth it and amazing. Use extreme caution when trekking the part from Scout's Point to Angel's Landing. Don't be in a hurry and be patient so you can stick to the chains and play it safe. It's no joke... there have been 7 people to fall to their deaths there. It is safe and very doable so dont let that scare you, but just be wise and play it safe. The view at the end is priceless and well worth it! Highly recommend!