Angels Landing Trail

HARD 1,773 reviews

Angels Landing Trail is a 4.4 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Springdale, Utah that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from February until October.

Angels Landing is a strenuous trail in Zion National Park with steep drop-offs and very narrow sections - it is also the most popular hike in Zion. Start by parking at The Grotto trailhead, or taking the West Rim Shuttle to The Grotto shuttle stop. Begin by crossing a bridge over the Virgin River, the first 2-miles of the West Rim Trail are a well-maintained, paved trail. Most of the path is sunny, but Refrigerator Canyon offers shade and often a cool breeze. The trail takes you up Walter's Wiggles, a set of 21 steep switchbacks that take their name from Walter Ruesch, Zion National Park’s first superintendent. The last half-mile (0.8 km) follows a steep and narrow ridge from Scout Lookout to Angels Landing itself, a fantastic observation point 1500 feet above Zion Canyon. Anchored support chains are attached along some sections of the sheer cliff. You are rewarded with an excellent view of the main canyon at the top. Avoid standing near the edge at all times! Do not hike the trail when it is wet, storming, or when high winds are present. If you are afraid of heights this trail is not recommended. This is a good early morning hike to check off your bucket list - it will surely be one of you favorite hikes! Make sure to allow time to be off the trail by dark if starting late in the day.

Top three best hikes I’ve ever done, arguably #1. Will certainly challenge those with a healthy fear of heights!

Winter is the time to go! Less people, easy access, and amazing views! Be sure to bring spikes or it could be more exciting!

Epic hike. I didn’t do the last portion - far too many people even in the winter and even early morning. Not sure why people think their little kids should be doing that last portion. Anyway the hike up to scouts lookout had plenty of amazing views that I’ll never forget.

Amazing experience!!! Def a must on the bucket list.

My husband, sister, and I had the best time on this hike. We go hiking often and rated this as one of our top five hikes and had such an unforgettable experience. It snowed this morning when we completed the hike. The weather left the trail sparse but incredibly enjoyable to us, who are accustomed to the snow being from the Midwest. The views from the top are incredible. This is hike is a must, if you are in Zion!

outstanding hike. leave early to avoid the crowds. bring a snack so you can eat at the top of angels landing. would not recommend if you are scared of hikes.

The best hike I've ever been on. So beautiful!!!

I have an emotional attachment to this hike. It is what made me fall in love with nature and the outdoors. The hike itself was very difficult because I am not accustomed to the altitude or humidity. The views are spectacular, and once you make it to the top of the trail you are overcome with a sense of awe before the landscape. The rock scramble is intense! Definitely not for the squeamish or those afraid of heights, but certainly for those looking for a challenge. I can't wait to go again! I have written a full review of the hike here, which you can read if you want more information about the hike:

Terrifying near the end and I went at a very low visitation time, on a weekday in late September late in the afternoon. Other people were the main thing that made it scary, that being said, I’ve been to all the big overlooks in Zion, and this one really did have the most spectacular view. To put the chain section in perspective, I did the 2 miles of Wally’s Wiggles and got to the ‘saddle’ in 30 minutes, and it took me another 30 to get from the saddle to the end with the chains, which is only a half mile! You have to go slow and be careful and let other people pass whenever you have room to safely do so. Did it in 2 hours round trip including time at the top. It was sort of empty by that point so I was able to run a lot of the way down.

Such an amazing hike. Going back in 2018

Experience of a lifetime. Get there early.

Absolutely great hike. Beautiful views .

The hardest, scariest, most rewarding thing I’ve ever done.

The best. Go early or off season to avoid the crowds. It definitely lives up to its reputation. Hard, a little scary and the greatest. I went in late September and early in the morning. Almost by myself on the way up and beginning to get crowded on the way down. If you get the chance don’t pass it up.

Absolutely amazing!

best hike in the park, awesome

Keep at least one hand on the chains at all times if you truly value your life. Haha!

Best hike I've ever done. If you have kids they should be at least 12. Go in the winter if you can while the weather is good. If you're safe and sane it's not dangerous.

Incredible hike! We timed it to be there at sunset and it didn’t disappoint! See my instagram: @anderson.outdoors

I loved this hike, after I was done with it.
It was hard, but worth it.
-I seriously thought about getting married on top of this place, but after hiking the first time, I decided not to.