Angels Landing Trail

HARD 1,210 reviews

Angels Landing Trail is a 4.4 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Hurricane, Utah that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from February until October.

2073 feet

This is a strenuous trail in Zion National Park with steep drop-offs and very narrow sections. Not for anyone afraid of heights! The first 2-miles are paved and well-maintained. Most of the path is sunny, but Refrigerator Canyon offers shade and often a cool breeze. Ends at summit 1500 feet above Zion Canyon. Last 0.5 mi (0.8 km) follows a steep, narrow ridge; chains have been added in the most difficult areas. This is a good early morning hike. Make sure to allow time to be off the trail by dark if starting late in the day. The last half-mile is across a narrow sandstone ridge. Anchored support chains are attached along some sections of the sheer fin. Sheer cliffs at high elevations while hiking on a narrow fin. Avoid standing near the edge at all times! Do not hike the trail when it is wet, storming, or when high winds are present.

2 minutes ago

Fun hike, amazing views, but crawling with people. If you're the type that likes to get out into the outdoors to get away from humans... find another trail. This one leaves you waiting in line to get through the narrower segments. My 6 year old had a blast though!

I did this hike back in May of 2013. It's by far one of my favorite hikes I've ever done. This is not a trail for those with a fear of heights! The trail was heavily trafficked when I did it, which made the chained sections a bit unnerving. Overall, this trail is steadily steep, often narrow, and requires hand-over-hand supportive "climbing" using a linked metal chain bolted to evenly spaced metal poles. The chain serves the double purpose of identifying the boundary between the trail edge and the unstable footing beyond. Hiking the spine, where these chains are most needed, is the most precarious part of the trail as the risk of slipping is very real. The views are stunning the whole way, there is good shade in the beginning with intermittent shade as you climb higher. Do read the warning signs and bring adequate gear, especially water and good hiking shoes. And don't forget your camera!

This is my favorite hiking trail!
The hike is a total workout, and the views are amazing!
Watch my video of the whole hike.

Or search on youtube, HIKE: Angels Landing Melissa Gomez

Show some love!

I envy folks who live close by to Zion and this hike. It is simply incredible. Went on a Wednesday in mid August (8/16/2017) and got to Zion at 5:30 AM (note that if you get to Zion before 6 AM, you aren't subject to the entrance fee!) There were a few other cars, but the lot was a ghost town otherwise. We were the first ones in line for the shuttle into Zion Canyon. A handful of cars/people came in before 6, but everyone pretty easily fit onto the first shuttle at 6 AM. My assumption is that no matter what time of the year, when the shuttles are running, as long as you're there by 5:45 AM, you should make the first shuttle. It was about a 20 minute shuttle ride to the Angels Landing stop, which a majority of the bus got off at. We were among the first 5 people to reach the actual Angels Landing trail, so we had zero wait time climbing that last half mile. Took us about an hour and ten minutes to reach the end of Angels Landing, and by that time, the sun had just started peaking over the mountains behind us, illuminating the valley just enough for pictures and just enough to be able to fully take in the incredible, incredible scenery. Pictures do not do it justice. Coming back down, we had to stop a few times to wait for hikers coming up, but that only added about five minutes or so. I highly recommend doing this hike early like we did. On a final note, as someone with a moderate fear of heights, I never once felt anxious. Pictures make the drops and walkways look much more perilous than they really are. Just be mindful of your steps, use those chains, and you'll be fine.

Completely amazing trail, most spectacular views. Not as challenging as I had expected, but would definitely recommend going early to beat crowds and the heat. If you're not into heights, there is a stop-off at the peak after 2 miles up the trail where you can choose not to do the final stretch along the ridge w/ the chainlink fence and still see some good views. One of my favorite hikes of all time.

No words. Just do it.

Best hike of my life, totally amazing. Loved it!

Definitely not an easy hike, especially if you don't like heights. That being said, this was one of the most amazing hikes I have ever done!

Absolutely terrifying, but also amazing!

Definitely deserving of the strenuous rating. If you aren't comfortable with heights I would highly recommend thinking twice before doing this one. Some of the chained sections are extremely nerve wracking.