Angels Landing Trail (CLOSED)

HARD 2,499 reviews

Angels Landing Trail (CLOSED) is a 4.1 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Springdale, Utah that offers scenic views and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, trail running, and nature trips and is best used from February until October.

closed

Angels Landing is a strenuous trail in Zion National Park with steep drop-offs and very narrow sections - it is also the most popular hike in Zion. Start by parking at The Grotto trailhead, or taking the West Rim Shuttle to The Grotto shuttle stop. Begin by crossing a bridge over the Virgin River, the first 2-miles of the West Rim Trail are a well-maintained, paved trail. Most of the path is sunny, but Refrigerator Canyon offers shade and often a cool breeze. The trail takes you up Walter's Wiggles, a set of 21 steep switchbacks that take their name from Walter Ruesch, Zion National Park’s first superintendent. The last half-mile (0.8 km) follows a steep and narrow ridge from Scout Lookout to Angels Landing itself, a fantastic observation point 1500 feet above Zion Canyon. Anchored support chains are attached along some sections of the sheer cliff. You are rewarded with an excellent view of the main canyon at the top. Avoid standing near the edge at all times! Do not hike the trail when it is wet, storming, or when high winds are present. If you are afraid of heights this trail is not recommended. This is a good early morning hike to check off your bucket list - it will surely be one of you favorite hikes! Make sure to allow time to be off the trail by dark if starting late in the day.

1 hour ago

Yes the trail IS open! A very strenuous hike (for us 60-somethings) but oh-so-spectacular 360 views of the park from the Landing. Glad we fulfilled another bucket list hike in one our most breathtaking NP’s.

1 hour ago

Not for those afraid of heights, but do it anyways! You’ll be so happy you did. This hike is not to be missed.

Beautiful and challenging hike, well worth at the end.

This hike is awesome! There is a fairly extreme element of danger due to the huge drop offs on either side of the trail, but it makes for a very exciting hike with great views at the end! This trail is extremely crowded especially once you reach the top and the chains.

Wife and I loved it! If you don’t hike much it can be a bit strenuous, but I still tend to recommend this one to anyone (beginners included). The ending makes it all worth it!

a great accomplishment and great workout

I just n

Wow! I hit this puppy early in the morning with some snow sprinkles and I’m glad I left when I did. Boy does it get toasty on the ascent. Easy wide trail, but super steep in sections. Very beautiful views. It also gets CRAZY busy as the day unfolds, which makes you require a bit more patience. After we reached the top, we broke off on another trail for another 2 mi or so. Quite remote & beautiful!!

I have to add that so many people don’t eat the right shoes and they bring little to no water. I personally find that absolutely insane. Do some prep work and don’t put others at risk because you need help.

Great hike !!!

It’s worth it even if you’re afraid of heights! My best suggestion is to go as early as possible because it does get very busy and you will have to wait to inch around people. You hold onto a chain for a good part of the last 1/3 of the hike. But there is plenty of space to sit and enjoy a snack and the views at the top. Not super strenuous in my opinion, and like all other hikes I’ve done there’s always those people running up it like no-big-deal-it’s-just-my-usual-Friday-morning-jog.

One of my all time favorite hikes

One of the most challenging hikes I've done, but it was so amazing! I was in love with this hike, the chains at the end are not for the faint of heart (or those with a fear of heights) but they were such a fun challenge. Willy's wobbles are the series of 25 or so switchbacks prior to the start of the steep section of the trail, which really wore us out! The views all the way up the trail are gorgeous, but once you get to the top it is breathtaking. My advice: go EARLY. we woke up at 0430-0500 to make it to the first shutte (and near the front of the line). By the time we boarded the shuttle, there was already a line of at least 100 people behind us. The hike is also much better in the cool morning air.

I’ve done this hike twice with the entire family. It is an epic hike with very treacherous sections the last 1/2 mike. I agree with others that there are many inexperienced people and the crowds make it dangerous. Most people however are very friendly and courteous, it just makes it difficult for groups to stay together and keep moving. Lots of stop and go, like L.A. traffic on a hiking trail.

Have done angels landing 4 times and will most likely not do it again unless they start some form of permit or limited hikes per day, etc. There is way too many inexperienced people on this hike. I've seen people in flip flops, bare foot holding dress shoes, 5 year old kids crying. This is NOT a place for any of that. They make the trail dangerous. There are times were you're standing on the side of a cliff have to inch around people due to so much traffic. Too many tourists who should not be up there. On a another note, beautiful views from the top. Get on the first bus of the day to beat the crowds.

This hike was awesome! I did it back in April, 2018, before the storm. I took the advice others have given and got on one of the first buses out and had little traffic on the way up but lots on the way down.

Did this one in August 2015. Brutally hot weather, but otherwise great hiking conditions.

The hike up to "base camp" was spectacular - beautifully maintained trails, pleasant elevation gain, and uninterrupted views of the canyon. I would recommend that first leg of the hike to most anybody.

The actual Angel's Landing climb is a completely different beast. Between the heat, the treacherous drop-offs, and the altitude, it was an intense hour or so. The view from the point, though, is fantastic - panoramic views of the canyon and its technicolored rock walls complimented by a dozen or so California Condors circling overhead.

A very memorable experience, and a worthy member of the hiker's hall of fame.

Is this open yet? I am surprised to see comments from people even this week

Mentally tough but rewarding hike.

Hard hike but worth every minute!

i love this hike. not for non hikers.

People are insanely unprepared for this hike. Energy levels are showing way to low and the main hike to the top hasn't even started. The chains are a huge help, but this isn't for the average "walker" or tourist in a pair of snickers. You must be prepared for this, hydrated and the proper footwear. Seriously people! no more near misses- this trail will close permanently

This s one of my favorite hikes of all time!! I've done it several times. Incredible!!!!!I would recommend going early in the morning ( at least in the summer) the sun can be pretty brutal.

It's funny to hike with chains in the hand, but don't too worry about the danger. Just be careful. Actually the most difficult part is before reaching the cliff, as it's very steep. When you hike with chains, you always need to stop to wait for others in the opposite direction, so will not be very tired.

Great hike. I didn’t do the chains but my girlfriend did and loved it. Even the hike up to the plateau at the top is worth it though. Go early to avoid crowds.

One of the best, most iconic hikes in the country. Hope it opens up again soon.

Challenging but fun hike. Go early to beat the heat. View at the top is amazing.

favorite hike in Zion! extremely awesome, sheer vertical cliffs all around.

Four stars, not because of the hike but because they really should permit this hike on/past Scout Lookout. There was TOO many people coming up and down those chains with total disregard for right-of-way and no experience.

The bus to the trail took over an hour and set us back hard. Went in a very hot day wish we could have finished the hike didn’t even get the the wiggles ! We had dogs at a daycare and had to get back to them at 3. I plan to go back dog free and finish the hike didn’t seem difficult just wasn’t in the best mind space

I highly recommend this if you are in shape. Wiggles seemed more difficult than the hike to the top. The view is amazing, but there are many chipmunks and squirrels looking beg or steal food. Do not feed them, their scurrying about under your foot is not safe. Walking along the spine can be intimidating, but it is beyond worth the energy spent