Angels Landing Trail

Angels Landing Trail is a 4.1 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Springdale, Utah that features a river and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, trail running, and nature trips and is best used from February until October.

Distance: 4.1 miles Elevation Gain: 1,617 feet Route Type: Out & Back

partially paved

Angels Landing is a strenuous trail in Zion National Park with steep drop-offs and very narrow sections - it is also the most popular hike in Zion. Start by parking at The Grotto trailhead, or taking the West Rim Shuttle to The Grotto shuttle stop. Begin by crossing a bridge over the Virgin River, the first 2-miles of the West Rim Trail are a well-maintained, paved trail. Most of the path is sunny, but Refrigerator Canyon offers shade and often a cool breeze. The trail takes you up Walter's Wiggles, a set of 21 steep switchbacks that take their name from Walter Ruesch, Zion National Park’s first superintendent. The last half-mile (0.8 km) follows a steep and narrow ridge from Scout Lookout to Angels Landing itself, a fantastic observation point 1500 feet above Zion Canyon. Anchored support chains are attached along some sections of the sheer cliff. You are rewarded with an excellent view of the main canyon at the top. Avoid standing near the edge at all times! Do not hike the trail when it is wet, storming, or when high winds are present. If you are afraid of heights this trail is not recommended. This is a good early morning hike to check off your bucket list - it will surely be one of you favorite hikes! Make sure to allow time to be off the trail by dark if starting late in the day.

1 hour ago

Probably my favorite hike! Will definitely go back as much as I can! The trail is challenging as there are a lot of steep switchbacks, but dont let that stop you from making it to the end! The chains make it a unique hike. The view is a breathtaking all around.

This trail was a difficult hike, but well worth the effort when you get to the top and take in the views.

Did this hike with my son. Awesome hike. Killer views. I will definitely do it again when I’m go back to Zion. Finished it just under 5 hours.

Still as busy as ever on June 21st. I love this hike because of the view and the thrill. Finished the hike in about 3 hours and 42 minutes, could have been faster if there were less traffic on the trail. I always love to dip my tired feet in the Virgin River afterwards as a reward for hiking in the heat of the day.

Awesome hike! Has it all cardio, adrenaline, beautiful views! Go early... very early as the crowds slow down the pace otherwise. Everyone was friendly! When you get to the saddle keep going! Use the chains it gets easier as you go and you and up between rocks and feel less vulnerable to heights. By the time We descended we were desensitized to the heights and we were back at the switchbacks in no time. Hello eccentric is quad loading!

this hike has all the greatest views of Zion NP! It was hard, and though I made it up easily, the way down my legs felt like jello!

This is the best hike I have been on. The first half is filled with switchbacks. The second half is where you get to the chains. It was technical, but does not require special equipment. As long as you are careful and do not take unnecessary risks, you should be safe. Allow people to pass and take turns. Don’t rush and enjoy the view. It is one of a kind. Go as early as you can! Crowds are smaller and it is easier to navigate the narrow portions. I don’t know if I would recommend young children for this trial, as they think they are impervious to danger. If you take your children, impress on them the importance of safety. Happy trails!

went with my wife on this beautiful hike. Walters wiggles still make my legs tired. Hard hike but worth every moment when you get to the end, the landscape is breath taking.

Worth every step! There were a lot of switch backs, & it was a VERY populated hike (even trail runners zipped by), but the view before the rope climb was my favorite!!!

My 2nd favorite hiking trail of all time, only after The Narrows. Plan for a bit of an intense experience. If you're not at Scout's Lookout by 8:30/9 am be prepared for traffic jams and bottlenecks the rest of the way. Even with the slow roll by that point the views and experience are worth it, just be patient. The hike is entirely safe, just be smart.

Easy way up until the last half mile which is very steep n slippery bc of the sand. I had a small slip, but I was able to hang on to the chain to keep from falling. My husband and a complete stranger helped me up. A lot of ppl get to a certain point, sit n have their snacks, enjoy the view n take a few photos. The view is beautiful there, but my thought is, if I made it this far, why not go all the way. It's very narrow up top, but ppl were courteous. While some ppl from the top would come down, ppl at the bottom would wait their turn to come up. It's a must do if you're out West. Good threaded shoes, sun shirt, sunblock, sun hat, water, snacks a must. Moles skin or bandaids just in case you start getting blisters on your feet. I would climb it again. I would not recommend it for kids.

Easily the best hike I’ve ever done in my life. Make sure you bring plenty of water and wear good shoes. The trail was not too heavily trafficked when I went up, but it can be really bad. Would not recommend for those who are afraid of heights, as sometimes you might have to maneuver into a position where you are staring straight down over the cliff (1,000+ foot drop!). There is a chain for about 95% of the trek up the landing, which made me feel a lot safer. Overall, if you get the chance to do this hike-do it! You don’t have to go all the way to the top as the views at scouts landing are also superb. Physically it can be a bit demanding, but isn’t as bad as people say it is. Asides from the section of numerous switchbacks which if anything are just annoying.

Beautiful hike with unique perspective of Zion’s but the the number of people detract a lot.

pretty challenging physical but definitely worth it. view oustanding

Best. Hike. Ever. DO’s: - start early - bring more water than you think you’ll need - bring a good first aid kit DON’Ts: - worry! As long as you’re being a patient, courteous, and mindful hiker (especially on the chains), you’ll have the time of your life. The YouTube videos make it look far scarier than it really is!

Best trail I’ve ever hiked. Last 1/2 mile makes this the best trail in America between the cliffs and the chains you have to use to climb the ridge to the top. You really need to pay attention once you get past Scout’s Lookout but if you take your time, it’s doable for mostly anyone. Definitely get there first thing in the morning because it’s the most popular trail in the park and you don’t want to be hiking up when everyone is coming down.

SO many switchbacks! It probably took me an hour to get to the chains (with little traffic), but I was 20 minutes behind the rest of the group. Beautiful views on the way up! Went of the chains to the top. Don't do if you're afraid of heights! The half of our group that stayed behind said the chains took us like 1-1.5 hours (you don't notice the time because you are so focused on safety). Great experience. very satisfying and beautiful. We were told to go late afternoon 4:30-5ish PM. Yes, PM! We thought that was strange, but it wasn't that crowded (but still plenty of people to ask if you're almost done with the switchbacks!LOL) Perfect time to go!

Angels landing is a beautiful and exciting trail! It’s not easy physically or mentally but as long as you take it slow, focus on your footing, and respect the other hikers on the trail you’ll be just fine. It’s only dangerous if you’re not careful. Bring lots of water and wear proper shoes with a good grip!!

Not for a beginner. Steep ascents via switchback but the views at the end are some of the best of Zion canyon. Section from scouts landing to angels landing was a traffic jam. So we went up west rim a little further and were rewarded with peace and private views.

No sugar coating it, this trail is difficult. Would recommend walking poles to help with climbing up and even more so for coming down. I did this trail while 6 months pregnant (yes, I went to the top), so it IS possible for all abilities, but just know it is not for the faint of heart and you will be using all parts of your body (arms, legs) Also- RT someone saying wearing proper footwear- DO NOT WEAR TENNIS SHOES OR SANDALS

I’d like to echo other reviewers by saying that this is not as scary as it looks on the internet, but it’s definitely one to be taken seriously and attempted only with proper hiking boots and plenty of water. We were very glad that we went the whole way out, and even more so that we had hiking poles to help with our aching knees on the way back down! And P.S. the ascent was not bad at 7am, but on the return trip we did wait in line and have to navigate around others as the trail had gotten crowded. Go as early as possible!

Don’t forget your water. Awesome spot, you have to get to it early and if you cannot do this trail because of to many people, take the west rim up to the plateau, this way has a much better view. Better spot for the off season.

Well worth the effort but get there early as the crowds can get crazy.

Amazing, beautiful, breathtaking hike. The views are amazing. Yes it definitely gets crowded but it’s worth it. Be careful passing others. Let others pass when needed. It’s not a race. Be courteous. And for god sakes wear hiking shoes/boots. I cringe every time I see someone wearing sandals or Nike’s. Even worse.. Nike sandals. Wear proper footwear!!! 10/10 would recommend this trail. So fun!

amazing

Loved this trail! We hiked it early morning over Memorial Day weekend 2019 and the park had begun a new system to ease the congestion at the ridge. At that time, they were allowing 6 people to begin the Angel's Landing trail every 3 minutes. There were park rangers cueing everyone at the trailhead and giving stamps to those headed to Angel's Landing. We had to wait less than a half hour, then up we went. We saw 4 California Condors at the top. The switchbacks were not as brutal as we expected (don't get me wrong, they are steep!) and we made it up quickly. The ridgeline out to the point was fun and challenging. Looks a lot scarier in YouTube videos than it really felt in person. Make sure to wear shoes with excellent traction. We encountered a couple people in tennis shoes who were struggling due to lack of traction. The views are amazing the whole way and the sense of accomplishment upon completion was also wonderful.

Epic. Just be sure to be on the 6 am shuttle.

Thanks to some of the reviewers here, we did this hike in the afternoon when the canyon is under a cool shadow. Much of the trail is paved but steep. The peak is a challenging half mile climb and is mostly uncovered. There were quite a few people on the trail going both ways; makes for a few extra rest stop. The view from the top is absolutely worth the effort. Despite what others may say, this hike is doable for someone even with limited hiking experience. Pack in some grippy gloves and plenty water.

Of the 51 countries that I have hiked, this is likely the best hike of them all. It starts off with a nice incline and set of switchbacks that get the heart rate up. Once you get to the final dragon’s back the climb changes into careful climbing as there are sheer rock faces just feet away from the climbing path of both sides. The views and experience are surreal.