Learn more

Alpine Pond Trail is a 2.2 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Brian Head, Utah that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until November.

Distance: 2.2 miles Elevation Gain: 196 feet Route Type: Loop

Delightful loop trail to pond, flowers, magnificent view of Cedar Breaks No matter how conditioned or experienced of a hiker you are, I've got to call this one a mod-strenuous; if only due to the high elevation (over 10,500') and proximity to the unguarded edge of the Cedar Breaks, with it's 2,500 ft. drop. Although Bryce, Zion & the Grand Canyon are better known than Cedar Breaks, this is the center of where it all happened! The Hurricane Fault created the Grand Staircase, and is what the "Break" refers to. This wonderful little trail is a micro-view of what the area has to offer. This self-guided (buy guide at either trailhead) hike takes you past volcanic (rhyolitic tuff) rocks & rubble, a sinkhole, the pond (look for water insects, marmots, deer, elk, their tracks -- listen to hear the spring that feeds the pond), alpine forest (spruce, fir, pine, aspen, Bristlecones -- observe ravages of the bark beetle), wildflowers (lupine, mountain bluebell, paintbrush, yellow bush, penstemon), amphitheatre (unique unobstructed views), meadows!

Loved this hike. It was a nice cool day and the pond was lovely. We really enjoyed this easy hike

I loved this trail! Beautiful walk, not too difficult. We bought the $2 guide - make sure to do this! We enjoyed stopping at each numbered post to read and learn more about the area. Very enjoyable hike and a nice change of scenery (and temperature) for all of the hikes we’ve been on in Utah.

Great trail for kids. Simple and easy with a great view of the pond and Cedar Breaks.

The current AllTrails route shows the hike starting at the Chessman Overlook parking lot, but instead I'd suggest starting at the Alpine Pond TH proper about a mile up the road so you can pick up the explanatory guide. Trail is your typical alpine environment dotted with views of the ampitheatre. Nice but nothing special in terms of scenery, but I did learn some fun facts from the guide brochure and it's definitely worth the $2 donation. In terms of difficulty I was expecting the hike to be a breeze, but it was surprisingly more challenging than expected due to the elevation.

Fun trail with great views all around. The Alpine Pond reminded me more of a swamp, but it may be better in early spring. There are still patched of snow. Follow me on Instagram @nathan_vanengen for more amazing places to see in the southwest!

This was a nice, simple moderate trail. Beautiful scenic views of Cedar Breaks. Highly trafficked on the weekend in the summer. Lots of kids and difficulty finding a parking spot.

It is open now! Easy hike and scenic view of the pond.

closed

Tried to hike this trail on May 16th but both trailheads were closed.

This is one of my favorite little hikes. In July, the wildflowers are unreal. It’s a pretty easy hike and my kids (ages 4, 6 and 8) handle it pretty well. Lots of shade from the lovely evergreens.

This is a fun little hike. The wildflowers are amazing. This is one of my kids favorites to do.

I’ve done this trail in the winter many times, beautiful views and fun to slide around on the frozen pond

This was a great little trail we did on our last day in UT. A bit overgrown, but it feels wild and the pond was beautiful and lush with dragonflies. A lot of downed trees.

This was our first hike after arriving. Had a bit of trouble adjusting to the altitude but paced ourselves and did fine. Pond is crystal clear and peaceful. Only came upon one group of hikers so enjoyed the serenity. Do the lower trail first as the climb will be easier going up the upper trail. So glad we did this hike.

Has a few nice views or the meadows and the canyons, but mostly walking thru trees and blowdown. The alpine pond is a brief but nice area. Somewhat challenging hike if you're not used to the altitude, like myself. Enjoyed the hike over all. Lots of shared area, but it was a cool breezy day so that wasn't quite as important. Lots and lots of wildflowers and (non-nuisance) insect activity.

This was a wonderful hike we took with our family and carrying an infant . The views were amazing in all directions while on the trail. The pond was bigger than I imagined and so inviting. The trail is well maintained. I recommend taking the lower trail and wind back on the upper trail.

beautiful views of cedar breaks. Take poles, little strenuous in places, but then we are in out 60s and just here 24 hrs from the east coast

Very beautiful trail, with lots to see! The pond was so crystal clear that I could see right through the water almost like it wasn't there. There were a few spots that you could walk off the path and see expansive views of the mountain as well.

this is one of our family's favorite trails! gorgeous Wildflowers, views of cedar breaks, can't beat it! go at sunset time for amazing lighting!

I had always avoided this one, because it seemed like a simple "family" trail. It was easy, but beautiful, especially with the wildflowers.

Great hike for all ages! Beautiful views. Lots of shade. We went around 10am and didn’t start feeling the heat until the end.

Fun hike. The flowers are blooming and beautiful.

Alpine pond trail is an easy fun little hike at Cedar Breaks. Get some nice views, but unfortunately the lower portion of the trail was closed while I was there.

Thu Jul 04 2019

The lower trail is closed because of giant snow drifts you would have to hike over. No pets allowed. July 2019 the pond is full and clear. The trails are wet in some area but most can be avoided.

Thu Jul 04 2019

No pets allowed. June 2019 there was still snow on the trail in some places. Lower trail is closed. You can get to the pond if you disregard the signs but you will be walking on large snow drifts! Pond is extra full and clear!

Sun Jun 23 2019

Still closed as of 6/23/19

Sat Oct 06 2018

Great for kids too! Gorgeous views and not too strenuous.

Sun Sep 16 2018

Excellent walk and views to get in between Bryce and Zion national parks! A total change of scenery and a refreshing one (Driving up to the peak of Brian Head is also a great part that is on the way as well, and in Brian Head you can find some good pizza that goes great with the winter feeling!)

Tue Sep 11 2018

Beautiful easy trail. Great trail during the summer or fall. Since it's high elevation, I wouldn't recommend it during spring since there still could be snow. We have hiked this several times and love it. Wildflowers are great in the summer and you can get some great pics of Cedar Breaks along the lower trail. Like all hiking trails, you still need proper footware. We saw several people with either flip flops or ladies dress sandles ... bad idea. The upper trail is more trees and meadows, but still fun to hike. I would recommend doing this as a full loop to get the full expience of seeing the pond from up close and above. There are some trail guides at the start (if available) that are fun for kids to read at each of the markers along the way. This trail is good for all ages.

Sun Sep 02 2018

Love being surrounded by all of the green trees and flowers. Water is always nice to have on a trail, especially when you live in Vegas. Pretty easy trail if you can handle the elevation.