Learn more

Allsop Lake Trail is a 16.9 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Oakley, Utah that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from July until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 16.9 miles Elevation Gain: 2,057 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Allsop is situated in a small cirque basin at the head of the Left Hand Fork of the East Fork Drainage. Access is 8.5 miles southeast of the East Fork-Bear River Trailhead on the East Fork and Left Hand Fork pack trails

Sat Jul 06 2019

We had three little kids with us and were able to make it about 6 1/2 miles in on the trail. Trail conditions were very wet and several large trees crossing the trail. Spent two nights wondering this beautiful part of the Uintas. Well worth the experience!

Sun May 26 2019

I went the first week of September 2018. Timing is everything. Not much mud or mosquitoes. It was chilly at night, but the views were amazing and the leaves were turning yellow and orange. The trail/hike in was fairly easy unless you're not use to the higher altitude. great scenery up and back, I never got board on the trail. The fishing wasn't any good, but the fish had changed colors and we're spawning.

Sun May 19 2019

Mid August still had muddy spots. Nice and easy but a long ways in. Good one to take the younger kids because they aren’t as likely to get lost in this big box canyon. Beautiful views. Plentiful fish, on the small side. Not too rough for horses.

Tue May 07 2019

This one’s been on the bucket list for a long time. The hike in is wonderful. There is a bit of exposure just as you finish the top of the switchbacks. Nothing that’s not manageable, but a fall in this section would not be advised. After the switchbacks it just seems like a never ending set of meadows. Arriving at Alsop Lake is really nice! Yard Peak towers over the lake. A long walk but worth every step. Only down side was running into some cows in the boggy section above the falls. Can we please gate those animals at the wilderness boundaries? Fun trip! Good fishing if you know your stuff. I would return here.

Tue Sep 18 2018

This trail was awesome. I came from SC and had no problem completing it. There isn't that much of a climb but it is pretty long. I lost a blue Nalgene along the way. It has an Orange "Spy" sticker, a Yeti sticker, a Harborside Pizza, Cordova, AK sticker, and a Blacksburg meadery sticker. If someone finds it, DM on IG @ mroody12 Thanks!

Mon Aug 27 2018

Amazing place to visit!

Wed Aug 08 2018

Beautiful! For an accurate trail guide with photos and map, check out my post: http://www.girlonahike.com/2018/08/backpacking-to-allsop-lake-uintas.html

Tue Aug 01 2017

Great backpacking destination! Aside from a moderate amount of mosquitoes, numerous lake fish, we had the place to ourselves. Where was everybody!? Wildflowers between 0-2 miles were awesome. Quite a few cattle at miles 2-4. From mile 5 to the lake, you are walking in some pretty scenic meadows. Bring your camera! It took us about 4.5 hours to reach the lake and just under four returning to the car. There are several small sections that were muddy and swampy from horseback riding, which required circumnavigating. The trail is a very gradual and deceiving uphill, there are only two switchbacks. If you want a place to yourself, consider this destination. Easily fives stars, but minus one star for trail conditions and mosquitoes.

Fri Sep 09 2016

This is a great destination that really gets you a feel for what the Uintas have to offer. A friend and I did it during mid-August this year (2016) with packs. We split it up into 3 days, making things pretty easy on us for day 1 and 2, with the whole trek back being done on day 3. The trail up to Allsop Lake was difficult to follow at times. It weaves through some marshy areas where the grasses have overgrown the trail. There are a few cairns that will help you find your way, keep an eye out for those. We saw a few cows, but not so many that there wasn't a place to camp as has been said by others. The weather was a little unpredictable (as always in the Uintas) but we didn't get soaked at any point, which was good. If you proceed south once reaching the lake (along the eastern shore), you'll find a spot with some boulders where we camped quite peacefully on our second night, very nice spot. If you're up for an adventure: I had wondered about the possibility of traversing the ridge between Allsop and Deadhorse Lake before we left. I made an attempt without my pack to pick my way up a gulley to the southeast of our camp, and was successful in reaching a ridge south of what might be called the Allsop Peaks. However, I don't recommend doing so unless you're very comfortable moving through loose rock and aren't planning on carrying a pack with you. The steepness, combined with the nature of the scree would make the gulley very tough to climb with a pack. Anyways, at the top of that ridge there was a gorgeous view of Deadhorse to the east and Allsop back to the west, along with the cirques surrounding both. Worth it if you're experienced and stupid enough to try it. Be careful going back down, I tried to find a different route and nearly fell twenty feet where the cliffs shear back. Go back down the same gulley, it seems to be the only way down.

Wed May 18 2016

Nice easy but long trail to a nice alpine cirque. The lake is pretty, but a bit on the small side. Unfortunately the area was completely trashed by cattle while I was there. The trail was destroyed, and the meadows and flowers completely trampled and killed from the cattle. It was near impossible to find a spot to pitch my tent due to the fact that there was a cow pie every 2-3 feet on all flat areas.

Wed Jul 30 2014

Trail is seldom used beyond the falls (5 miles) Very quaint, narrow drainage that climbs steadily deom the top of the falls until Allsop is reached. Trail is faint in places but you cant get lost. Lower portion goes through the 2008 burn scar. Pristine meadows and decent fishing.

Mon Sep 07 2009

Good trail that climbs steeply once it leaves the river. It sits in a beautiful drainage.

Mon Mar 25 2019