Adams Canyon Trail is a 3.4 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Layton, Utah that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

rock climbing

Directions from Salt Lake City: Travel north on Highway 89 and take the first right past Oakhills Road (Layton City Water Tank). Take another right (south) on the frontage road. Park at the end of pavement at fenced off reservoir. Trail starts on north side of the reservoir. This trail has good access to the Bonneville Shoreline Trail.

absolutely gorgeous. after a set of switch backs, you follow a stream all the way up to the falls which offers a nice tranquil sound for the entire hike. You also see some amazing views of the mountains throughout. The hike is fairly challenging in a few places! younger children probably wouldn't be the best to bring here, but older kids would be okay. One of the best hikes I've done!

Amazing views all the way up. Missed peak fall by a week. Trail wasn’t marked very well but it looked like all variations lead to the same point. Phone was at 1% couldn’t record down.

My favorite trail so far for Autumn colors, I went with my friend on Sunday. Very friendly trail as well enjoyed seeing everyone out with their dogs and children. Everyone greeted one another and said good morning.

Beautiful creekside trail especially in the fall. It is moderately challenging if you are not in shape. I personally love this hike and repeat it quite often.

Amazing views and the fall colors were breathtaking. We had an amazing day.

We went to perfect timing with fall leaves and weather. At the top (waterfall) , it can get cold so we were glad we had a good jacket (next time I will bring gloves for my kids hand). Good thing we had a friend who knew exactly where to find the location, it can get little tricky off HWY 89. We started to hike around 3:30pm and were able to catch the sunset by 7pm. It is dog friendly but little kids may need help to go all the way. Even if you don’t go all the way, it is fun to bring family there. I was told every season this hike is different. Probably not in mid summer where it can get really hot (unless hiking in the early morning). Can’t wait to return back again.

Beautiful Fall hike. Loved the parts along the creek.

Bring a change of socks if you don't want squish foot. This is worth the climb.

Wonderful hike. A little technical in some places.

amazing trail if you need something to kick your butt. the first little section is a bit awful just because of the dust and switchbacks but once you're past those, it's all beautiful and shady! dogs are free to roam off the leash and mine loves all the water along the way.

its uphill the whole way good times beautiful waterfall. beginners were at that are we there yet about 3/4 way. lolz. so worth it. well worn trail.

Lovely hike to a beautiful waterfall. i enjoyed hiking by the stream and seeing all the beautiful little cascades of water and mini waterfalls. We started early but I can imagine when it is hot the first part would be a beast! The information we read said dogs were welcome if on a leash...I saw lots of dogs and none of them were on a leash! The dog poop along the trail left by inconsiderate dog owners was a real distraction to this beautiful trail! Come on dog owners pick up after your dogs or don't use this trail!

Great hike to a beautiful waterfall.

Great hike / trail run. 3.9 miles from the Parking lot, 1.5 hours. Good workout

There are three parts to this hike.
Part 1: Walking up switchbacks on sand (!) with a city view behind you (also Bonneville Shoreline Trail)
Part 2: Very nice hike along Adams Creek in shade on dirt-and-rock path
Part 3: Do-able scramble up large rocks

It is about 2 miles from the parking lot to the falls and took 1 hour. (We are average 20-something Utah transplants and it was a lovely fall morning.) So in total, about 4 miles or 2-2.5 hours. It is incline the whole way in and decline the whole way out.

The reviews here that say 3.4 miles total I believe stopped at the first little waterfall that kind of runs through a couple large boulders. When we got to that, my watch said exactly 1.7 mi. — The others that include pictures at the base of an actual waterfall did the 1/2 mile or so large rock scramble that comes after that initial falls.

Our dog loved this trail. Going in the morning was awesome because it was the perfect temperature before it started getting hot, and the trail was noticeably busier on the way back. Everyone on the trail was super courteous and friendly.

The parking lot is really uneven and rocky, but was very nice to have and more than enough space for the 8am to 10am crowd.

Pretty steep the way up. Gets to a tree line and then all shade walking by the river. Keep winding up to a horseshoe turn right eventually and you’ll find the waterfall.

Great out and back hike. Falls at top are beautiful.

This is one of THE best hikes I have been on. The scenery is amazing. A beautiful running creek flows alongside most of the trail. The reward of this hike only gets better as you reach the breath taking waterfall at the top.

My first hike in Utah! Definitely was a little bummed at first with the dust and switchbacks but after that it's beautiful! Shady and nice scenery. Get diversity of rocks and dirt trails and the waterfall at the end was pretty. Plenty of places to stop for a sip of water for both me and my pup!

Great trail. Some steep parts but very scenic and full of nice people.

This was a fun trail. I would recommend shoes with plenty of grip. There are plenty sections of the trail where it's loose dirt and it's easy to lose your footing. Moderate is a good rating. The trail has plenty of areas that will elevate your heartrate!

This was a very enjoyable hike. Not the best for the first half a mile but after that you follow the river most of the way and there are 4 water falls on this trail with the last one being the best. I'm ready to do this one again. one of my favorites.

great place to hike. many dogs off leash and very cool people. river runs along with trail for a lot of the hike and some great shade once you get into the trees. Beautiful and a lot of fun. My dog Shenzi had a wonderful time and I got a great work out. I would recommend it to anyone!!!

This trail is really pretty; the first 1/2 mile is hot, but once you hit the shade, it is rather pleasant. The hike along the creek is cool with plenty of opportunities to cool off if you choose. The final 1/2 mile to the waterfall is a little steep, but it is completely worth it in the end. The trail is heavily trafficked, so if you are looking for seclusion, this is not the place.

Had a great hike. Gets a little step and rocky before the waterfall. It's quite refreshing once you get there. My 6 year old was able to make it.

First part of trail .5 miles is all sun and you feel like your in the desert. Then it turns along the river and all shade. Nice to follow river up to waterfalls. Waterfall is nice and you can splash around before heading down.

Oldie but goodie. Not too difficult for the most part. The last half mile or so may be a little challenging for kids.

This is my son's favorite trail. We have to do it every year. I have to admit with the heat I was not looking forward to it. Leaving later in the day was really pretty nice. The creek kept the heat down and the traffic was not too bad. Watched a great sunset on the way down.

This a beautiful hike but I am 60 and in pretty good condition and I would call this hike hard. There were lots of young people but not a lot of older adults (senior). As you get to the top you are climbing through the rocks at a fairly steep incline. That being said the payoff at the end, the falls, are amazing. It was worth the climb definitely.

Beautiful