Adams Canyon Trail

Adams Canyon Trail is a 5.2 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Layton, Utah that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until December. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Directions from Salt Lake City: Travel north on Highway 89 and take the first right past Oakhills Road (Layton City Water Tank). Take another right (south) on the frontage road. Park at the end of pavement at fenced off reservoir. Trail starts on north side of the reservoir. This trail has good access to the Bonneville Shoreline Trail.

Pretty nice trail with the exception of Dog ish everywhere, the first 1/4 of the hike basically smelled like crap the entire way, kind of annoying to go on a hike out in nature and have to smell that for so long, I guess that's what you get when you go on a dog friendly hike, lesson learned, won't be doing it again.

This is a beautiful hike, I go once almost every week for exercise. I love this hike, my only complaint are the inconsiderate people who refuse to take responsibility for their animal and the graffiti. Along the first part there are constantly bags of dog poo littered throughout it. I don't understand why some people will pick it up, but then toss the bag. Besides that I love this hike.

we loved this hike. It was more difficult than we expected, but all of us made it, including the 7 year old. Parts of it were a scramble and some of it was nerve wracking for this mama. I would not have categorized it as a noderate hike, but would absolutley do it again.

This is definitely a scenic hike however the trail is extremely dangerous past the bridge up to the waterfall. The intensity of this trail, I think, should be re-categorized as hard. I could easily see severe injury or death as a reality on this hike. especially if you bring the littles. There are sharp rocks, steep falls, and narrow pathways that require you to grasp and hold on for dear life. It is not kid friendly past the bridge but up until then it's safe enough. if I hadn't brought my 10 yr old son then I wouldn't have been so paranoid but it's pretty hard

absolutely fantastic hike, but I would probably would rate it hard instead of moderate

Great, tough hike. So many dogs on the trail though. Wish people would clean up after their pets

Fully sun exposed for the first 1/4 of the trail, leading into shaded woods once in the canyon. Best to start early and avoid midday sun when ascending the exposed section. It's a moderate family-friendly hike until the bridge at around 2/3 of the way to the falls. After the bridge I would call it a moderate-hard with minor rock scrambling. Although there were many children and carried babies on the trail, I would not call it family-friendly after the bridge. There are numerous steep sections where slips can lead to falls over small cliffs with serious injury. Before bringing children or infants, please hike the trail yourself and make an informed assessment of whether to bring them. It can get dicey at times for children. That said, reaching the waterfall is completely worth it. Recommend waterproof boots or bringing water shoes as you will be stream hiking around the waterfall. Trekking poles are very helpful.

enjoyable

this is a hard trail wjere you will be climbing rocks and traversing through rapids, but its totally worth it. it took us about 3 hours round trip with several breaks.

the beginning is brutal, but you're hiking along the creek most of the way up so it's nice and cool and scenic.

Beautiful like! 2 year old did it with some help on the scramble parts. Loved the falls at the end and the natural coolness by the river!

First time I went hiking was at Adams Canyon and it was great. It's rough in the beginning, mainly because you have to get up a hill to get to the trees and all the nice nature.

Pretty busy trail on the weekends. Recommend trek poles and waterproof shoes/boots.