Adams Canyon Trail

Adams Canyon Trail is a 3.4 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Layton, Utah that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Directions from Salt Lake City: Travel north on Highway 89 and take the first right past Oakhills Road (Layton City Water Tank). Take another right (south) on the frontage road. Park at the end of pavement at fenced off reservoir. Trail starts on north side of the reservoir. This trail has good access to the Bonneville Shoreline Trail.

I love this trail, it was very fun and adventures throughout. me and my partner made it to the end where there is a very beautiful waterfall at the end much rewarding. my first this year 2018.

Great little hicking trail. very rocky by my 4 kids made it just fine ages 8, 6, 4 and 2 in a baby backpack.

This is a great hike if you want a quick escape. However, there are a lot of people, so be prepared for that. I've gone in the early spring before and that was kind of fun... made it a little more exciting with the ice and mud :)

Beautiful hike, totally worth it. I got 4.5 miles total though on my Apple Watch and on the recording from this app so it’s more than what it says. It’s wasn’t bad at all after you got past the first part. There is dog poop because apparently people can’t pickup after their dogs, but it was still worth it!

I tripped down this hike about 8 times, but other than that beautiful hike!

great hike and waterfall is nice at the end, lots of cool spots to climb rocks and get better views of the waterfall or scenic forest tops if you like to free climb. Annoying part is people leave there dog poop everywhere, and when they do use a doggie poop bag, they just leave the poop there on the ground in the bag. Some pretty inconsiderate people thats for sure.

Great hike nothing to complain about on the trail. Always nice to get to the shaded area and the waterfall is still awesome

I have not made it to the waterfall yet but love this trail. If you’re new to hiking at this altitude I would take it easy at the beginning during the switchbacks.

This trail was awesome!! It was also 3.0+ mi up and 3.0+ miles back. This trail is 6 miles long to reach the big waterfall with ~1,700 elevation gain (according to strava). The trail is not well shaded for the first 1 mi, and it’s all uphill. Once you hit the stream it’s mostly shaded. Bring an extra jacket, water proof/resistant once you reach the top. The trail is also more moderate/hard once you hit the bigger stream/falls (~last 1.5 mi up), so no strollers. It is a difficult climb up for the last 1 mi, and not great for people who are clumsy, not paying attention, or those who are used to lower elevations. Overall- dog friendly, moderate/hard, wear good hiking shoes that you can get wet. We brought a 9 and 6 year old and they were struggling to hike uphill so much, on uneven terrain. Remember *yield to uphill traffic *. Thanks for reading!!

Love this trail! It’s a popular one, and really beautiful. I would recommend hiking it in the morning, because even on a cool day you’ll break a pretty good sweat. My only complaint is that because it’s well populated, there is a decent amount of litter along the trail (as well as dog poop). Come on people, how hard is it to clean up after yourself?

The trail is very rocky and steep in places. There are lots of shaded places to take a break. Give yourself plenty of time, the waterfall at the end is amazing.

Wow those switchbacks at the beginning are rough. I don’t usually have my asthma triggered from hiking, but I had to use my inhaler 3 times before getting to the top. Once we were on the trail it was pretty clear where to go. Kids and dogs did okay, but there are a lot of steep spots and rocks to climb. Didn’t make it all the way to the waterfall, but it was still fun.

Nice pretty hike real rocky at top pretty water fall watch out for rattlesnake I all most ran into one

Great hike! Was able to easily do with my 9 year old. Exposed to the sun in the switchbacks but shaded once you reach the canyon. Several spots to cool down in the creek too.

The only complaint was a minority of dog owners who were irresponsible in not picking up after their pets. This is a very busy trail, requiring everybody to do their part in keeping it clean for those that follow.

Fun trail! it does get steep and kind hard at the top. Bring good shoes because you will need to climb rocks and boulders. I brought my dog and he had a great time.

Took dog, very much moderate but plenty of break spots along the way to a nice waterfall. Lots of rocky spots, wear good shoes and take it slow (some were loose).

One of my favorites because it gives you a huge varieties of challenges. Towards the waterfall you will encounter a little rock scaling but nothing to severe.
Weekends tend to be a little crowded but most hikers are courteous and will give way. Lots of puppies including mine will be out on the trail.

Happy Trails...

Our family of five really enjoyed our first hike in Northern Utah today! We took the trail to the right to check out the Lower Canyon waterfall and really enjoyed playing around the falls. It took us about an hour round trip, and was the perfect way to spend a morning!

We loved this trail! For a family with young children, it was perfect. A great length and challenge. The switchbacks were steep, but not too difficult. Above the switchbacks, we took the trail to the right and went to the lower falls. There was one area where it was tricky getting our four- and two-year-old down, but our five-year-old was a champ. It was really pretty along the whole trail, great views of the city, horizon, and mountains.

This is a beautiful hike, but not as pretty as it used to be. The popularity of this trail shows in the amount of litter up this canyon. Graffiti in the form of carving trees, logs and scrawling on rock faces also seems on the rise. I hike this canyon weekly so perhaps I notice it more than others.

Aside from the litter and graffiti, this canyon is beautiful! The trail is well maintained although rocky and runs right next to the river for the majority of the hike. It is also fairly shaded making late morning and early afternoon hikes fairly comfortable. Plan on 45-120 minute hike times up to the falls depending on your personal level of fitness. You will encounter other people and many dogs on this trail so not a place of solitude if that is what you seek. If you do take this hike, please take an extra bag and pack some litter out with you on your way down the trail!

Went up about 7pm yesterday (end of May) even after the rain was damp but not so muddy that we slid around or anything. After you get into the shady trees it is quite a bit darker so if you are planning on an evening hike keep in mind it will get dark earlier. Lots of climbing up boulders as part of the trail and once you reach the waterfall, just plan on feet getting wet in the shallow water that you’ll want to walk through. Beautiful views at sunset.

First time going up there today. Very intense! The view is beautiful and the waterfall is worth the ruff terrain. Wear hiking shoes and take snacks.

50 years old and not in shape, but steady persistence makes for a great day with the family!!

Whoa this hike was difficult. Being new to the area and still getting used to the elevation this hike kicked our butt. We made it though! The waterfall was absolutely worth it. Little purple butterflies everywhere it was picturesque. The way there was exhausting a lot of uphill and a couple areas where you climbed over rocks but nothing drastic. The way back was easy we flew back to the parking lot. Just a couple areas on the way down were steep and you had to be careful not to slip which I nearly landed on my back a few times if it weren’t for my skillz. Also when you see the bridge about a quarter of the way on the trail don’t go that way. We did for a while and had to backtrack. Which was dumb cause it should have been common sense to stay near the creek so we ended up on Bonneville which was a nice trail and cacti everywhere.. but yes if you see the bridge don’t continue on that trail. Good spot to take a break though! Bring lots of water!! And a snack/meal to reward yourself when you make it to the falls ;-)

Great hike.

Great trail to take the kids and dogs. Get there early!

Beautiful!

The first part of this hike is difficult due to the steep switch backs, then you get into the green and it is beautiful at every turn! It is steep in some areas with lose rocks, so go slow, and coming down was a bit scary. However I was doing this packing my 6 month old, so it’s possible. I’m a moderately in-shape person. Would not recommend this for young kids. It took my friend and I about 2.5 hours out and back while staying at the falls for a while.