Adam's Cabin Trail

Adam's Cabin Trail is a 5.7 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Layton, Utah that features a great forest setting and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is best used from March until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Hike and a cabin for the Night Just a few miles East of Fernwood park you will find an old Stone cabin This cabin is on National Forest land and is available for public use. The cabin is popular during hunting season and gets occasional use during the summer months. The hike to the cabin is about 2600 feet vertical in about 2.6 miles. The trail is steep and rough. To get to the cabin start at N 41 degrees 05.279' and W 111 degrees 53.873' where you will cross the stream and follow a very well used trail. You should be overlooking the valley soon from this point. Continue to follow this trail which will soon turn due east and become very steep as it heads up the mountain ridge. At 6300 feet you will be in oaks. Continue to the fork which will lead you to an old abandoned cabin with a dirt floor, sheet metal roof and stone walls, elevation 7650 ft. So whether you need a good day hike or want to spend a quite night in the mountains you will find a refuge here in the cabin.

very nice views

Nothing like a great hike to help you realize how woefully out of shape you are. The first .5 mile is not bad at all. Simple, sandy switchbacks. Then you come to the fork with the Bonneville Shoreline trail, Adams Canyon trail, and the Adams Cabin trail. The trail is obvious for the BST and the Canyon trail but I had to look for the Cabin trail. The AllTrails map helped a lot to find it. Turns out the washed out trail going straight up the hill was it. And it was steep. No switchbacks, just straight up. Like Frodo climbing mt. Doom. It is pretty exposed. I left at 6:30 so the sun hadn't come over the mountains yet. You get in to some scrub oak sections which were pretty cool and covered. The last .5 mile is pretty bushwacky. Lots of overgrowth covering the trail but I never lost it. Scratched my legs up pretty good but whatever. But again, mostly just straight up. The Cabin was kind of cool. The sun peeked over the top of the mountain right as I got to it so got some cool pictures. Jogged/Shuffled most of the way down. Pretty sketchy in some spots but not terrible. Out of the 40+ cars at the trail head, I did not see a single person on the Cabin trail. Everyone does the Canyon trail but I enjoy the alone time. I did the whole thing in 2:30:30. About an 1.5 hrs to the Cabin and an 1 hr down. Strava clocked 5.9 miles and 3000ft elevation gain. I took 3 liters of water, drank one on the way up, downed one at the cabin and drank the last when I got to my car. The views are pretty incredible of the valley and the canyons on either side.

Fun trail but definitely not the easiest to navigate your way through, at least when I did it. Lots of cool views! Definitely not a beginners hike.

Be very very careful there are A LOT of rattlesnakes on this trail right now. We seen 15+ snakes just recently. Awesome trail though if your looking for a good workout. lol

I hiked this trail on June 3rd 2017
This is the steepest trail I have ever hiked and the most Beautiful. No one was on this trail .. it's very slippery going down the trail I fell several times .
Cleated hiking shoes is a must or slip on your snow spikes for the trek back down .. stunning views .. lizards every where .. pretty flowers .. take tons of water .. great work out !!
By far my favorite trail .
I'm 55 in good shape !! Not a beginners trail

Great hike. It was not a casual hike. We did have to traverse snow for about a 100 yards at the top. The cabin was accessible even though it was still drifted. Legs felt like rubber when we got back. Can't wait to do it again.

Didn't make it to the cabin due to snow drifts at 7291'. There was a group that was coming down from spending the night at the cabin and they told us the trail for the last 0.5 mile was at least a foot of snow. At the rate, we were moving it was going to take us an hour without trekking poles and not everyone had winter boots. Our group watched the weather move in right as we were getting to the first large rock outcropping and visibility disappeared and we were in the clouds with a steady snowfall coming down on us. The hardest part of the whole trail is the fork off of the Adam's Canyon Trail that goes up the ridge. Once you get thru this section, it levels off to a reasonable gradient. Wished we could have seen the valley from where we were and will have to try again in the future.

We got to the upper part of this trail by climbing up from Adams Falls hoping to see the cabin but didn't get high enough. Still the view of Great Salt Lake and the snow capped mountains to the west was amazing. Good easy to follow trail. The trail descends quite quickly so it must be quite a climb