Adam's Cabin Trail is a 5.8 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Layton, Utah that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking and nature trips and is best used from March until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 5.8 miles Elevation Gain: 2,946 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Just a few miles East of Fernwood Park, there is an old stone cabin located on national land and available for public use. The cabin is popular during hunting season and gets occasional use during the summer months. The hike to the cabin is about 2600 feet vertical in about 2.6 miles. The trail is steep and rough. To get to the cabin start at N 41 degrees 05.279' and W 111 degrees 53.873' where you will cross the stream and follow a very well used trail. You should be overlooking the valley soon from this point. Continue to follow this trail which will soon turn due east and become very steep as it heads up the mountain ridge. At 6300 feet you will be in oaks. Continue to the fork which will lead you to an old abandoned cabin with a dirt floor, sheet metal roof and stone walls, elevation 7650 ft.

Loose rocks, overgrown, muddy, and steep. This trail has it all. The view were great but the trail not so much. I probably wouldn't recommend this trail to someone unless they really wanted to see the cabin or as a route to Thurston Peak. Make sure you don't miss the start of the trail right when you hit the Bonnevile Shoreline. I made the mistake of going into the canyon.

Beautiful trail, terrain wasn't particularly difficult but it's a lot of uphill. There is running water right by the cabin but definitely bring a water filter. Try to get as close as you can to the water pipe. There is rusted metal further down.

Super fun

Deserves it’s hard rating. This is a rough hike. The incline gets steep early on and doesn’t let up. Pretty views from the top. Cool to see the little cabin and how people have stocked it. Parts are really overgrown as well but overall a pretty good hike/workout/challenge. Go early. Not much shade for the first while and it would be really hard in the heat.

Beautiful hike. The trail is easy to follow. I drank my whole Camelback by 3/4 of the way up. Luckily I came across a small stream. The stream doesn't look like it will be there much longer so take plenty of water. The trail is steep and mostly loose/pebbly. Definitely a calf burner up and a quad burner down! The shack was awesome! I did a little housekeeping and left a few necessities.

Steep but fun. Some good views. The cabin is really nothing to write home about.

Some people are saying that a week ago there was alot of snow, but as of today, we made it the entire way in just normal boots. There was a tiny bit of snow right before the cabin, but it was super easy for us to walk across, and the cabin is completely clear of snow at this point. I do NOT recommend this hike for anyone who is not an avid hiker. Be prepared for full sun exposure the entire time.

icy

This trail is pretty steep. Snow blocks you from getting to the cabin in may and it’s too hot to hike in summer so I suggest October If you do not have snowshoes. Wonderful views and a great workout.

icy

The first part of the trail has a ton of loose rock, making it a little dicey. At the end is a fair bit of snow. I had gaiters and spikes, but kept sinking in the snow about 2-3 feet. Really need snowshoes for that last bit. One downside is that you can hear the highway traffic for most of the hike, along with the jets from the nearby Air Force base.

Went today April 7, 2020 there were not a lot on the trail. I went around 10:00 passed two on the way up but on the way down there was A lot more. I think they were going to the waterfall. About 2.2 miles up the snow started. I didn’t use spikes but I did have poles. Spikes may be a good idea especially if it freezes at night. I would say about .2 miles or so from the cabin the snow got really deep. I didn’t use snow shoes but it may be a good idea. My leg went all the way in the snow a few times. If you aren’t going to use snow shoes I would wear gators. I had them but didn’t put them on. My socks got pretty wet. It was a pretty good hike.