Adam's Cabin Trail is a 5.7 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Layton, Utah that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking and nature trips and is best used from March until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Just a few miles East of Fernwood Park, there is an old stone cabin located on national land and available for public use. The cabin is popular during hunting season and gets occasional use during the summer months. The hike to the cabin is about 2600 feet vertical in about 2.6 miles. The trail is steep and rough. To get to the cabin start at N 41 degrees 05.279' and W 111 degrees 53.873' where you will cross the stream and follow a very well used trail. You should be overlooking the valley soon from this point. Continue to follow this trail which will soon turn due east and become very steep as it heads up the mountain ridge. At 6300 feet you will be in oaks. Continue to the fork which will lead you to an old abandoned cabin with a dirt floor, sheet metal roof and stone walls, elevation 7650 ft.

Hiked last summer...Fair warning they’re not kidding when they say this hike is hard. I’ve hiked plenty of ‘hard’ rated hikes before and this one kicked my butt. I would recommend hiking early in the morning or on a cooler day since most of the hike is in the sun. The beginning of the hike was really hard to find since it doesn’t look like a trail at all. It just looks like a dirt hill...you basically go up the switchbacks and then walk straight up this super steep dirt hill that eventually starts to form a trail. On the way up the hike there’s a little cave thats pretty cool by all the big rock formations so don’t miss that. The cabin is in good shape and was really cool, it made the difficult hike worth it...bring plenty of water, you’ll need more than you think trust me.

I came across the cabin and used the trail as part of my descent from Thurston Peak. I decided to make a detour and see the cabin while I was in the area.
My thoughts on the cabin? Meh. I would definitely not have made the trek up this trail just to see it, but that’s just me. I didn’t look inside of it, nor did I care to. As for the trail - I only descended it but man was it unenjoyable. Scrub oak impeded the trail the whole time, loose rocks, sandy, washed out in some areas. I wouldn’t even say the views would be worth the effort, but I didn’t look up from the trail for fear of tripping over roots or rocks. It’s uphill the entire way so if you want a workout, here it is.
The real problem is that not enough people use the trail to keep the oak cleared away. I wouldn’t recommend this route as you will get beat up by the terrain.

This trail was ridiculous! It doesn't even look like a trail, just washout. It goes straight up the mountain and the first part after the sandy switchbacks, is completely exposed. Just rubble and small shrubs, no shade at all. You will need either a hiking stick or ski poles to make this hike, especially for the way down. It's very steep and very easy to trip or slide. I didn't even make it a mile before I was done, not a hike so much as a couple hours on a stair master.

that was amazing,but it's just uphill

Made a trip up here before the snow really starts to fly. This is a great hike and the cabin is in good shape.

You go straight up, the entire time, you have been warned. Beautiful and well worth the hike! The cabin is awesome and would be fun to use one day. You do need to be in good shape to do this hike. I say that because the last part of the trail is dangerous to traverse especially if you are low on energy! We used all 4 liters of water and would take a bit more the next time we go. My Wife killed it on this trail, but it was still difficult. This hike will make you feel good.

As others have mentioned, the trail is overgrown, especially near the top. Coming down, the steep incline and loose trail conditions make it hard to find stable footing.

nice trail but almost dead, because of mother nature is closing the trail...

Did this trail yesterday. It was the second time I've done it. 1000' / mile. It took 2 hours up and 50 mins down. It's a hard climb but very worth it.

My son and I started out the hike around 6:00 pm with the cabin as our goal. We really thought we could could do an out and back before it got dark. We only had the t-shirts and shorts we were wearing and a couple of granola bars for food. We ended up getting to the cabin, but by that time it was getting dark and a storm was coming in. We were soaked with sweat, and we made the decision to just go ahead and stay in the cabin for the night instead of facing the dark and cold wind of the incoming storm. Needless to say we made the best of the situation and gathered up some firewood, made us a nice fire to warm up with and to dry out our clothes. We shared the granola bars for dinner and we explored our shelter for the night. We found a gas stove with propane to heat up water or cook some food. We also found a flash light which helped to light up the cabin, and a battery operated set of Christmas lights we turned on that really set the mood. The sleeping bags were great, and my son picked the warmer flannel one. He quickly found out that a family of spiders had made their home in it after crawling in to get warm. It was great fun seeing him scramble out of the bag as the family of spiders started coming out to investigate the intruder. He shook it out real well to get them all out. The wind blew all night, and a branch from a tree kept scraping on the metal roof which sounded like an animal scratching and trying to get in. We finally got warm and our clothes were drying out by the fire, so we climbed into our bags and tried to get some sleep. It was a long sleepless night, but we got up at 5:30, got dressed, and started back down the trail as the sun began to come up. This will be a great memory I will reflect on in the coming years and just smile!

This trail is a beast! My Apple Watch tracked ~ 3.4 miles up from the parking lot at the bottom of the switchbacks (the trailhead for the Adams canyon trail as well). This difference threw my dad and I off in terms of timing and we spent a night in the cabin. The fireplace vents great and there are sleeping bags left for anyone to use. Lucky our destination was a cabin. The views are incredible. Highly recommend this hike for anyone with good experience.

Great trail. Almost need pants for upper parts as the branches are overgrown. Nice cabin. The water set up was the best. Somebody knows something about survival. Definitely a climb. Be prepared to climb, on the trail, 5+ steep mountain peaks.

Don't attempt this trail unless you are ready to climb a thousand feet for every mile you go. The first mile and a half are pretty exposed but after that you're into the trees.

Be extra cautious on the decent, the trail is mostly loose rocks and gravel.

The views of the valley are breathtaking and the forest scenery and stone cliff faces are stunning. Easily the best trail in Davis county.

Used Adam's Canyon Trail to get to Adam's Cabin Trail. Very difficult to get to Cabin Trail from Waterfall (Canyon) Trail. We enjoyed the challenge of it as we found ourselves in the middle of nowhere. Near the cabin the trail is covered by snow but we were able to use a previous hiker's footprints. Definitely will do it again but will use Adam's Cabin Trail. Missed the waterfall due to high water.

Good hike, love it.

Hiked this on Thursday. Excellent hike as always, used to do it all the time in the summer. I suggest to take a friend, spikes or a ski pole still, after the bridge it's snowy and slick, especially coming down. Still a beautiful hike.

hiked today, very hard hike. Bring hiking cleats for the last mile, lots of slush and mud. Cabin is still in good condition, bring a pen for the log book.

Very steep!!! Amazing trail with no one on it. I nearly got lost near the top because it was still all snow and there were no foot prints. Had to use spikes for the last half mile. My pup and I loved it. Such a workout! The cabin itself was super creepy but then again it was in the clouds and my dog and I were the only ones up there.

wonderful winter trail! very steep in places and straight up. would defiantly recommend bringing water. cabin is hidden to the south at top of trail.

This was a great hike! I loved it. it was extremely challenging, but very rewarding. The giant Rock formations that you get to hike over and through were very cool, and the cabin was very neat too! I made it up according to the alltrail recorder in 1:40, but I'm super tall and was running solo with my pup, I would count on several hours for most to make it up as this trail head starts at the Bonneville shoreline at the top of the switchbacks.. and it literally just goes STRAIGHT up the mountain. it's almost laughable how much altitude you cover in a mile. but I don't like hikes that aren't challenging. this was like 95% consistent steep uphill with a couple steps down every mile lol. If you are up for it I highly recommend it!

deep snow made it very difficult for this 74 year old man.

Sunday, November 19, 2017

Fun hike awesome views. Dislike the sandy trailhead at the beginning

Saturday, August 19, 2017

very nice views

Tuesday, July 04, 2017

Nothing like a great hike to help you realize how woefully out of shape you are. The first .5 mile is not bad at all. Simple, sandy switchbacks. Then you come to the fork with the Bonneville Shoreline trail, Adams Canyon trail, and the Adams Cabin trail. The trail is obvious for the BST and the Canyon trail but I had to look for the Cabin trail. The AllTrails map helped a lot to find it. Turns out the washed out trail going straight up the hill was it. And it was steep. No switchbacks, just straight up. Like Frodo climbing mt. Doom. It is pretty exposed. I left at 6:30 so the sun hadn't come over the mountains yet. You get in to some scrub oak sections which were pretty cool and covered. The last .5 mile is pretty bushwacky. Lots of overgrowth covering the trail but I never lost it. Scratched my legs up pretty good but whatever. But again, mostly just straight up. The Cabin was kind of cool. The sun peeked over the top of the mountain right as I got to it so got some cool pictures. Jogged/Shuffled most of the way down. Pretty sketchy in some spots but not terrible. Out of the 40+ cars at the trail head, I did not see a single person on the Cabin trail. Everyone does the Canyon trail but I enjoy the alone time. I did the whole thing in 2:30:30. About an 1.5 hrs to the Cabin and an 1 hr down. Strava clocked 5.9 miles and 3000ft elevation gain. I took 3 liters of water, drank one on the way up, downed one at the cabin and drank the last when I got to my car. The views are pretty incredible of the valley and the canyons on either side.

Wednesday, June 28, 2017

Fun trail but definitely not the easiest to navigate your way through, at least when I did it. Lots of cool views! Definitely not a beginners hike.

Monday, June 26, 2017

Be very very careful there are A LOT of rattlesnakes on this trail right now. We seen 15+ snakes just recently. Awesome trail though if your looking for a good workout. lol

Sunday, June 04, 2017

I hiked this trail on June 3rd 2017
This is the steepest trail I have ever hiked and the most Beautiful. No one was on this trail .. it's very slippery going down the trail I fell several times .
Cleated hiking shoes is a must or slip on your snow spikes for the trek back down .. stunning views .. lizards every where .. pretty flowers .. take tons of water .. great work out !!
By far my favorite trail .
I'm 55 in good shape !! Not a beginners trail

Monday, April 17, 2017

Great hike. It was not a casual hike. We did have to traverse snow for about a 100 yards at the top. The cabin was accessible even though it was still drifted. Legs felt like rubber when we got back. Can't wait to do it again.

Saturday, March 25, 2017

Didn't make it to the cabin due to snow drifts at 7291'. There was a group that was coming down from spending the night at the cabin and they told us the trail for the last 0.5 mile was at least a foot of snow. At the rate, we were moving it was going to take us an hour without trekking poles and not everyone had winter boots. Our group watched the weather move in right as we were getting to the first large rock outcropping and visibility disappeared and we were in the clouds with a steady snowfall coming down on us. The hardest part of the whole trail is the fork off of the Adam's Canyon Trail that goes up the ridge. Once you get thru this section, it levels off to a reasonable gradient. Wished we could have seen the valley from where we were and will have to try again in the future.

Sunday, March 12, 2017

We got to the upper part of this trail by climbing up from Adams Falls hoping to see the cabin but didn't get high enough. Still the view of Great Salt Lake and the snow capped mountains to the west was amazing. Good easy to follow trail. The trail descends quite quickly so it must be quite a climb