Wolf Mountain Trail

Wolf Mountain Trail is a 7.2 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Johnson City, Texas that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, trail running, camping, and nature trips and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 7.2 miles Elevation Gain: 446 feet Route Type: Loop

Entrance Fees 13 years and older : $6 Daily Child 12 Years and Under: Free Weekends and holidays are very busy and parking can be difficult. People with camping reservations will be able to enter when parking lots are full.

Bring plenty of water in the summer! Not a lot of shaded areas.

Tough trail in the middle of summer heat. Bring plenty of water. The section off the parking doesn’t have too much shade. So the beginning is fine but the end it’s pretty sunny. It’s also longer than the map says in total. The reason I chose this trail was for Jones Spring. It was really low though so it wasn’t what I hoped for. Other than that it’s great exercise!

No shade made it for a very hot

This trail was pretty challenging. Long stretches without shade and the horse fly’s follow the entire time. However, along the way there are several creeks that you can stop at and refresh. Definitely a life saver when there’s little shade. I hiked all the way to Joan’s spring and was a little disappointed. It was a pretty far and challenging hike for what you get to. However, there are some hidden gems and decent views along the way! I would not recommend this hike for beginners or people who enjoy leisurely , scenic hikes.I was happy to push myself and finish!!

Nice clear trail for days when its not too hot. There's very little tree cover, so we cooked in June. Pretty wild flowers and a creek

One of the best trails I’ve been on. Lots of creeks with nice gems along the way.

Well marked, very beautiful views from most parts of the trail.

A nice trail with tons of wildlife and some beautiful creeks. The park trails map they give you will say it's around 6 miles but that's not true. All trails is correct, it's about 7.2 miles. There is little to no shade for large stretches so be warned. Had a great time with my fiancé though it was challenging.

Nice trail! Jones creek is wonderful,Nice break spot. I’ll def run this one again. And I won’t have 2l of water in my back ha.

So I enjoyed this trail but it can get monotonous at times. The small waterfalls were majestically clear which was lovely! If you’re an experienced hiker it will not take you 4 hours as the guide map says. And the whole wolf loop with Jones spring included from the parking lot was 8 miles. Primitive camping spot about 2.2-.5 miles up wolf loop. Nice spots Pretty well marked and my all trails followed to a T.

This was a nice trail. The main trail is well groomed but also very sunny, so if you’re fair complected bring sunscreen. What is nice about this trail is if you dare to venture off on the rabbit trails that go through the trees you will certainly find some nice gems. My favorite part of the trail was venturing off when we reach the primitive Camping area. We took a rabbit trail that went down to the river very beautiful! Just a bit of a warning these rabbit trails are very challenging and require a lot of climbing, But the reward is well worth putting forth the effort.

The northern loop of the trail was kind of boring, very paved, very flat. Not much to see. If there was a river overlook we missed it. We enjoyed the southern part of the loop more. More native trails, more interesting.

Pedernales Falls really gives you a look at how beautiful the hill country can be. We hiked the wolf mountain trail, had a picnic at Jones spring, and enjoyed the weather. The trails are well maintained and pretty flat. They are VERY sunny though, so sun protection and extra water is a must!

An okay trail with a few side treks to little creeks, which is nice when they’re running in spring. The trail is basically an unpaved park road with a few interruptions of cracked asphalt and little shade . Nice views of the surrounding hills, and some pretty wildflower spots though. Overall, an easy trail for a good walk, but it’s not my favorite by a long shot.

Some shade here and there, take some time to look over some of the edges ⛰ you might find something you like!! I know I did!! Rewarding dip

it was really awesome when you get off of the mix use trail it was my first time on this trail so I guess the trick is to go on the little trail off shoots

Get there early if you don’t want a crowd.

Ran out of daylight so only did about 5 miles of it. I think it's an awesome trail! Especially great for rucking practice for the Bataan Death March with rollling hills, gravel, a few creeks etc... I tucked with a #20 ruck on a Sunday afternoon in February on a 76 degree day and it was perfect!! Very few peeps on the trail and no bikes. Try it...you might be surprised!

Disappointed, mostly a gravel road. Did have an old stone cabin ruin, about 1 mile was a real trail.

Very easy trail, scenic, some wet spots, lots of off trails. Moderate foot traffic on weeekend.

disappointed. except for 1 mile the trail is a gravel road. It did have the remains of a homesteader cabin and a couple springs.

This is quite an easy walk. Definitely can wear regular sneakers. Bring lots of water. There are a few nice views, and Jones Spring is a beautiful little stopping point. Really glad we did this in cooler weather; the trail is mostly unshaded, so I will avoid this in the summer! The first 2 miles or so are an old road, and as such quite wide and gravelly. This is more walking than hiking. We used Strava to capture as well: 7.9 miles!

I hike/run at Pedernales State Park regularly to stay in backpacking shape and for overall conditioning. I noticed some people giving one star for the Wolf Mountain Trail because it is basically a dirt road without much shade. I intentionally stay off this trail as much as possible for the same reason. However, one star is too harsh for Wolf Mountain Trail in my opinion. Use the paper map or this app and try out the other trails like Juniper Ridge and Madrone if you want woods and shade. It’s not difficult to make your own loop using the map and avoid wolf mountain. These trails are more technical and beautiful at the same time.

Sunday, July 22, 2018

Good trail but I prefer more of the wooded trails that are off the beaten path. I found a few while hiking but I would rather do the whole trail through the trees and not on gravel roads. It was fun and a very basic trail. The trail is about 10 feet wide most of the way until you get out towards the far end of the loop. Only saw lizards and birds nothing really interesting but still had fun. 8.96 miles completed.