Williamson Park Nature Trail

Williamson Park Nature Trail is a 3.2 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Leander, Texas that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Good trail in general. Has some new parts that they are building or adding to it that caused a little confusion. No water on it so must bring your own. Overall worth it if your looking for a 3 mile loop.

So I'm new to trail running. I've recently discovered that you need to mix your rugged, twisty/turny, rocky/rooty running, with some more level, straight forward running.
I can run 7 or 8 miles on a trail, because I'm running slower to avoid tripping, to make the turns, to stop and go, "Wait, which way is my car?". But to get some good cardio, you need a place like this, with mostly level ground, large and well marked trails.

I like this place a lot for that reason.

---------------
Update:
Forgot to mention. The suburbs around the area are doing major construction, lots of houses going up. Even some roads, I think, int he back parts of the park where the trails say "not maintained by park: use at your own risk". Way back there, off the beaten path, there are several places where trees have been cleared, the dirt all mulched up. I'm kinda sad, I really wanted a place to run a lot of easy miles. Now it's getting taken over by housing developments. Oh well, such is life.

Excellent hike. I did a little bit of running too, where it was flat. Nice and relaxing. Especially when your the only one out here. Walked it down and back.

Plenty of parking, easy to find, and adequate restrooms in the central part of the park. Option other than the trail include a lot: most of the regular sports, a really large splash pad, an actual Frisbee golf course (not just some baskets amidst some trees, but you actually gotta use skill) an "air field", for small remote controlled airplanes, and a small train (only sometimes operational).

But hey, this is "all trails". So about the trails: they're only flat, mostly straight forward, wooded trails. Few roots and rocks to deal with, and that only when you get to the very east sides of the trail, which technically aren't park trails- the signs say, "use at your own risk". The two main trails are well marked, and some of the "off trail" trails are marked only by the warning signs.

These trails are really good for the casual, and maybe moderate hiker. You could hike for awhile. There are the two main trails: the south one going through the less wilderness part of the park, made of soft gravel; the north going through the woods, and it is as of now being covered with wood shavings (some parts are still dirt and loose rock).

The real fun, though, is taking one of those trails that are either not marked, or have the sign saying "Not maintained by park: use at your own risk". These trails add a lot of hiking potential. trail running is good, but it's just not very technical: no hills, no large rocks and tree roots to contend with, no ups and downs. The trails are made for hiking.

I'd give it a three, since as a trail runner it's mostly for novice trail runners only. But seeing as trails aren't just fro trail runners but also good for hikers- plus all the other activities in the park- this gets a solid four stars from m

Maybe not the best trails for running but you gotta do what you got to do. Lots of solitude.

Wednesday, May 04, 2016

Great.

Monday, February 01, 2016

No trail markers, endless branches off the trail, very limited shade and a lack of wildlife make this a trail to skip.

Sunday, January 31, 2016

Saturday, October 04, 2014

Wednesday, September 03, 2014

Saturday, July 05, 2014

We have a home being built in the Highlands at Mayfield Ranch and heard there were trails around the sub division. We just scratched the surface this morning. It's a flat and easy hike and the trails led us to the Williamson County Regional Park that is absolutely excellent and well maintained. There is a disc golf course that I've been wanting to do and will do so tomorrow morning at it and a splash pad for all to cool off. We took our little pooch and he got tuckered out so we had to cut it short but will return tomorrow to explore more of the many trails. I'm sure I will frequent this often since it's gonna be in my back yard. :)

Monday, May 19, 2014