Wildcat Canyon Far Reaches Loop Trail

Wildcat Canyon Far Reaches Loop Trail is a 6.9 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near San Antonio, Texas that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October.

Rugged Hike, Great views and changing terrain This park is currently only open for special events or occasions. It is currently slated to open early to mid 2004 although I spoke to people at this hike who said that may get changed to early 2005. Once open this will be an excellent hiking park. The terrain varies and there is a lot of unspoiled Texas territory here to explore. This land has sat undisturbed by people since 1993 when it was purchased. It has been in development for recreational use since then. The hike I was on had varying terrain including hills, grasslands, canyons and waterways. What I enjoyed most was that I wasn't hiking on an old ranchers road like in many parks. This was a newly blazed single track trail that had some spectacular views and very unusual landscape features. The Monarch butterflies were migrating south while I was there and could be seen in abundance. Watch for the opening of this park. If you can get out for a special event I recommend it.

1 hour ago

Loved it! It was very much better going up.

great trail, well maintained, easy elevation gain

It was a great moderate trail, but cost $6 each for wife and I to walk it. Trail walking shouldn't cost.

love this trail, go off and explore!

This is s great trail and one of my favorites. However, dogs ARE NOT allowed on this trail or on any trail in the back country at Government Canyon State Natural Area.

This trail is not at all easy; I dismounted my MTB and walked many of the sections.

Ok for hiking, was going to mountain bike this but it was too rocky seems like you'd have to dismount and hike it more than you'd be able to actually ride the trail. The decents weren't worth the climb.

One decent climb towards the end (when heading east) of this short trail.

Did a 9.6 mile hike here with my fellow Wounded Warriors. It was an awesome hike. Did it carrying 42 lbs of military gear. Good times! The trail was easy with an elevation gain of 646 ft of elevation gain. There are dinosaur tracks here too!!! First time I ever saw those with my own eyes! Oh there's an option for a "harder" hike if you do it in reverse. You just climb more at first.

10 miles done today, lots of rocks, down & up ward slopes, hot and no wildlife that I saw. Nice workout. Need to try out them hills. Will be back!