Wild Basin Trail

Wild Basin Trail is a 1.8 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Austin, Texas that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, trail running, and nature trips and is best used from November until February.

1 hour ago

Beautiful, well kept trail. Quite a bit of inclines if you take the longer path (outer trail). The waterfall, and creek were both very beautiful! I'd suggest lots of water and supportive shoes.. you'll be sore towards the end!

Beautiful scenery with a gorgeous little waterfall and pool (all the rain helps). We did the 1.8 mile loop which was a good length with our 18 mo. In tow. A great little hike right in town.

Absolutely gorgeous scenery. No pets allowed as this is a wildlife preserve. Wear sturdy shoes as the terrain can get tough. Bring plenty of water and sunscreen. No entry fee but donations encouraged. Entrance is kind of hidden—driveway located on Loop 360 north.

Nice trail. Enjoyed the waterfall.

Great hike, nice elevation changes, beautiful scenery and well marked (which is a luxury in Austin). Highly recommend for a moderate and fun trail.

Perfect for hiking with my one year old on my back. Great scenery, clean trails easy with a small challenge:) we enjoyed a small snack after the hike by the offices.

Nice peaceful trail with scenic view, waterfall and creek. No pets allowed.

Very well maintained and the trail markings are great. A lot of benches here and there. Quite a few steps and Rocky areas but the overlooks totally make up for it. I suggest making a visit to the waterfall. it's pretty cool but not much water.

I had good time running this trail, it's easy to get a little turned around but there's no way to get off the trail. it's a wildlife and nature preserve so it's quite clear where the dont want you to go. The creek is pretty and it really makes you feel like you're away from the city.

Hiked all the trails forwards and backwards. As always, this trail system delivers the "outdoors hiking" goods.

Very nice hiking trails. Moderate level.

Fun place to run. Some flat, easy stuff, some technical stuff. It's not big but you can run around in loops, picking trails at random, and easily get in 4+ miles.

I went in not knowing what to expect. I simply wanted to enjoy a walk outdoors that was not on cement. This delivered. There are elevation changes as you walk down to a creek and back up again (oh and across the creek at a few points). I did reference the trail map on my phone so that made it much easier. I could see how simply following the signs would make for slight confusion. The waterfall was a little sparse but still pretty. I would definitely go again.

fairly easy - but a maze of trails (with the map only being at the trail head it is easy to feel lost, BUT YOU'RE NOT, just stay on the path) lots it elevation change - gorgeous waterfall and creek. Strongly recommend if you're looking for a an hour (or so) hike.
No bathrooms or trash disposal along trail so prepare - also a variety of things prohibited - so leave the picnics and furry friends at home!

This trail is great for it's variety of surfaces in a small place. I like that there are small trail loops that can be combined into a great workout while still being near your car/water.

Parking is usually pretty full, but since it was like 99% humidity and 45 degrees, I actually got there and had my pick. Ran all the trails a few times, just had to be careful not to slip.

I think the thing I like the best about this place is the variety: Waterfall (though not always gushing) into a small lake, the rock formations, the sparse trees up top and more dense vegetation at the bottom, the overlooks are all rather cool, and plenty of creek crossings.

Cute place! I loved it. It’s about 3 miles to see all of the trails. No pets allowed so there’s no worry about stepping in poo. There is a pretty creek, waterfall, and scenic overlook.

Super cool. Myself, 3 year old and 5 month strapped to me. We only did about half the trail and I loved it.
A few options.
Starts at the top of a decent size hill and you work you're way downto valley. Did not see beckoning water fall this time.

Monday, January 08, 2018

A nice scenic loop trail with views of Austin and a small waterfall.

Thursday, December 21, 2017

Nice trail. Not too difficult and saw lots of parents with kids.

Tuesday, November 14, 2017

Easy hike rather than moderate. The view of the waterfall is obstructed by trees. I don’t know how people get good photos of it without somehow going off the trail into the no stepping zones and climbing some trees.

Sunday, October 08, 2017

The noisy highway is right next to this nature preserve. There were a lot of families with kids walking the trail.

Saturday, September 09, 2017

Nice trail and you could feel different temperatures in different elevations.

Thursday, August 17, 2017

Makes it seem easy in the beginning but it definitely takes a challenging turn mid way through!

Saturday, August 12, 2017

Great little looping trail. There was a lot of "split offs" that you could do, which made it confusing BUT thanks to this app we stayed on track to complete the entire loop. The trail is clean, clear and at times uphill. Enjoy the sounds of nature and little water falls.

Saturday, July 15, 2017

Nice short hike. I liked the intervals and partial shade, and it was pretty. Probably nicer when there is water in the waterfall.

Monday, July 10, 2017

Did some more trial running here. Wished I lived closer- with no traffic on 360, still take me 20 minutes to get here. This place has a great nature center. That has not much to do with trail running, but it's a nice place so I not it. But to my knowledge, there're no restrooms inside, and only one (rather large) portapotty outside.

But like I said before: good creek crossings, and really good climbs up stairs. Need a good leg workout, this is the place to be. Signs are good, trail is super easy to follow, and there's always people there so you'll never feel isolated- but I have yet to see any dogs, if that makes one feel better.

OK,. I'm rambling. I just really like this place. Great nature, great scenic views, great running and hiking.

Sunday, July 02, 2017

Nice short hike. Trails were in good condition and well marked.

Sunday, June 25, 2017

You can see the highway halfway through the hike. The waterfall was dry when I went but the area it's in is charming enough. The hike itself isn't difficult at all, just slightly elevated on the way back

Sunday, June 18, 2017

Short but varied, easy in parts, hard in others, well maintained, clean and well marked, there is a creek and a waterfall.