Walnut Grove Trail

Walnut Grove Trail is a 6.6 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Grapevine, Texas that features a lake and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, horses, and mountain biking and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 6.6 miles Elevation Gain: 127 feet Route Type: Out & Back

beach

Trail was pretty. However don’t recommend for dogs with long hair paws. Large stickers are everywhere (maybe it’s a time of year thing) and got stuck deep between paw pads. Turned around about .5 mile in bc it was so bad for my pupper.

bridge out

This is a flat trail with no real tree lined areas. We tried 2 days after a light rain and it was still pretty muddy. lots of deer and bobcat tracks.

Nice trail but very sandy.

Very pretty, but after crossing a fallen tree over the creek to continue, I never found the trail again so it was a short hike. I ended up taking a different trail that was accessible from the parking area and is part of the Trophy Club Nature Park trail system. That trail was excellent!

Sun Aug 05 2018

Soft sand through 70% of it. Marking it hard to get footing. Poorly marked but trails are obvious and you never lose cell signal so not an issue. On the plus side it’s very quiet. Trail is only for hikers and horses. Saw one person the whole time on a Sunday morning. The super soft sand made this a not return for me ALTHOUGH I might return to lay on of 3 beaches on the shores of the lake that are nice and sandy.

Mon Jun 25 2018

Plan on going back soon. Sandy surface with great views of the lake.

Sun Mar 04 2018

Loved it!!

Sat Mar 03 2018

Nice trail, but paved

Tue Nov 21 2017

I headed west of Walnut Grove to the Trophy Club Equestrian Trails. It was beautiful. I can't wait to take this hike in the spring. Need to wear rain boots. I had to take off my shoes to cross the creek a couple of times. Two bridges are out. Probably could have crossed one section if I'd had my rain boots.

Sun Oct 08 2017

Nice walk. Light traffic, no bikes, good diversity and nice lake views.

Tue May 09 2017

Nice hike on a narrow horse trail. Well marked with some good panoramic views of Denton Creek.

Sun Apr 09 2017

Fun little quiet trail that has little traffic.

Sun Mar 13 2016

Nice trail not very many people.

Sun Aug 17 2014

This trail wanders through the brush and under some trees in the lands along Grapevine Lake. It is very sandy, making for a slower hike. Make sure your footwear supports your ankles. I enjoyed the lake views in the mid-section and the Big Bluestem grasses at the south end. The trail is 3/4 sunny and 1/4 shade. I encountered only one person on the Walnut Grove portion of the trail on a summer Friday's mid-morning. The only downside of the trail was the lack of signage. Often I came to an intersection marked by a blank or broken-off post. On my way back, I had to use my own footprints to make sure I was on the right trail. Intuition and common sense served me well enough, but I hope the signage is improved soon. Still a lovely way to spend the day.

Mon Aug 04 2014

This was a nice scenic and quiet trail along the Southlake portion of Lake Grapevine. We did the North Shore Trail the prior weekend and were constantly jumping off the trail to avoid getting slammed by bikers. This trail is for hikers and equestrians. We saw only two other people hiking and three riders. During the heat of summer, we try and find trails that are about 5 miles in length. Exposure was sunny and shady. Views of the lake and meadows. Our legs got a little scratched up due the wild nature of the trail. But we both really enjoyed the hike. I am new to this app, so started recording my track about .3 miles in from the trailhead. To get there from Dallas, you take Hwy 114 West to the White Chapel exit in Southlake. Take a right and follow all the way to the end and a little gravel parking lot.

recorded Walnut Grove Trail