Walnut Creek Trail

Walnut Creek Trail is a 1.3 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Austin, Texas that offers scenic views and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

scenic driving

Awesome trail for beginners. Lots of varying terrain including nice stretches of open, moderately roller coasteresqe hardpack with manageable but challenging (for begginers) semi sharp turns/switchbacks and steep rocky/rooted inclines/declines. The guide indicates a 1.3 mile trail but it's considerably more with all of the interconnected sidetrails of which their are quite a few. This will be my go to trail until I'm ready for the more technically difficult challenge of Brushy Creek (where I spent half of my time pushing my bike/or on the ground).

Beautiful, natural scenery. Mountain bike trails range from easy to difficult. Can be busy at times.

Great trail, not very technical for hiking but dog and family friendly. Lots of side trails to explore and wander. Watch for mountain bikers coming around corners but everyone courteous.

Lots of great options- I just let my dog lead the way and took several side trails. Lots of flat trails that are easy and lots of opportunity to get to the creek.

Fun mountain biking trail.

I absolutely love this park. We come here once a week with the puppies. Great off leash trails leading to water and everyone is respectable to each other. there's a healthy mix of cyclists, dog walkers and hikers. it can either be as easy or challenging depending on which area you hike to. we have yet to get bored here...always some place new to explore.

The park was fun but I was expecting more from the reviews however I did not Adventure all of the trails unfortunately, and I didn't have my pup and being an off the leash park I probably would have enjoyed it more with her. the only thing is parts reaked of dog feces and there was feces bags everywhere. idk if that was the rules and park clean up picks them up but I hated that aspect. the water was not clear where I went like the images depected on some pages. However if you are local it's a fun hike.

Cool park. Lots of trails to get lost in. The dog thing. Some owners don’t keep them on a leash. Got nipped, scratched and jumped on and the owner was oblivious. Really do like the place itself though. The creek and cliffs can be really pretty.

fun place to ride but a lot of dog's had my grandson he liked it, he can ride and made his own fun up some of the good hills

The trail is fun, mostly moderate with a few extreme places. I can easily ride out here for a few hours, even though you’ll loop around a few times. The only down side is the amount of people with dogs off leash in on-leash areas. I have crashed having to avoid a dog that jumped out in front of me. Also, be careful on the paved path with the bridges when they’re wet. The wooden bridges get super slippery.

Too many mountain bikes racing make it dangerous for dogs & kids.

Nice scenery, but way too many little doggie presents left on the trail despite numerous signs to pick it up. The smell can be strong at times.

Good trail to hike and bike

Tuesday, July 18, 2017

These trails a very fast and flowy in sections. There trails are a great work out but they do not offer anything too technical. There is a BMX track that has a little pump track and some nice table tops. Definitely worth a visit!

Monday, July 17, 2017

I have this habit of not reading trail head maps, and just riding my bike around trails and let's just say this was one of the best trails I've ridden here in Austin! Great sections you make loops easily with and hit some
Good jumps and features!

Tuesday, July 11, 2017

Meh- nothing special. Also, it's an easy trail not moderate.

Wednesday, June 14, 2017

Ran here again today (I often do). I ran the "Windy Trail" and the BMX Trail". Those trails are for pedestrians as well as bikers, but just be courteous and conscientious to bikers- some come to the park in order to really go fast and furious on the trails, and they are designed for bikes. In fact, at the back part of the "BMX Trail", there is a small but good BMX course. Lots of jumps close to one another. But you can run/hike/bike the trail itself without getting on the BXM course.

Anyway, all that said, I just really like these trails at this park. I like the ups and downs and twists and turns of bike trails, keep's one on their toes.

Friday, June 09, 2017

Short nice trail, very rocky on a short area. Very relaxing.

Thursday, May 18, 2017

lovely trail.

Thursday, May 18, 2017

I give the whole trail system itself a four: it is an intricate system of trails, but it lacks the "oomph" of more rugged trails. But hey, family and novice friendly is good too. Hikers, bikers, trail runners, casual strollers- this park has it all. Parking is more than adequate. But the only restroom I can usually find is a porta-potty :(

About half the trails are moderately flat, and soft dirt. There's one concrete trail that goes out of the park, it's pretty nice. The rest of the trails are hard dirt from the bikers, and those trails got the really fun stuff.

On the bike trails, you got ups and down, but even more so: twists and turns and lots of intersecting trails- easy to get turned around in this place; lots of trails to explore. And the creek itself is wonderful. Very pretty with a nice variety of terrain- some parts of the creek are surrounded buy lots of plants, some parts by steep cliffs, others by a lot of rock, etc. It's fun to try and run the creek itself, if you don't mind getting wet.

There are no large hills which is a bummer, and very few places with lots of rock. There are lots of people with dogs, and come later in the day and expect to see scores and scores of bikers- if you're a biker yourself, this place is pretty good for beginners and intermediate. All in all, this gets a four instead of a three: I say three because, really, for a trail runner like me, it lacks a few things. But because of the amount of trails, and thus the amount of time you could spend here just exploring the trails, and the fact that it accommodates bikers and hikers and runners and, well, just about everyone, it definitely earns that extra star.

Tuesday, May 09, 2017

very intricate multi set of trails. I spent 2 hour exploring and hiking the trails. you have to watch the bikers but well worth the hike.

Sunday, April 30, 2017

Nice clean trail. Dogs are not on leashes, but all in all, it was an easy trail to hike.

Tuesday, April 25, 2017

Really fun trail. The side trails offer some short technical buts but overall the trail (weather depending) is really smooth and flat. Rode 12km which was the entire loop about 4 times. Had a blast

Wednesday, March 29, 2017

Nice trails! We did get lost as the sun was going down. There are a lot of trails that branch from the main one so go early enough to make sure you can get out with sunlight. Some spots have steep drop offs into the creek which are tough to see when it's dark. Dog friendly. There are some off leash areas but we kept him on his leash the entire time. Bikes don't give a lot of warning that they are behind you. Otherwise fun trail. Will try again on a weekend with more daylight.

Saturday, March 18, 2017

Way too many unleashed, unsupervised dogs

Saturday, March 18, 2017

wonderful great walk

Saturday, March 04, 2017

Nice hike but felt more like a city hike than an escape into wilderness. Great option for kids and pups but if you're looking for nature, there's better spots around austin.

Wednesday, March 01, 2017

I love this trail I love all the little trails that lead up to one another thanks Austin for cleaning it up close to my home very convenient all dogs are very friendly

Sunday, February 26, 2017

Loved that I could have my dogs off the leash! I get overwhelmed when the trail forks so many times...I prefer it more to one trail that does a full loop. But still a great hike!