Valburn South Loop

Valburn South Loop is a 2.3 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Austin, Texas that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 2.3 miles Elevation Gain: 334 feet Route Type: Loop

This is the southern part of the Valburn trail system. It's a good trail offering plenty of exercise for bikers and runners and features an old abandoned VW bus, lots of elevation change and some nice views.

Just me, my dog, my music and Mother Nature. I came early. Not heavily populated. Not much elevation. Great trail for my dog and I to indulge.

Loved this trail, dogs had a fantastic time. Came on a Friday afternoon and no one was here.

Definitely very easy to get lost in this maze, but as long as you have the app open and can follow the map you’re all set! If you went blindly I’m sure you’d be fine too, just might end up off the trail a bit here and there. Otherwise, good way to break a sweat. Took me about an hour and I stopped a few times.

There were signs in the parking lot saying where to park for bull creek, so parking for that is allowed here. The trail can be hard to follow at times because there are multiple pathways and no markers. When I came to a fork I would pull up the app and see which way to go, not a huge deal, next time I won’t have to do that. Not a lot of elevation in austin so we’re going to use this one to help train for bigger hikes elsewhere. It also is nice that its shaded most of the way. All in all, an enjoyable hike.

We had a hard time following the trail. There were multiple worn trails. We took the wrong one and ended up back where we started.

This app took us exactly where we wanted to go and had a good hike. wasn't too bad

Sat Jan 26 2019

The trailhead shown is only good if you are a tenant or don’t mind having your car towed. It would REALLY be nice if users didn’t post BS like this, waste of my time & gasoline.

Mon Jan 22 2018

Lots of ups and downs. Some dogs and hikers but mostly quiet. Lovely hike.

Sat Jan 06 2018

Total BS GPS puts you in a neighborhood you would have to cut through someone’s yard this app sucks

Sun Dec 31 2017

As usual, got a good workout and discovered new trails, new ways to run around and have fun. These Valburn trails, along with the Bull Creek trails, make for almost endless exploration and varying terrain. Someone mentioned no tresspassing signs. Either the signs are brand new, hidden really well and someone got lucky to see them, aren’t for the trails, or else they started at the wrong place.

Mon Dec 11 2017

Took our dogs here for an afternoon hike. The trail was challenging enough to be interesting for all of us. We were the only ones on it, and it was the perfect length for a dog hike!

Sun Nov 05 2017

Ran this morning before much traffic. Eventually saw some other people, two on bikes, then a group of hikers and their dog. I wanted some hill climbing, and these Valburn trails are very good for this. And oh yeah, today was the first time I saw that VW bus. Near the Vista Mountain Dr and Valburn Dr split (the roads, the trail goes uphill to the streets and there is, indeed, on that uphill climb, a blue VW hippy bus, on it's side, in the middle of the trees and shrubs. How it got there in one piece like that who knows.

Sat Oct 14 2017

As others noted, trail not at all marked with many offshoots, some connect to main trail. Needed GPS to follow, however this was our first time, it will get easier when we are more familiar with area. It is in a ravine, wooded and shaded for most part. Not at all busy, we saw one dog who appeared rather lost, and one human, who was not lost .

Wed Oct 11 2017

This review is the same as the Valburn North loop, since it's all pretty much connected: This is a trail that's great for adventuring, for exploring with compass/gps/topo map. I ran here today (parts of all the Valburn trail system) and it was very rewarding. Very rugged trail. Lot's of ups-and-downs; lots of loose dirt, rocks, leaves, etc; flora encroaches on the trail often. And hills-lots of hills. Hills with high step ups, with loose rock, some rather sheer, etc. I've heard lots of wildlife sounds but have yet to see any, the traffic from loop360 probably doesn't help. This is no "family and stroller" trail. No benches, restrooms, scenic spots, etc No signage at all. I did a lot of geocaching here before I started trail running, so I already knew the trail system somewhat well. But as Luis M said below, if you don't know the trail system you could easily get turned around. But I totally give this a four, at least for hiking and backpacking, and once you get to know the trails it's great for biking and trail running.

Sat Jul 22 2017

Terrain is way to soft for a newbie rider and there is zero markings so talk about annoying having to stop and pull your phone out ALL the time

Wed May 24 2017

This is the southern part of the Valburn trail system. It features an old abandoned VW bus, lots of elevation change and some nice views over 360. I went the day after large rain storms hoping to see some water falls or water in the creek beds, but nothing. So it's pretty dry. All in all though, this is a good trail offering plenty of exercise for bikers and runners.