Valburn South Loop

Valburn South Loop is a 2.3 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Austin, Texas that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

This is the southern part of the Valburn trail system. It's a good trail offering plenty of exercise for bikers and runners and features an old abandoned VW bus, lots of elevation change and some nice views.

Took our dogs here for an afternoon hike. The trail was challenging enough to be interesting for all of us. We were the only ones on it, and it was the perfect length for a dog hike!

I went to the trailhead (In the parking lot behind Indeed) and there was "no tresspassing" signs! Is this trail closed or did I just try to start at the wrong part of the loop?

Ran this morning before much traffic. Eventually saw some other people, two on bikes, then a group of hikers and their dog. I wanted some hill climbing, and these Valburn trails are very good for this.

And oh yeah, today was the first time I saw that VW bus. Near the Vista Mountain Dr and Valburn Dr split (the roads, the trail goes uphill to the streets and there is, indeed, on that uphill climb, a blue VW hippy bus, on it's side, in the middle of the trees and shrubs. How it got there in one piece like that who knows.

As others noted, trail not at all marked with many offshoots, some connect to main trail. Needed GPS to follow, however this was our first time, it will get easier when we are more familiar with area. It is in a ravine, wooded and shaded for most part. Not at all busy, we saw one dog who appeared rather lost, and one human, who was not lost .

This review is the same as the Valburn North loop, since it's all pretty much connected:

This is a trail that's great for adventuring, for exploring with compass/gps/topo map. I ran here today (parts of all the Valburn trail system) and it was very rewarding.

Very rugged trail. Lot's of ups-and-downs; lots of loose dirt, rocks, leaves, etc; flora encroaches on the trail often. And hills-lots of hills. Hills with high step ups, with loose rock, some rather sheer, etc. I've heard lots of wildlife sounds but have yet to see any, the traffic from loop360 probably doesn't help. This is no "family and stroller" trail. No benches, restrooms, scenic spots, etc No signage at all.

I did a lot of geocaching here before I started trail running, so I already knew the trail system somewhat well. But as Luis M said below, if you don't know the trail system you could easily get turned around. But I totally give this a four, at least for hiking and backpacking, and once you get to know the trails it's great for biking and trail running.

Terrain is way to soft for a newbie rider and there is zero markings so talk about annoying having to stop and pull your phone out ALL the time

This is the southern part of the Valburn trail system. It features an old abandoned VW bus, lots of elevation change and some nice views over 360. I went the day after large rain storms hoping to see some water falls or water in the creek beds, but nothing. So it's pretty dry. All in all though, this is a good trail offering plenty of exercise for bikers and runners.