Turkey Creek Trail

Turkey Creek Trail is a 2.9 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Austin, Texas that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

There is a small gravel parking lot that holds at most 20 cars. Be aware that parking on the street may result in cars being towed.

I've always loved this trail... perfect place to stretch your legs with your dog and when the water is flowing is even better.

The air while hiking this trail was very stale. The creek was mostly standing still causing it to smell. There was A LOT of traffic and a lot of climbing. This trail was definitely not my favorite in Austin. I won't be going back.

I love this trail. It's perfect for a family hike with my very active three and four year old. We loved that we were able to bring our dog, who got to chase other dogs around and have her first swim. This will be a family favorite.

Watch for the stream crossings. They can be slick. My only complaint is that there are not doggy pick-up stations throughout. We ended up holding dog waste for over a mile.

This trail has a good varying of terrain: starts off hard dirt, roots and rocky, gets into the trees with still plenty of roots and rocks, lots of creek crossing, and when you get to the back loop, you get a good workout climbing some stairs, and exactly half way is where you get to nice scenery- some semi-open meadows, level and soft trails, with wild flowers and good places to spot birds and other wildlife.

Trails is marked pretty good. The only confusing parts are some of the creek crossings- it's hard to tell if or when you should cross the creeks, sometimes the trail looks all but gone, then suddenly it appears again. The start of the back loop (where the stairs and meadows are) is at the wooden green box. When you see the wooden green box, go left for an easy route, go right for a more difficult route (steeper, more stairs, more descent). There are some unmarked offshoot trails, for the explorer types- and twice I had to say, "Wait, is it this trail or that trail?" but actually it was pretty obvious. (I'm really weird: I have a sort of phobia of being lost, yet I love trail running, hiking, exploring the woods, etc lol)

The only thing lacking are really good hills. Yes there is a sorta hill, mostly more like large stairsteps, but it ends pretty quickly. But other than this, this trail has pretty much everything. It'll be really fun when the creek is not dry.

The creek is pretty dry atm. Super dope for running...just watch out for canine friends.