Turkey Creek Trail

Turkey Creek Trail is a 2.8 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near West Lake Hills, Texas that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Very nice trail. Good for trail running or hiking. Some cons first- no restrooms, water fountains, benches, etc. (except one bench near the beginning). But those aren't very big cons, as some people don't care for those things on trails- the more rugged the better. Also, there are creek crossings seasonally. Still fun though to hop along the rocks. Now what makes this trail way cool (specifically for trail running): 90% rocky and rooty terrain make for great exercise and practice on this type of terrain. There are some climbs near the back which, while not very long, are still pretty decent. The signage and the trail itself is good enough that it'd be hard to get lost. And there are usually other people around, in case of injury. But the best thing: At the back of the trail, the loop part, there are several trails which branch off. You get to climb a little more, and the trails are a little more windy and single track and smooth- at least near the beginning. So if you're running (or hiking or whatever) and are like, "Man, that was a quick trip", you could always take one of the "off trail" trails at the back to add some more exploring and mileage.

I love this trail! Great for doggos, very shaded, wide trail, moderate elevation. There's camping at Emma Long Metro Park right next to it. And if you want a riverside lunch afterwards, hit up Ski Shores 5 minutes away.

We went hiking here 2 days in a row and absolutely loved it. My puppy had never done a hike off-leash and he LOVED it. I wish there were more around us!

best trails to take your dog(s), if they have a good recall.

Nice trail. Only downside is all the dog poop everywhere. We found ourselves looking down most of the time to avoid stepping in what we could smell all around us.

If the dog owners would be responsible, the trail would be awesome.

Trail runs along creek bed in heavy tree cover. No views to speak of but a nice place to get out for a short hike.

It was beautiful and peaceful, and my dogs had a blast!

Definitely easy to get lost, needs some trail markers, but other than that it was a decent hike. No views, and lots of water for the dogs to swim in.

Beautiful shaded trail

Took my dog there yesterday. It was really fun for her and not too much of a hiking challenge for me (which is a good thing). We had to cross the creek about 10 Times; so wear hiking shoes and cross carefully. Lots of friendly people and dogs. Total hike is just under 3 miles. We did inadvertently go off trail a couple times. But we managed to get back on trail within a few minutes.

Great to do with the doggy. Lower sections near the creek are nice but with some slipery watercrossings. The upper sections don't have much of a view and is just brushy woods.

Good trail..could use a bit more markers though, you can easily get lost in the evening/night..

I really loved this trail.. it is beautiful and cool under the tree coverings.. I loved that it had some options for elevation on the cliff rather than just staying on the creekside. Aroumd the top of the loop looks a little barren and it gets muddy after rain but Its a beautiful scene to walk through. If you have friendly dogs it is a leash free trail so they can roam independently..

Always beautiful.

Very nice trail. Good for trail running. Some cons first-
no rest rooms, water fountains, benches, etc. (one bench I think, near the beginning). But those aren't very big cons, as some people don't care for those things on trails- the more rugged the better. Also, there are creek crossings, but times I've been there hasn't been water. Still fun though to hop along the rocks.

Now what makes this trail way cool (specifically for trail running):
90% rocky and rooty terrain make for great exercise and practice on this type of terrain. There are some climbs near the back which, while not very long, are still pretty decent. The signage and the trail itself is good enough that it'd be hard to get lost. And there are usually other people around, in case of that ever-looming injury-causing fall. But the best thing, I think:

At the back of the trail, the loop part, there are several trails which branch off. I ran some of these. You get to climb a little more, and the trails are a little more windy and single track and smooth- at least near the beginning, I didn't run very far. So if you're running (or hiking or whatever) and are like, "Man, that was a quick trip", you could always take one of the "off trail" trails at the back to add some more exploring and mileage.

Great trail lots of shade very few people

I've always loved this trail... perfect place to stretch your legs with your dog and when the water is flowing is even better.

The air while hiking this trail was very stale. The creek was mostly standing still causing it to smell. There was A LOT of traffic and a lot of climbing. This trail was definitely not my favorite in Austin. I won't be going back.

I love this trail. It's perfect for a family hike with my very active three and four year old. We loved that we were able to bring our dog, who got to chase other dogs around and have her first swim. This will be a family favorite.

Watch for the stream crossings. They can be slick. My only complaint is that there are not doggy pick-up stations throughout. We ended up holding dog waste for over a mile.

Wednesday, May 17, 2017

This trail has a good varying of terrain: starts off hard dirt, roots and rocky, gets into the trees with still plenty of roots and rocks, lots of creek crossing, and when you get to the back loop, you get a good workout climbing some stairs, and exactly half way is where you get to nice scenery- some semi-open meadows, level and soft trails, with wild flowers and good places to spot birds and other wildlife.

Trails is marked pretty good. The only confusing parts are some of the creek crossings- it's hard to tell if or when you should cross the creeks, sometimes the trail looks all but gone, then suddenly it appears again. The start of the back loop (where the stairs and meadows are) is at the wooden green box. When you see the wooden green box, go left for an easy route, go right for a more difficult route (steeper, more stairs, more descent). There are some unmarked offshoot trails, for the explorer types- and twice I had to say, "Wait, is it this trail or that trail?" but actually it was pretty obvious. (I'm really weird: I have a sort of phobia of being lost, yet I love trail running, hiking, exploring the woods, etc lol)

The only thing lacking are really good hills. Yes there is a sorta hill, mostly more like large stairsteps, but it ends pretty quickly. But other than this, this trail has pretty much everything. It'll be really fun when the creek is not dry.

Saturday, May 13, 2017

The creek is pretty dry atm. Super dope for running...just watch out for canine friends.

Monday, April 24, 2017

kiddos loved it. only did 1/2 mile but will go back for more

Saturday, April 01, 2017

It's a nice trail with a lot of water rock crossings. Tons of dogs running around having fun. The parking lot is small and people have to wait to park at least on Saturday's but people come and go so just be patient for a spot to park.

Saturday, April 01, 2017

Awesome trail for humans and dogs

Tuesday, March 14, 2017

Loved it! Lots of water and mild to moderate Trail

Friday, February 17, 2017

Easy and peaceful trail. you will get your feet wet most of the time.

Friday, February 10, 2017

Not very difficult and I'm pretty out of shape. It's pretty, you cross the creek a lot, at times with not a clear line of rocks, so you'll probably get your shoes wet (it's really not deep, it's not a big deal). They allow dogs off the leash and there were a LOT of dogs when I went, running around. It gets mildly more difficult further in, but for the most part the trail is flat. People leave their plastic bags of dog poop all over the place, unfortunately.

TL;DR It's nice scenery, it's not difficult, don't go if you don't want to be approached by dogs throughout the trail. And your shoes might get wet.

Thursday, February 09, 2017

Was beautiful expect for all the nasty doggie(plastic) bags full of poop all over. People shove them in holes of trees hang them in trees and it was honestly disgusting to see. Austin had gone plastic free so why not allow the poop to disintegrate naturally instead of picking it up and placing it into plastic bags. Make zero sense. Hmmm dog poop takes a few weeks and plastic bags, well never. Think people. Other than that it was a great hiking trail.

Sunday, February 05, 2017

Easy trail. not sure why it's rated moderate. You cross the river a bunch of times.

Sunday, January 29, 2017

my wife and I had an amazing time. it was great. a great trail for people and dogs. we'll definitely be back to this trail.