Spring Sale! Get a year of AllTrails Pro for only $14.99
Get Started

Trans-Franklin Mountain Trail

Trans-Franklin Mountain Trail is a 12.8 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near El Paso, Texas that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Hike from the west side to the east side over MundyGap and past Tin Mines Follow the main trail up. At 0.58 miles there is a junction. Follow the main trail left. At 1.22 miles there is a wooden bridge. At 1.68 miles you arrive at Mundys Gap. Continue down the east side to the next junction at 2.2 miles. The sign shows the Tin Mines to the north. Pass the signs, continue ahead, follow the trail to the left and downhill. East Cottonwood Spring is on your right. At 3.86 miles you arrive at the south tin mines. At 4.0 miles you arrive at a T intersection. The north tin mine is straight ahead if you wish to explore it. Turn right and continue downhill to the hike end. The trail finishes at the west entrance of the Franklin Mountains State Park, just near the Chuck Henrich Park and you have the option of finish the trip there or return to the east side trailhead. For those that like to walk long distances, this is a nice trail with beautiful views from the east and west side of the Franklin Mountains.

Did this hike today from the West-side. We parked a car at Chuck Heinrich park instead of going back across the mountain. We veered off a little on Trenchtown and came back to the main trail on Lazy Cow. Our GPS was close to 8 miles. Rocky in some areas, but beautiful views. One day we will make the longer hike and go back over the mountain but definitely not in the summer.

Friday, March 02, 2018

Nice and fairly easy trail. I only logged 11 miles for this trail though and we did the entire route it shows(so dont know what happened). Great areas to go off trail and do some extra little climbs with some beautiful views with the rocks. Definitely a must do trail.

Saturday, January 20, 2018

I did this trail on January, although it was winter time the day was great for hiking, no heat and only fresh air, it was ideal because there are no shadows in this area. I started at the east trailhead and finished at the entrance of the park on the west side, there is a sign there, so I walked 13.4 miles instead of 12.7 miles but I think I walked the complete path. I enjoyed a lot the beautiful views of both east and west sides of the Franklin Mountains, it is a long and rocky trail on several sections but worth the effort.

Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Great hike! We're not from this area, and we loves the scenery and lizards we saw. Not much shade but lots of places to do little extra climbs. This app was accurate in the time it took, loved that! Take water and enjoy!

Saturday, March 16, 2013