Trailhead Park Trail

Trailhead Park Trail is a 4.5 mile out and back trail located near Austin, Texas that offers the chance to see wildlife. The trail is good for all skill levels and primarily used for hiking, walking, and trail running. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

cave

Neighborhood is nice, parking is plentiful (unless, I bet, you come on a school's-out day or something like that). The park the trailhead leaves from is rather nice. As for the trail and trailrunning:

The first 1.17 miles (that's what my running app measured) was all downhill. It's paved at first but not for very long. Once you get past that downhill is when it starts getting fun. The trail is rocky/rooty, plenty of ups and downs, and the foliage sometimes creates (minimal) obstacles. It's rugged enough that you get a great workout, and the trail system seems extensive enough- I ran into plenty of forks- that you could get more than 4.5 miles. I saw no creeks nor semblances of creeks, but I've only been once so maybe somewhere back there is some creek crossings. And there is a mixture of running on rocks, and running on dirt.

- - -
I only encountered one longish hill climb, but boy was it a doosy! Right after that first mile you get your first fork in the trail. If you go straight I don't know what you get to. But if you go left, there's a section that's, I dunno, 100 feet maybe, where I was running with all my might but it was so steep I felt like I was just taking baby steps. It's not sheer, but it is steep. I kept going straight but got back to the neighborhood.

I knew the trail should continue, but it's a little hard to spot. Right after the steep climb, to the west is a trail head. Gets you to the rest of the trails. Back there you get into the rest of the trail system.

fun trail if you live close- a little hard to find as it's at the very back of the park . it's a quiet trail as if you were out in the middle of nowhere. I wouldn't go out of my way for it tho as it's short and not much terrain change.

nice park in a neighborhood in North Austin, trail is easy with some up hill, shaded for most part, this is a great trail to do if don't have much time or if tired

geocaching

Kids love it.

Great trail, shaded, lots of ground cover but well defined paths. Short enough to walk after work.

I this nice cause it in walking distance from my house and it about 4 mile trail, just be careful walking on the rocks, it just ok trail but good workout.

Monday, October 17, 2016

Good close in trail. Although you are wandering between housing, you will only notice it a few times.

Monday, October 03, 2016

This is a great trail with lots of loops so that you can adjust the timing of your walk. Sometimes the lower part of the trail can be a bit smelly after a rain, but the upper trail is great with lots of seaps and waterfalls after a rain.
There's also another trailhead near Savannah Ridge and Boulder farther to the west.

Monday, August 01, 2016

Got up this morning and walked it. It was ok. It had a couple of benches a few nice spots to take photos. I like the uneven ground , but too many loose rocks and gravel for my liking.

Sunday, June 12, 2016

Easy out and back. Nothing special but its only 4 miles from home.

Wednesday, March 16, 2016

It's easy for the kids and my dog loved it too.

Wednesday, March 09, 2016

A very nice, easy there and back again trail in my part of town

Monday, July 27, 2015

Nice! Beginner and dog friendly. My small dog who had never hiked before walked more than half of it.

Sunday, May 31, 2015

This trail is in my backyard, so I've come to know it well. Officially it's a lollipop trail (one main way in, that leads to a looped trail). Unofficially, it also connects at the other end to another part of the Canyon Creek community. If you take the official route, it starts at Trailhead park. Go all the way to the back of the park and take the LEFT, PAVED pathway down through the woods. The path weaves behind some houses for about 1/4 mile and then becomes unpaved and drops down over some rocks/boulders to the beginning of the looped part of the trail. The upper loop (on your right) weaves up and down and is quite windy too, and goes through deciduous woodlands for the most part. There's one small bridge going over a little tributary of the main creek.... keeps your feet dry when the rains are up. The lower loop, which is on your left, is a gentle, downward sloping grade all the way to the other end, most of it going near the little creek and through cedars. The slope is DOWNWARD GOING AWAY from Trailhead Park and upward coming back (good to know if you lose your sense of direction and need to find your way back to the parking lot. On the upper trail, the UPHILL side of the trail will be on your LEFT when returning to Trailhead park. In between the two loops are a few cut through trails... note... they are not all straight cut throughs, but weave around and in loops/arcs, so you can pop out and be facing in a different direction. Use the slopes/grade hints mentioned earlier to re-orient yourself. Most of the trail system is covered with trees so it's nice and shaded and cooler on blistering hot days. Creek is accessible and great fun for the dogs and you can splash yourself with some cool water which is nice. Great trail system for a short hike/long walk or a bit of a workout.

Monday, April 27, 2015

I was concerned that this trail wouldn't be challenging enough until I came to the unpaved section. I nearly went end to end based on the All Trails map, clocked 3.86 miles in 1 hour and 53 minutes and burned about 2,200 calories on this trail. I am a beginner hiker and this was a good beginner trail. Parts of it are literally just outside of the backyards of homes in the neighborhood which is a bit odd. I may do this trail again, but it won't be a regular one for me. There is a good part of the trail that is on the All Trails map that doesn't exist on Google maps or the Austin Explorer map. That part of the trails is more challenging and less covered - it begins just to the left of the big rocky incline that ends near Brimfield Dr.

Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Great beginner trail. There is an alternate route after the paved part that gives you a slight bit more of a challenge. Higher up and to the right when you come down the boulders from the paved trail. The creek is nice to see in a few spots along the way. Easy to hike with kids or pets.

Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Nice, moderate trail. 6 and 11 yr old plus a small dog hiked it. A few nice inclines make for a good workout. Def will return.