Trailhead Park Loop

Trailhead Park Loop is a 5.2 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Anderson Mill (historical), Texas that offers the chance to see wildlife. The trail is rated as moderate and primarily used for walking and trail running. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

This is the same trail as Trailhead park except that one takes a slight left at one point and able to "loop" around making it a 6 mile trail. I enjoyed it, very clise to whete I live. Went after rains and water was running. I rate is in the moderate range. This trail will be wonderful in the spring with all the wildflowers. Even though it is in a neighborhood, it is lightly travelled.

Neighborhood is nice, parking is plentiful (unless, I bet, you come on a school's-out day or something like that). The park the trailhead leaves from is rather nice. As for the trail and trailrunning:

The first 1.17 miles (that's what my running app measured) was all downhill. It's paved at first but not for very long. Once you get past that downhill is when it starts getting fun. The trail is rocky/rooty, plenty of ups and downs, and the foliage sometimes creates (minimal) obstacles. It's rugged enough that you get a great workout, and the trail system seems extensive enough- I ran into plenty of forks- that you could get more than 5.2 miles. I saw no creeks nor semblances of creeks, but I've only been once so maybe somewhere back there is some creek crossings. And there is a mixture of running on rocks, and running on dirt. And yes, running on concrete if you manage to find a trail (as this isn't just one trail, but a system of trails) that leads back to the neighborhood.

- - -
I only encountered one longish hill climb, but boy was it a doosy! Right after that first mile you get your first fork in the trail. If you go straight I don't know what you get to. But if you go left, there's a section that's, I dunno, 100 feet maybe, where I was running with all my might but it was so steep I felt like I was just taking baby steps. It's not sheer, but it is steep. I kept going straight but got back to the neighborhood.

I knew the trail should continue, but it's a little hard to spot. Right after the steep climb, to the west is a trail head. Gets you to the rest of the trails. Back there you get into the rest of the trail system.

Thursday, March 17, 2016