Trail Between the Lakes is a 26.9 mile lightly trafficked point-to-point trail located near Hemphill, Texas that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Length26.9 miElevation gain1,528 ftRoute typePoint to point
Dogs on leashBackpackingCampingHikingNature tripsBird watchingForestViewsWildlifeOver grown
Waypoints (0)
Contact
Getting There

Texas Tourism Division, P.O. Box 12728 , Austin, TX, 78711-2728, Phone: 800-452-9292

Directions from Pineland, TX: Follow FM 2426 east for 10 miles; turn right (south) on Highway 87 for 3 miles; turn left (east) on FM 2928 for 3.5 miles to end of paved road; follow signs to Lakeview (approximately 4 miles).An alternative approach is from State Highway 96 within sight of the easternmost point of Sam Rayburn Reservoir.

Weather
UV Index
Daylight
Reviews (61)
Photos (37)
Activities (45)
Completed (67)
Katherine Stevens
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMarch 15, 2021
View Katherine's activity
Chris Carter
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJanuary 31, 2021
Mountain bikingGreat!

Surprisingly well maintained for a very long trail that gets very little usage. Downed trees from the hurricane have been cut. Trail is well marked. I do wish we could build crossings for the creeks. That would be awesome.

Shawna Norton
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJanuary 10, 2021
View Shawna's activity
Claire Choquette
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarApril 29, 2020
HikingBugsOver grown

I solo hiked this trail in October 2019, starting at the west end and hiking to the trailhead. The western half is rough: very overgrown and many missing trail markings. The closer you get to the trailhead, the better the maintenance is. The first 5-10 miles from the trailhead are excellently maintained. Also, be wary of hiking during hunting season. You must wear an orange vest!! I crossed paths with several grumpy hunters, seemingly upset that I was in their space. I also walked through about 150 large spider webs across the trail, no exaggeration. Overall very beautiful piney woods!

Erin Q
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJanuary 20, 2020
HikingOff trail

Good trail, lots of fallen down trees, trail markers hard to find in some areas prolly because it’s not a well worn path, but super pretty and fun!

View Erin's activity
Ashlyn Milam
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarDecember 2, 2019
BackpackingOver grown

HIKER BEWARE: Most of the trail is on public hunting lands, so while it it beautiful in the fall, you do take a risk. Please be aware and wear bright colors if doing this during hunting season, but it is advised against. That being said, it is a beautiful fairly flat trail through the piney woods. Is mostly very well marked, though overgrown from mile 18-20. Plenty of small creek crossings, but the water is mostly stagnant and will probably require an actual filter rather than just relying on tablets or chlorine.

Claire Choquette
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarOctober 17, 2019
HikingMuddyOff trailOver grown
Carrie Verdin
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJuly 21, 2019
HikingBlowdownBugsOff trailOver grownWashed out

I hiked 7 miles from the East trail head to FM 2928, solo. For the most part the trail is well marked, however, there are parts that are completely over grown and there are several downed trees. I did lose the tail at one point and had to figure out the right direction to go. It took me almost 5 hours to hike these 7 miles.

View Carrie's activity
james miller
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarMay 28, 2019
BackpackingBugsOver grown

May 25, 2019, Memorial Day weekend. Steve and I did the entire trail in 3 days, from Toledo Bend to Sam Rayburn. We did food and water drops at road crossing near each night where we planned to camp. The trail is marked with either aluminum rectangles or yellow squares on trees every 20 to 50 feet. The first 14 miles starting at Toledo Bend is an easy walk though pine forest with many creek crossings and several road crossings. (Saw deer, squirrels, snakes, spiders and alot of ticks). Around the middle way of the trail, after crossing fr152 road heading west to Sam Rayburn, the trail change from well traveled and easy hike to over grown and bushwacking. The markers are on the trees but you can't see 10 feet through the brush in places. It was slow going. Steve would stay at the last know marker and i blindly pushed through brush till locating the next marker, call out to him to walk to me, and repeat for miles. At fr114b road, the trail cleared up again for an easy finish the last 2 miles to Sam Rayburn trailhead. We never got lost, but slowed us down. We loved the challenge and earned this guest. Not for the novices hiker. I am glad I did not try to bring my wife on this one, it may have been her last. I would do the trail again, but hope the trail get some love and maintenance.

Daniel Emmons
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarMarch 15, 2019
HikingBugsMuddyOff trailOver grown

I did the trail in March. I started at the Toledo Bend trailhead and made 12 miles in the first day as most people are saying the markers are hard to spot I even found some of them on the ground. At one point the trail goes through a creek that at the time was about 5ft deep and took some time to get around. I would say the trail is worth it

N Crossland
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarMarch 14, 2019
Hiking

Went 3 miles out and back. Good trail and well marked. Some places markers were missing because trees had blown down but it was easy to find the next marker.

Heath Abshire
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarMarch 4, 2019
BackpackingMuddy

hiked the full trail in 3 days. hogs have torn up some of the trail , trees across trail , lots of water crossings your going to get wet. some markings are hard to find at some points. Definitely a difficult trail with a 40 lbs pack. Also one of the best trails to test your endurance. great trail beautiful land lots of views and animals. didn't see anyone till the very end .

J. Aubrey Bolen
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarDecember 5, 2018

We hiked three mile with a school group. Would love to spend more time on it. Well marked

David Thompson
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarNovember 30, 2018

Good trail. Needs some maintenance in different sections. First 5 miles from Lakeview trailhead is marked well. 11 miles in 2 days. Will return to finish another section in a few months.

Michael Thompson
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarNovember 26, 2018

It was rated hard. It was hard, but only had trouble with trail marking at one place. A leaves out tree had fallen and obscured the markers. No litter. Great time! Did 11 miles in three legs over 2 days.

David Thompson
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarNovember 23, 2018
Hiking

Lakeview to Oak Hill Crossing. Trail is marked well. Terrain is reasonable.

View David's activity
Grenade Fiedler
Yellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarOctober 31, 2018

Trailhead was a dump site. Trail marked very poorly. Trash along whole part of trail I hiked. By far the worst kept trail I've used in the National Forest between here and Wyoming. I'd be embarrassed to be the Natural Resource Specialist in charge of that...

Clint Weatherford
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 8, 2018
Hiking

Got a little exercise in and worked my thighs climbing those hills. The first seven miles of this trail from east to west is one of my favorite places to train for longer weekend backpacking trips.

View Clint's activity
Michael Richardson
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMarch 1, 2018
Backpacking

My son and I started from fm2426 and hiked east 19 miles. The trail was great. Well marked but not very well travelled. We hiked 2 days and camped 2 nights. The only negative I can say is that a game warden took interest in my son's truck and ran his tags, got all his info and texted him questioning as to his intention. We informed him what we were doing and that we were ok. That should have been the end of that but instead he contacted federal park police who went and checked my truck at the park on Toledo Bend. We had paid the fee for day use and were all legal. However, when we exited the trail, in the rain, the federal park K-9 unit was waiting for us. He ran up on us like we were wanted murder suspects and began telling us all the facts they had mined on us and how we should have left a note as to our actions on my son's truck on fm 2426. Wow! Nothing better to do? Overall a good time though.