Tinaja and Dogleg Canyon Loop

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(53)
Colorado Bend State Park

Tinaja and Dogleg Canyon Loop is a 6.4 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Bend, Texas that offers scenic views and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and bird watching and is best used from March until September.

Distance: 6.4 miles Elevation Gain: 695 feet Route Type: Loop

Texas State Parks are open for day use. Due to COVID-19 parks require reservations. You must reserve and print day passes before you arrive, wear a face mask, practice social distancing in the park, and limit groups to 5 or less. More info can be found here: https://tpwd.texas.gov/state-parks/

Great hike! The whole thing is just over 6 miles with some challenging uphills, switchbacks and great views. Variety of terrain as well. Turn right and go down the road a bit when the Tinaja trail ends to get to the River trail. Once you find the River Trail you will enjoy the scenery very much as you walk along the Colorado and next to rock cliffs. Pretty neat. Watch for snakes! It is very isolated if that’s what you’re looking for. Also downloaded this map for the first time on AllTrails. Worked very well.

Beautiful trail, bring plenty of water. Half way through dogleg you see an amazing rock canyon & there is plenty of shade. It’s rocky and there is some pretty good, steady inclines. A great workout. Beautiful views and one of my fav trails. There is not cell phone service at Colorado bend so recording is a little challenging. We went to grab lunch at Bend General store right outside of Colorado Bend park (highly recommend this place, super yummy & nice treat for a day out at Bend). My recording looks strange bc the splits that look off are because we were driving. Pay no attention to those lol. Colorado bend is an amazing hill country gem.

The park map lists this trail as Very Challenging. Honestly, I think it is at the high end of moderate. I suspect the reason they list it like this is due to the terrain and a lot of uphill and then downhill sections. We took this trail from Gorman Falls to Cedar Chopper (north rim to south rim) It is very rocky. I took my trekking poles which I think made this even more doable. The first 1/3 of the trail isn’t overly interesting as you hike gradually uphill. Once you reach the middle 1/3 you will get closer to the edge of the top of the canyon and the views are really beautiful. This trail shuffles you in and out and around the trees and is really well shaded. You will reach a point where you begin a gradual descent into the bowl which is really neat. We stopped here and ate a snack and it was very peaceful. Once you start the trek up the south rim again you go uphill. There are some intermittent switchbacks that traverse both up and downhill but are manageable. The trail is marked all the way through just keep an eye out for the colored markers on the trees. This was one of my favorite hikes we did all day. Lots of solitude. Don’t be discouraged by the label of this trail. If you are a person who hikes regularly you should be able to complete this no problem.

This trail is beautiful, the views are amazing. It’s a lot of rocks along the way. I am experienced and some of the paths kicked my butt, kind of like lunges while walking. Will definitely take it again.

MODERATE? Nope. More like advanced which I can say I am now. It was absolutely beautiful though and worth the fact that I will need new legs as I can’t feel mine anymore. I also have taken the liberty upon myself to rename it Tianja Trail of Tears as in not only did I cry tears of joy at my accomplishment but I will also be crying as my ham strings regain strength. I would recommend shoes with ankle support as in the gravel can be loose. My complaint should be taken loosely — It is easily one of my favorite hikes that I will never do during the brutal Texas summer!

This trail was amazing. Some rough rocky bits, tough elevation changes, and fantastic scenery. A long trek but so worth it. Quite a bit of shade. A few spots were hard to find the path. Few artificial markers but mostly they weren't needed. The rock bowl is very unique.

Great trail! Varied scenery, mostly shaded, and well-marked. It’s rocky so wear higher-cut hiking boots to save your ankles. I was surprised to see that the Tinaja trail is rated “Very Challenging” - it wasn’t, for two fit people and an athletic dog.

Great hike. Trail is well marked and we were blessed with several armadillos along the way.

Great terrain and easy to follow. 7 miles according to my recording with plenty of shade in most parts until last mile. One of my favorite hikes in central TX

This was a fun hike! The part down by the river was gorgeous!! We saw a little cave and even went out on the water. Trail markings weren’t super prominent but overall well maintained. Would totally do again.

Great loop trail. Rocky but no serious elevation change. Wear over ankle boots. Start at Cedar Loop trail.

I really enjoyed this trail. The south rim trail is extremely tough. As others have said, it would be easy to roll an ankle. Bring plenty of water and start early to beat the heat. For what it's worth, TX Parks and Wildlife have this trail listed as "very challenging"

This trail will definitely test your endurance. The north end is moderate, while the south is ridiculously hard. Bring plenty of water and sunscreen! Be wary of the rocks as toy decent, because you can easily roll an ankle! Felt great satisfaction after finishing this trail!

Wed Apr 10 2019

Very rocky trail on the south end. Nice views if you take the time to look around every now and then.

Mon Jan 28 2019

Trails were ok. Very few “scenic” spots, however I did stumble across Gorman cave (not open to the public!) and some wildlife that made it a 4 star. Would like to try again when the deciduous trees have foliage.

Mon Nov 12 2018

Great workout. Super rocky. Overall incredibly gorgeous. Make sure to stop at the Country Kitchen afterwards!

Sun Sep 23 2018

Solid run on these trails! Especially if you need to get some elevation change.

Sun Sep 02 2018

Gorgeous views, decent incline. Good overall workout.