The Lighthouse Trail

The Lighthouse Trail is a 5.7 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Canyon, Texas that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from September until May. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

This is a great trail with a big reward at the end. Highly recommended to set out first thing when the park opens at 7am, because later in the morning lots of tourists show up. Early AM it was just me and some trail bikers. The trail officially ends at the base of the Lighthouse, where you can't even see it. You then have to go through the two "End of Trail" posts, and follow the footpath up to the spires. Pretty easy, just take care to stay on the correct path back and not a false path, or else you end up a little lost like me. Note that this last part is not on GPS because it isn't official trail, but it is SO worth it to walk the land bridge between the two spires.

The trail itself is one of my all-time favorite trails. I like to start on the GSL, then connect to the Light House. Once you get to the light house, climbing the formation isn't too difficult. But it does have a couple of places that are physically demanding to get to the top. I wouldn't advise the climb for the very young, very old, or if you aren't comfortable lifting your body weight. Otherwise, just the trail it self is awesome, please bring several liters of water. It's hot, dry, and no real shade coverage. Enjoy

Loved this trail! We went later in the day while it was still cool and beat a thunderstorm coming back in. Didn’t see many others and at one point had to stop and admire the beauty and the great silence of such a vast place with no sound. Awesome!

Definitely kid and dog friendly, dirt packed and wide. My fiancé and I first time on this trail it was enjoyable started early in the morning to avoid heat and ended up hiking in the low 30s.

Really great Texas hike.
I started the trail just before dawn so I could capture a few pictures as the sun rose and it was worth the early rise. I was happy with my entire experience while visiting the state park as well.
The trail is large and dirt packed...would’ve made a great jeep trail

Decent wide hard packed dirt trail with some loose and rocky sections. Highly trafficked but clean and well maintained. It’s worth the trip if you’re in the area.

We mountain bikes from Juniper campground to trailhead and returned for almost 10 miles total. Trailhead is about 1.5 miles from camp. There were hills and some extended flat trail. The last half mile is a scramble walk to the top. We had a great ride. They have temperature gauges along trail. It appears a lot of folks come unprepared. We found a 20 ish couple out of food and totally spent. We gave the snacks so they could get back. Very polite folks.

Good hike and great views. Not to difficult but could get there if it was hotter.

Fast and mostly flat. Hike up past the bike rack is easy even in bike shoes. Cool view up top.

Love it we have We have hiked up and bike to the light house. it would be very tuff in the summer as temperatures are 100+ range. Definitely take plenty of water.

Pretty challenging

One of the most rewarding hikes I have ever done.

This was a great trail for our family. It is moderate level, but really nothing to difficult until the final ascent to the lighthouse itself. The trail and scenery continuously change, so it does not get repetitive or boring. Definitely bring lots of fluids and snacks for everyone.

Easy trail, fast walking able to finish in right under 2 hours. Must go past the end to climb up to structure. Trail is good for dogs, minus climbing at the end. Recommend March/April and late fall for hiking to avoid blazing heat.

great views on the way, but a very disappointing ending.

Must continue on past the end of the trail and go up to the lighthouse. It is a short steep climb but very worth it.

Went on 2/9 and the weather was high 60s. Was hot on my way up, but cold at the top and on my way down. Pack a jacket! Quick, easy, fun trail with some scrambling towards the summit which was fun. No shade whatsoever so I can see this being a miserable summer hike. Finished about 2L of water throughout entire hike. Took me about 2h 40m with a 20 min break at the top and no other breaks.

Love this trail! Always a favorite to do at PDC

A trail with an end point that makes it all worth it. Get to the top and see where you've hiked from and much more. Beautiful piece of PDC

When you get to the end follow the path behind the bike rack that’s when it gets a little challenging but well worth the climb to get to the lighthouse.

When you get to the end make sure you go to the top. It’s worth it, and probably the only hard part about the hike. The rest is pretty flat.

Easy trail until you get to the lighthouse to climb up. Beautiful views from the top of you can climb!

This trail is pretty flat until you climb at the end off trail so I'm not sure why it's marked as moderate. If you can, definately try the climb up as the views are outstanding. Wouldn't try if it was over 80°- there's absolutely no shade. Took about 3 hrs but we hung out at the top for a while.

Beautiful

Great trail, easy with dogs, plenty of beauty around every corner. Not too difficult.

Slow going and not much going on until last mile or so climbing up rocks. Pretty good connects to GSL.

Good hike and dog friendly.

Great moderate difficulty trail. Not much shade so definitely be sun wear prepared. We encountered heavy winds, glad I packed my gator!

Absolutely stunning views. First time hiker and this trail was the perfect challenge for me. We took the path off the trail to the left of the picnic table at the end and with a little careful rock climbing and advice from other hikers made it right up next to the light house rock itself! Truly unforgettable views. Took us 3 hours out and back and we took our time taking pictures and looking around. Old tennis shoes worked great for us. Highly recommend going early November - for us it was sunny and 65 degrees.

Nice hike. Easy until you get to the end of the trail. Trail ends at 2.7 miles. You have to go beyond the trail end markers to reach the top which is totally worth it for the views from the lighthouse rock. Watch out for all the cactus as it's easy to slip on the trail and put your hand on one.