The Lighthouse Trail

The Lighthouse Trail is a 5.7 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Canyon, Texas that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from September until May. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Of course it's a great trail, but watch out for rattlesnakes. We passed 2 rattlesnakes on our hike. One was in the middle of the trail and one was toward the side of the trail in the shade. It had just bit a hiker and she was waiting for medical help to arrive. Hike in center of trail (about5-6 feet wide) and be very aware of surroundings.

I took my two small dogs on this trail this morning. We got out there just right before 8am and by the time we got back to the car it was blazing hot. It took us about 2.5 hours to compete, but we took it slow and took lots of water breaks. Heavily used, mostly a hard dirt packed trail with some rocks and sand. I would say that the only thing that is moderate about this hike is the oppressive heat. I saw people walking in with only a liter of water but make no mistakes that is absolutely not enough water if you’re hiking in the heat of the day. I had two 64 ounce water bladders in my backpack and I drained most of them. Not much shade, so sunscreen and a hat is a must. Beautiful views, with lots of wildlife. We saw a few lizards, a tarantula, and some bluebirds. I would imagine this trail would have been absolutely amazing when all of the water crossings were full. I would recommend this trail to experienced hikers in the summer and to everyone on the cooler months.

Great trail. Very popular though. I probably saw 50 people on the trail. The view at the end is amazing.

Great trail with an incredible view at the end of the trail- one you get to the “end of trial” signs, take the dirt trail on the left up to see the hoodoos and the great view. It’s a bit of a climb- steep and a little slippery at some points, but well worth it for the view! Go early to miss the crowds.

Great walk through red rock to the iconic lighthouse formation. “Great reward” at the end is only if you are willing to continue past the end of the trail sign.

This is a great trail with a big reward at the end. Highly recommended to set out first thing when the park opens at 7am, because later in the morning lots of tourists show up. Early AM it was just me and some trail bikers. The trail officially ends at the base of the Lighthouse, where you can't even see it. You then have to go through the two "End of Trail" posts, and follow the footpath up to the spires. Pretty easy, just take care to stay on the correct path back and not a false path, or else you end up a little lost like me. Note that this last part is not on GPS because it isn't official trail, but it is SO worth it to walk the land bridge between the two spires.

The trail itself is one of my all-time favorite trails. I like to start on the GSL, then connect to the Light House. Once you get to the light house, climbing the formation isn't too difficult. But it does have a couple of places that are physically demanding to get to the top. I wouldn't advise the climb for the very young, very old, or if you aren't comfortable lifting your body weight. Otherwise, just the trail it self is awesome, please bring several liters of water. It's hot, dry, and no real shade coverage. Enjoy

Loved this trail! We went later in the day while it was still cool and beat a thunderstorm coming back in. Didn’t see many others and at one point had to stop and admire the beauty and the great silence of such a vast place with no sound. Awesome!

Definitely kid and dog friendly, dirt packed and wide. My fiancé and I first time on this trail it was enjoyable started early in the morning to avoid heat and ended up hiking in the low 30s.

Really great Texas hike.
I started the trail just before dawn so I could capture a few pictures as the sun rose and it was worth the early rise. I was happy with my entire experience while visiting the state park as well.
The trail is large and dirt packed...would’ve made a great jeep trail

Decent wide hard packed dirt trail with some loose and rocky sections. Highly trafficked but clean and well maintained. It’s worth the trip if you’re in the area.

We mountain bikes from Juniper campground to trailhead and returned for almost 10 miles total. Trailhead is about 1.5 miles from camp. There were hills and some extended flat trail. The last half mile is a scramble walk to the top. We had a great ride. They have temperature gauges along trail. It appears a lot of folks come unprepared. We found a 20 ish couple out of food and totally spent. We gave the snacks so they could get back. Very polite folks.

Good hike and great views. Not to difficult but could get there if it was hotter.

Fast and mostly flat. Hike up past the bike rack is easy even in bike shoes. Cool view up top.

Love it we have We have hiked up and bike to the light house. it would be very tuff in the summer as temperatures are 100+ range. Definitely take plenty of water.

Pretty challenging

One of the most rewarding hikes I have ever done.

I went mountain biking here on Spring Break and got a camp site because someone left early. I was amazed of how much you could see mountain biking this park. When I did the light house trail I mountain biked in to the steep climb and hiked up to the light house rock formations. Very beautiful. They have a place to leave your bike at the steep incline. I remember passing all the hikers thinking “most of this trail is flat , why aren’t they riding a bike. I noticed how tired everyone was. Get a mountain bike people..you’ll love it.

This was a great trail for our family. It is moderate level, but really nothing to difficult until the final ascent to the lighthouse itself. The trail and scenery continuously change, so it does not get repetitive or boring. Definitely bring lots of fluids and snacks for everyone.

Easy trail, fast walking able to finish in right under 2 hours. Must go past the end to climb up to structure. Trail is good for dogs, minus climbing at the end. Recommend March/April and late fall for hiking to avoid blazing heat.

great views on the way, but a very disappointing ending.

Must continue on past the end of the trail and go up to the lighthouse. It is a short steep climb but very worth it.

Went on 2/9 and the weather was high 60s. Was hot on my way up, but cold at the top and on my way down. Pack a jacket! Quick, easy, fun trail with some scrambling towards the summit which was fun. No shade whatsoever so I can see this being a miserable summer hike. Finished about 2L of water throughout entire hike. Took me about 2h 40m with a 20 min break at the top and no other breaks.

Love this trail! Always a favorite to do at PDC

A trail with an end point that makes it all worth it. Get to the top and see where you've hiked from and much more. Beautiful piece of PDC

When you get to the end follow the path behind the bike rack that’s when it gets a little challenging but well worth the climb to get to the lighthouse.

When you get to the end make sure you go to the top. It’s worth it, and probably the only hard part about the hike. The rest is pretty flat.

Easy trail until you get to the lighthouse to climb up. Beautiful views from the top of you can climb!

This trail is pretty flat until you climb at the end off trail so I'm not sure why it's marked as moderate. If you can, definately try the climb up as the views are outstanding. Wouldn't try if it was over 80°- there's absolutely no shade. Took about 3 hrs but we hung out at the top for a while.

Beautiful