The Lighthouse Trail

The Lighthouse Trail is a 5.9 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Canyon, Texas that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from September until May. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

This isn't my favorite trail in Texas-not sure why everyone loves it so much-there is basically no shade, no water and it takes a lot of work to get to the top. My sister was getting bitten by horseflies constantly, legit bad welp bites. They go for blood-caution to any ladies out there hiking around "that time of the month".

We started at 8am with a group of 6-half the group turned back at the 1.5 mile mark, the other half went all the way to the top, past the "end of trail" marker. Stopping at the point we were supposed to would've been hugely disappointing! Finished just before noon-one of us was hiking slow and the heat was awful! 101 degrees, it was only 90 at the top of the canyon. All of us drank every last drop of the recommended gallon of water we each had. And, I am a regular hiker from South Texas, I'm accustomed to heat but this was unbearable. Maybe the worst idea I've ever had.

Yes, it's pretty, but nothing you need to hike 5+ miles to see. Big Bend, anywhere in the Hill Country or Guadalupe Mountains makes for a much better hike any day!

Mostly easy trail until you get up to the lighthouse then you have to do a little bouldering to get there. Felt great afterwards!

Lighthouse trail was a nice lightly moderate trail. About 5.5 miles out and back with a few ups and downs. The worse part was the horse flies. They are no joke!

About as good as it is going to get in the Palo Duro. The lighthouse is in a really cool secluded part of the canyon and has some great views. Make sure you try and climb to the top of the rock next to the lighthouse!

Good trail, awesome views

This is by far the most popular trail in Palo Duro Canyon. Expect large crowds on the weekends, and pretty much anytime during the summer. It is a great hike and pretty easy; although there is a short, very steep climb at the end in order to reach the lighthouse formation. Bring plenty of water, there are no water sources on this trail and heat injuries are common during the summer.

Great hike! My husband and I took this hike on our honeymoon. It's a great trail - challenging in the heat I would imagine. There is very little shade. But we had a really nice day.

Some people turned around at the picnic table just under the lighthouse formation. But the trail actually takes you onto the formation itsefl - so don't stop!

Really fun trail, good payoff

Beautiful trail, hike up to lighthouse is a bit challenging, but worth it.

Lovely hike! We went for Memorial Day weekend. Definitely worth heading out as early as possible. By the time we were heading back around noon the sun was brutal. They're not joking when they suggest a gallon of water per person on this hike. I'm glad we packed extra water. The trail length is just to the bottom of where the lighthouse is. There's an option to climb up to the top. It's the most strenuous part of the hike but children and adults of all ages made it up when we were there. The view is worth it. Great hike! Can't wait to go back to Palo Duro and check out the other trails.

A really nice trail. Not too demanding but not easy either. It makes you work. At the end, go to the left, there's some gnarly climbing to get to the actual Lighthouse. Bring water, bug spray, even a walking stick helps. It's a fun, delightful trail that rewards at the end.