Tejas Trail is a 14.3 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Georgetown, Texas that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 14.3 miles Elevation Gain: 1,624 feet Route Type: Out & Back

cave

Great day hike trail. There were a few steep sections, but all around beautiful scenery all the way!

Exploration!

Beautiful hike, mostly single track well-maintained trails. A few steep, rocky sections, some with log steps or loose rocks that would be challenging on a mountain bike.,some of the trail follows the river and there are good fishing spots. A lot of wildflowers blooming in late March.

I hike this trail to build endurance and to practice long distance hikes to prepare myself for national parks. Although there isn’t much elevation gain the trail has rugged rocky terrain with little shade. You generally won’t see many people and a few mountain bikers. If you go at sunrise you’ll see a lot of deer and people fishing the river. Sawyer camp is a great lunch spot with primitive camp sights.

Last weekend was the first time I had been to this trail. I stumbled upon it while looking for primitive camping spots online. What I thought would be a vacant spot was packed with people. I didn't have this app then (didn't know it existed) so I was using my hunting app onX with trails layer turned on. My dog and I had a blast. There's some sub trails here and luckily they were shown on the map as well.Will take more than one trip to explore. One thing I would note is cell phone service. My Verizon phone(which is my go to in the back woods) had no service while my T-mobile had service the entire time. It's usually the other way around. This was also the cleanest trail I've ever seen. For the volume of people on the trail that day there was no trash.

this was my first hike on this trail, but certainly not my last. The weather was perfect; there was adequate shade, and the elevations made for a nice workout. The scenery along the river, and up on the bluffs made for an interesting experience.

Went with my dog. The trail is dog on leash, but 100feet in and every ones dog is off leash. People were considerate and would always put their dog on leash when another dog was around. Did about 5 miles and it was mostly flat with some of the trail being narrow with plants about 3 to 4ft in height so pants recommended. After the first mile or so it goes in to some shaded hills which was very nice. Will definitely be back.

Took my 15-year-old retriever mix and 2-year-old Blue Heeler on a 6-hour trek on the trail along the south bank of the San Gabriel River on a perfect, cool fall day. The trail offered flat, easy stretches along with fairly vertical, rocky climbs and descents. Be careful dealing with loose rocks on some segments of the trail. The Sawyer Campground offers a shady spot to take a break as well as a lesson in Texas history on the historical marker there. Plenty of scenery, including vistas of the river and Georetown Lake.

I didnt make it to the Lake (I will one day for sure). It runs along the river and there were plenty of spots to go off trail and easily access river. My dog loved it! it was so beautiful and I only saw 2 people on a weekday. This will definitely be a regular hike for me since it is close to my house. Advise you to do directions from this app because my gps took me to the wrong location.

Hiked from Tejas campground to far side of Sawyer - about 10 miles out and back with some minor detours to walk on the riverbed. Some shade and a nice variety of terrain. Saw only two parties of hikers on a Sunday morning. Some elevation change but moderate and in only 3 or 4 places on the trail.

Pretty Trail, got about 1.5 miles in and in the narrow trail, a rattlesnake was chillin across the trail, so I turned around... I didn’t have a walking stick or anything to move it and there was no way around it. Ended up doing 4 miles.

Really good trail. Easy climbs. Has some shade. Great for dogs. Plenty of water for them being that is runs along the river for a good part of it.

A nice dirt/gravel single track. Only went out 1 mile and back from the park. Some parts of the trail were over grown. Saw a snake and a few armadillos. Decent shade in spots. Parts of the trail hug the river with great views.

Wow! This is one of the most beautiful trails I've hiked. I took my dogs out for a five mile hike and loved it! So many wildflowers and amazing views. I would definitely get out on the trail earlier next time as there is little shade and it was hot, but plenty of places for dogs to drink along the way. We will definitely be back!

Sun Apr 21 2019

Ran the length of this trail today as a fairly novice trail runner. The first few miles of the trail are highly runnable but that gives way after a few miles to rocky terrain that includes stretches I deemed safer to walk. YMMV. That being said, at least 80% of the trail can be run, and it has a lot to offer trail runners. Great scenery, low traffic, and some great running stretches mixed in with a little bit of more technical terrain. You need to take all the water in you expect to need, as you are on your own the entire duration unless you want to refill with stagnant creek water or possibly the lake. The end of the trail meets another, so you can continue instead of turning around at 7.15 miles, but I saved that for another day. I will be going back.

Sun Mar 24 2019

Great for a couple of days backpacking get-away. The trail is well maintained, has great views of the lake, lots of wildflowers in late March, and tons of birds. We also watched some bats hunting over the lake on the night we had a full moon. Hiked out and back from the Cedar Park trail head, camped two nights at Cedar Hollow. Note that camping is allowed ONLY at 2 designated sites. The sites have pit toilets (nice because the ground is pretty rocky for digging) but no walls. Best for camping in weekdays - we were alone on Thurs but had 4 other groups on Friday. I'll also note that the lake allows boating - so, daytime boat and jet ski noise. And there are residential areas visible through and above the trees - quite a bit of daytime construction noise, too. Otherwise, a perfectly lovely trail, and extremely convenient.

Thu Mar 14 2019

Nice trail well-maintained good views of the river no poison ivy in the spring

Mon Aug 27 2018

Excellent trail and well marked. Plenty of vegetation, not much shade, but lots of terrific scenic views. Only drawback was no water source at the mini camp area. Mostly flat with a few good hills to break up the monotony.

Sun Jul 29 2018

I will be back to do a complete hike. Was only able to get into the trail by 3.8 miles and turned around completing 7.17 miles since it was getting dark. This was an awesome trail and I can’t wait to really get some miles here!

Tue Apr 17 2018

Beautiful trail. Not many people out during the week.

Sat Feb 17 2018

I'm from the area so I might be a little biased but, to me, this is one of the prettiest trails on earth. Plus, you are walking through history as this was a popular spot for Native Americans and eventually the Hunt Family.

Sat Feb 03 2018

Loved it!

Mon Jan 29 2018

My dog and I checked out the trails for a change of scenery. It was a beautiful walk with tons of birds and ducks. Saw a fox or maybe small coyote on the trail. Didn’t see anyone on the trail which was peaceful.

Sat Nov 25 2017

Great trail lots of open space, great elevation change and water views.

Thu May 11 2017

Went hiking with dog. Nice views and change of scenery.