Tandy Hills Trail

Tandy Hills Trail is a 2.5 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Fort Worth, Texas that features beautiful wild flowers. The trail is rated as moderate offers a number of activity options. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Tandy Hills Natural Area is a 160 acre indigenous remnant of prairie located in the heart of Fort Worth, Texas. Tandy Hills Natural Area (THNA) is a 160 acre indigenous remnant of Fort Worth prairie located in the heart of Fort Worth, Texas. The land was obtained by the City of Fort Worth Parks Department in the 1960s and designated a natural area in 1987. Since 1990, the park has been managed by the Fort Worth Nature Center and Refuge. Noted for its unusually complete collection of prairie flora, THNA contains more than 500 native plant species. The show of spring wildflowers is unsurpassed in the Metroplex. The land is a living demonstration of how most of Fort Worth and the Great Plains appeared in predevelopment times. THNA is adjacent to I-30 and less than 5 minutes from downtown Fort Worth, Texas. The fact that it has never been developed and survived into the 21st century in relatively pristine condition is extremely remarkable.

Really nice marked trails.

This trail could use some TLC. Not very many wild flowers along the trail itself, but a big patch by the park. Its best to stay on the main trail, we accidently ended up in someone's backyard and a lot of the other trails were cutoffs. Watch for snakes as well! We saw a 2ft black snake at the first creek on the trail.
Bring a small trash bag if you're feeling generous to pick up trash along the trail!

It was really beautiful and there were so many wildflowers. This is great hike for the springtime.

Interesting trail. The good is that it offers a wilderness experience close to downtown. The unpaved trails feel like game trails with just enough hills to keep it fun. Some of the bad things are that there is indeed homeless people camping out, although if you stick to the main trails it is unlikely you will stumble across any. I only saw two trail markers but it's pretty hard to get lost. I went on a rather gloomy day, so the whole experience had a bit of a fallout 4 vibe.

The trails themselves are very nice if you’re looking for rugged natural areas. This review is based on the area. I started hiking here at lunch a few days ago and yesterday discovered a campfire that had gotten out of control. My assumption is that this area is close enough to downtown to have homeless people camping here. I will not be going again. If you are in a group you may feel safe but I would not go alone or with smaller children.

Go towards the end of April/early May, and you will see all the wildflowers you have ever dreamed of.

My dog and I love it here! Especially the “elevation”...trails aren’t marked well but be can always find our way.

Good geocaching

this was my 1st hike! I learned a lot! to start earlier, I started at 8am, and that I need trekking poles for safety because no one was out there and I'd be stranded if I rolled my ankle. I saw a lizard cross my path, which reminded there could be snakes and I had tennis shoes on. I also should have brought an Asset Pad! only the ground to sit on. it's true Texas terrain, loaded with mesquite trees and tons of wild flowers when I went the middle of July. all the colors together! the trails look like a fun maze! but as long as you can see downtown, you know where you are. you have to park on the street and walk all the way across the playground to see the start of the trail. it was clean & I didn't leave anything behind. it's a good place for biking or trail running, but little bits of shade. beautiful view. there's history on this trail you can look up if you home school. I'll go back with boots and trekking poles! (I'm a 62 year old female)

Liked this spot, but no parking area (have to park on the street) and trails are barely marked. It is a pretty location with lots of trails to try.

I like how surprising it is to find this kind of elevation & rural location in the city. It was a short day trip for me and my kiddos. We liked the dirt trails and mostly shaded. It's not marked all that well, I will agree. However, I just used my phone gps to keep us on track with previous peoples' courses using this app. Will return.

Thursday, May 25, 2017

Trails a little hard to navigate. No signage.

Sunday, May 14, 2017

You can get lost easily

Wednesday, February 15, 2017

I enjoy this Hill lovely place feel Peaceful definitely will keep coming ....,

Saturday, January 28, 2017

Great little place in the middle of the metroplex to do some hiking. Lots of trails and lots of fun. We will definitely be returning!

Monday, August 29, 2016

I came early in the morning to beat the heat. A lot of rocks and dirt paths. Do not come here after it has rained. The trails are not marked too well. A lot of split paths that lead you to a dead end.. at one point I was lead to the back yard of someone's home.

Friday, May 27, 2016

Says on this app that it's for biking - signs everywhere say otherwise.

Tuesday, May 24, 2016

I took my two boys (4/2) hiking thru Tandy last weekend and loved it! The trails are very clearly marked, beautiful wild flowers everywhere, lots of friendly couples out hiking and walking their dogs. Overall it was a great experience and some of the steepest elevation changes I've seen in Tarrant County, with the exception of Marion Samson. Loved it, going back again soon!

Sunday, May 08, 2016

Great for trail running! Alternates from utility roads to near bushwhacking, depending on which loops you select. Plenty to explore, and occasionally feels far from the city...

Saturday, April 16, 2016

Not for biking.....

Sunday, August 16, 2015

It was beautiful and my first trail. But I went in without looking at the map thinking there was only one trail. Barely made it out alive lol Be prepared.

Monday, January 12, 2015

Took my dog out for a walk on this trail and got severely lost, we also ended up coming out through somebody's backyard . It was very muddy because of the recent rain but that said we were prepared in both of us enjoyed. Looking forward to going back and learning the trails so that next time we'll know where we're going.

Monday, August 18, 2014

If you are wanting some peace and quite then this is not the place to hike. You have the constant noise of the highway traffic around you but if you wear some ear buds and bring some music then you are in another place all together. Some moderate rocky hills and dry creeks is what to expect here. It is easy to get turned around and go in circles but that is all part of the fun of this nice hiking oasis just off I-30.

Friday, May 23, 2014

found this excellent park in my neighborhood. ...trails are foot traffic only and not paved..love it! took the bird trail and what started off being a 2 mile hike quickly turned into a 6 mile adventure. ..got lost a few times and the mounds n hills give one an excellent cardio...this is my favorite hiking park in Funky Town!

Tuesday, September 17, 2013

On September 16, 2013, I ran Tandy Hills Trails for the first time. There were multiple trails which I was not anticipating and therefore I got lost. I ended up coming out of the trails through someone's backyard. The since of adventure and the thrill of finding my way back was well worth it all! The gravel on the trails made running up and down extremely tricky, but manageable.
Once again, I enjoyed every moment and I will be running/hiking these trails many more times!

Saturday, February 09, 2013

I really liked this trail. Was more challenging than I expected but in a good way. Trails were big and there were lots of them. It was nice to not have bikes going by. I recommend this one for a short hike.

Sunday, October 07, 2012

Tandy Hills Natural Area is owned and operated by the City of Fort Worth Parks and Community Services Dept., and managed by the staff at the Fort Worth Nature Center. This park only allows hiking, walking. Pets allowed but must be on a leash. No bicycles or horses are allowed!

Saturday, September 08, 2012

went for a ride there this morning and was pleasantly surprised at what it was like. Lot's of hills with steep climbs/descents. Saw 3 people out hiking and all 3 were very friendly. I even stopped and talked to one guy for about 5 minutes. No trail signs at all so bring a sense of adventure when you come. Mainly ranch style roads in the valley with trails running off and up the hills.

Friday, July 06, 2012

My favorite place to get 'lost' in Fort Worth. Literally miles of mostly undeveloped land snuck in between a freeway and a neighborhood. Find it and wander...