Spicewood Valley Trail

Spicewood Valley Trail is a 2.2 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Austin, Texas that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, and trail running and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 2.2 miles Elevation Gain: 118 feet Route Type: Out & Back

cave

Only two parking spaces. The trail begins and ends with nothing. The only thing that may be of interest is this small lake or swamp.

This was my first time here and it really should be marked at easy. You need to watch your footing with some rocks (on dry days) and wear long pants if you don't enjoy plants brushing up on your legs. There's only two parking spots that at are at the "head" of the trail - it's next to the fenced off electrical units and the tree/rocks. There is also another "trail head" where you walk up the street and make a sharp right where two plastic poles are. It's not way overgrown, but it could use a little matinence. I'll be back, just with pants, because I got annoyed with the amount of webs and plants I needed to brush away - I know, I know. Tip: GREAT for Trail-running, once you're in the middle of the trail.

I tried out this trail for the first time yesterday around 8PM, and encountered two coral snakes and the largest water moccasin I’ve ever seen. All three snakes were on the trail and within striking distance when I spotted them... my fiancé almost stepped on one of the coral snakes in the middle of the path. If you do hike this trail, perhaps avoid hiking at dusk like we did. The trail is also brushy and overgrown, so I was naturally thinking about all the other potential snakes close by. Be careful!

Very popular trail! You need to get there in the early morning before the parking lot fills up. The trailhead is off of a winding, narrow road that people like to speed on, so street parking is not recommended. The trail is not very well marked with a bunch of side trails. However, everything is intertwined so if you do wonder from the main trail it is not difficult to find you way back. Can get muddy in late “winter” early spring so bring a towel for your pups’ paws!

Nice trail, well kept. Pretty water features (waterfalls). Very shady. Scouts have erected a sign post down from Mountain View Park. Only disappointment was that the end of the trail did not end at the edge of the lake.

Easy but beautiful hike! Very green with some running water. A little over grown with some bugs, so just bring bug spray and you'll be fine.

up and down trail. a bit muddy after rain and at the end, a waterfall you can cross.

Very well maintained path, not too rocky, but very dense forestry. Nice streams and beautiful waterfall. Paths vary between narrow and wide. Make sure you put some mosquito spray and wear long socks or pants.

Great little trail for taking the dog on a trail run!

Some traffic noise at the start of the trail but mostly a really nice trail next to water. Ends with a pretty cool view at the top of a waterfall.

very nice trail.

Easy two mile out and back. Moderately technical. Kinda smelly.

Great trail, but I would recommend wearing long pants to avoid poison ivy.

Hard to find but once you are on it it’s great. Google map the trail and park in the utility lot near the stoplight.

We took the bottom route not the top so we didn’t get to see the lake at the end but it was beautiful anyway. We’ll definitely do it again & take the Mountain trail

Difficult to find as there is only 3 spots at a Utility parking spot and no trail head or signage. Once we found it it is nice. Muddy and puddled in some spots. Otherwise nice trail.

nice trail, not much traffic.... easy.

Beautiful. A few really pretty small waterfalls, and big rock formations amongst forest like trails. Peaceful walk on a late Sunday afternoon.

Nice trail... lots of road and lawn equipment noise. I was there on a beautiful Sunday afternoon and only saw two other people.

This is a very nice little trail especially considering how close to a neighborhood it lies. At some points you can still hear road noise and lawn care tools from the suburban homes nearby, but it really is very pretty. Feels much more remote than it is. Narrow enough that walking two abreast is not possible for the majority of its length. Not a challenging hike, other than the fact that there are lots of rocks and tree roots, so I wouldn’t feel comfortable trail running here myself. There were just a few mildly slippery spots, which would probably be worse if it has rained more recently. This would be wonderful in the summer as it is mostly shaded. We parked in the tiny lot near the trailhead; only three spots there and it’s not labeled. On a gorgeous (sunny and 70F) Saturday morning around 11 AM, we passed only four or five people, all with dogs on leash. Will definitely be returning.

Thursday, August 23, 2018

The trailhead is to the right of the CoA Water station. There are some lovely rocks and murky water. The trail is shaded and easy at first with some elevation toward the end.

Tuesday, August 21, 2018

I couldn’t find the entrance at first. The trail is big enough for a single line, it’s hard for your dog to walk next to you. There’s a good amount of overgrowth and you’re dodging bushes/hanging tree branches. Lots of horse flies and mosquitos (yes, it’s nature, but just forewarning you). I got to a break in the trail of 3 different paths to take (no direction on what led where) and chose one. That one led to a random suburban neighborhood. I got lost and my google maps said I was a 20 min walk from my car. I didn’t want to go back to the trail so just decided to walk back. I don’t recommend this.