Spicewood Springs Trail

Spicewood Springs Trail is a 3.8 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Bend, Texas that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 3.8 miles Elevation Gain: 288 feet Route Type: Loop

fee

Wilderness trek with some good elevation on the hike! Nice wilderness hike on a dirt/gravel/vegetation trail. The hike has scenic overlooks of the river below. Entrance fee to state park is $5

This trail is gorgeous, make sure you wear shoes as the hike becomes fairly technical and is slick when crossing the springs. Look after your dog's feet too because the rocks are sharp.

Really beautiful trail, so well maintained and easy to follow. Fun hike and perfect place to take a dip. Water shoes with good grip make it even better because the rocks at the bottom of the spring are very slippery.

Awesome spring. Water is crystal clear.

The best trail at the park. Beautiful waterfalls. We got to cross the creeks. Great lookout spots. We saw a rattlesnake the first 100 yards but didnt see another one anywhere.

Fun trail, and a great workout. The hike was worth the views. If your balance is bad maybe bring a hiking stick to assist yourself with crossing streams. Signs say no swimming, but it almost looks too refreshing not to take a dip.

This is a moderately challenging hike as there are some rocks and steep areas along the route. There are 2 water crossings. The first is very easy across a shallow creek under a small waterfall which is very pretty and a nice place to sit and enjoy the scenery and sound of the water. The second is slightly more challenging as the water is probably around ankle deep but a bit more slippery. I wouldn't recommend continuing past the 1st creek crossing if you have small children. You can continue the hike on the more challenging Spicewood Canyon trail for a longer hike which has a steeper incline up the wooded area. The walk alongside the river at the start of the trail is so peaceful.

Some spots were a little "sketch" but it had just enough adventure for us newbies to think we had conquered the world on this hike! We did Gorman Falls last year but we both agreed this trail was more exciting! I recommend trek poles for novice hikers

This is my favorite trail at Colorado Bend, it is moderately challenging with numerous water crossings. I hiked it this weekend (1/26/19) just after a rain. It was muddy in spots and some of the creek crossings required creativity to cross without getting wet feet. I’m surprised to read that people have taken their 6 and 4 year old children on this loop, I would think it would be too much for a 4 year old especially, but my 4 year old little trail dog, Toby, loved it! Although Gorman Falls gets all the attention, this Loop is a real gem and I recommend it to everyone!

Beautiful springs. Really good views. Hiked this with a 6 yo, a 4 yo, and 2 dogs.

Great Views - moderate

Monday, August 13, 2018

It was really great, especially with my dog. There are quite a bit of rocky areas, but the trail is marked well. There is a severe drought right now, however, which made the river very, very low. The areas that were supposed to be river crossings were very shallow, and only one of the springs were active. Overall, we really enjoyed ourselves.

Friday, August 03, 2018

Nice hike, marked very well: I would agree it is a perfect hike on a hot day! Pretty views! If you have Sprint for cell phone service you will not have service on this trail!

Wednesday, July 04, 2018

This trail is awesome!! Especially on a hot summer day as you end up in pools of spring water to swim in! Not sure why it’s rated as moderate? It’s a easy dirt road walk amongst the trees. We all loved loved this one!! 10,12,14,15 and 40 something parents

Sunday, June 03, 2018

beautiful hike natural springs pools for kids dog friendly!

Tuesday, March 13, 2018

This was my first time to this park. The hike was full of beautiful views, from small waterfalls, to gorgeous views overlooking the stream below. it was well worth the 2.5 hour drive.

Sunday, February 11, 2018

So, we started on the Spicewood Canyon Trail, and wound around back on the Spicewood Springs Trail. The Canyon trail had great views, with some good inclines. Once we swung back on the Springs trail, we were in for a treat. Glad I had my trekking stick to help with the balancing on rocks while crossing river trails, the many awesome river trails. Great time. Definitely a moderate rating for this hike.

Tuesday, December 19, 2017

My favorite trail in the Park.

Friday, December 15, 2017

Good trail, especially lower portion. Took lemons Ridge to add distance, but that was pretty boring so don’t recommend it. Be aware that right now they’re doing controlled burns in the park so several other trails (including Gorman Falls) are closed. Will definitely do it again!

Monday, October 30, 2017

Nice day hike. Bring some water with you. The river is a nice touch to the hike. Gives you a bit more scenery. You can also go for a walk in it in some spots where it is really low.

Friday, July 28, 2017

Fun to explore, always something new just around the corner. Can get very crowded.

Tuesday, March 21, 2017

Nice trail no need for hiking boots. You can actually swim in the upper spring pool. Just beautiful and the water is very clear. A must see!!!

Wednesday, March 08, 2017

This was a great trail in my opinion it's better than gorman falls

Sunday, January 01, 2017

Great hike!!

Sunday, October 30, 2016

This review is for the actual Spicewood Springs trail in Colorado Bend State Park. It was well worth coming back to the park to do this (these) trails. I would recommend starting at the Spicewood Canyon point and take that all the way to the end. Then loop back using the Spicewood Springs route. You will cross the water a few times and if the water is high...you might get your feet wet. Bring a spare pair of socks...maybe even a second pair of shoes. There is also an area to swim at the turn around point. Wish I brought some shorts and a towel.

Thursday, October 06, 2016

Very hot if you go during the summer, the spring pool is amazing. I'm looking forward to going after it cools down so I can explore more.

Friday, September 16, 2016

added this onto the spicewood springs trail.Made for a nice way back to the starting point.

Thursday, September 15, 2016

enjoyed the challenge of water crossings and very varied terrain.

Tuesday, July 05, 2016

Horrible! Took me to the middle of nowhere! Wasted an hour of my life just to drive to BFE!