Sparta Mountain and Belton Lake

Sparta Mountain and Belton Lake is a 7.5 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Killeen, Texas that offers the chance to see wildlife. The trail is rated as moderate offers a number of activity options. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

old growth

This loop is most commonly used for mountain biking and is overgrown and mostly unmarked.

I have been out here a few times and like others mentioned the trail markings are pretty bad. Today we managed to follow the entire blue trail, about 8 miles. Please note we hiked. We did come across only one tree laying over the trail. My hiking partner today (he is also a mountain biker) said the trail was not the best, but bike-able. I figured out where I had gone wrong on my previous attempt to hike the blue trail. I had left the trail and followed some of the red trail to the paint ball area and ended up taking the blue trail back up the mountain and ended up losing the trail after the big uphill next to the intersection of Liberty Hill road and Nolan Road. The trail is designed to be followed from the parking lot at the Obstacle course clockwise. Some of the trail markings are not visible going the other direction. Some nice soul has marked some of the trail with blue spray paint and made staying on the trail a lot easier, because the "official" trail markings are sometimes misleading or flat out wrong (especially where the blue and green trails meet) I plan on going back and tying some flags on the trees soon. Personally I think the searching for the trail at times are part of the fun hiking this trail .... Please note that we had checked in at the entrance to BLORA , had gotten a map -just like the one in parking lot - and used it in conjunction with the GPS on my phone when we were unsure. The reason to check in is that the place is very little travelled and they ask you to at least call to let them know you are off the trail....

Not very well maintained

Saturday, May 13, 2017

Worst trail ever. I have to agree they are very poorly marked. what might be a trail is so overgrown you don't know. you have the option of three different trails but the only thing that tells you that you're on your Trail is sometimes a blue paint limb or maybe a rock in the ground. I got lost and it took me for 4 hours. the only reason I gave it one star is because it will not allow you to post without writing it this is the time that you need a negative star

Wednesday, December 28, 2016

The trails are poorly marked- it's easy to get confused especially since the trail outlined here isn't accurate. It's close- you can follow it for a reference and be OK, but there are a few spots that are hard to read. There are also hunters out during deer season (I don't think they're supposed to be out here). Also keep an eye out for cattle.... they wander freely through the area (they ARE allowed to be out here). Overall, it's alright- nothing spectacular.

Thursday, December 22, 2016

terrible.

Sunday, November 27, 2016

Decent hike but trails are not well marked around the 'check in' point. You will want to have your gps/app accessible. Very quiet hike with no human interaction. Only a few cows to say 'hello' to. I would recommend entering this trail from the Sparta Mountain location. There is a map at the parking lot and you will be able to identify the color coded routes.

Thursday, December 24, 2015

When I went the beginner trail was rough as someone drove a truck through the trail along with what looked like horse's and cow's going through. So Ive tried the Intermitted trail as I rode it before, It was a mistake as it is overgrown with branches covering the trail and sign's and paint nearly covered up or completely gone. If they took more care of the trail's I would give them a better star rating.

Wednesday, March 11, 2015

Overgrown trails with very poor signage. Many trails run out into fallen trees and brush. If there were good trail maintenance with some clear trail markings, these could be 5/5 stars. Nice open paths which changes from loamy, piney dirt to very rocky terrain. Sections are difficult to climb but a blast to descend.

Sunday, February 08, 2015

The trails at BLORA were pretty fun to ride. I would recommend that you have a good level of cardio before tackling any of these trails. Also, proper shifting technique is a good skill to have. There are a lot of rocky areas and some cactus to look out for. Although challenging it was worth the effort.

Monday, August 14, 2017