South Wilderness Trail

South Wilderness Trail is a 7.3 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Montgomery, Texas that features a great forest setting and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, and trail running and is accessible year-round.

Good trail. Not a difficult hike, would rate easier. Only con was a spiderweb across the trail every two steps. But other than that it was a nice quiet trail.

Great time with my son. Nice trail. Turned around at the 3-4 mile point. Nicely maintained up to that point & enjoyable.

Nice hike with my dad. It gets better the further out you go

Friday, December 09, 2016

My 10, 8, and 8 yr old kids loved it and so did I. Great trail!!

Saturday, October 22, 2016

Well marked. Great scenery.

Saturday, July 02, 2016

great hike, we loved the scenery and had a great time. Just watch for sticker briers

Thursday, June 30, 2016

Beautiful trail if you are preparing to do something larger. Worth the day.

Monday, March 14, 2016

My favorite parts are the usually dry creek beds.

Monday, June 30, 2014

Me and my girlfriend took on this trail and it was ok, bugs where a bit bad and the trail was a little overgrown the farther you go but with the right clothing it can be done, over all it was a good and trail and I had a good time, but my girlfriend on the other hand.. We'll not so much.

Thursday, June 12, 2014

We hiked part of the Little Lake Creek Wilderness loop trail in February. We parked off of Rt 149 and hiked about 1/2 mile in to get to the loop trail. It was pleasant and pretty easy hiking. We only did part of the loop & turned around and hiked back to the vehicle.

Thursday, June 05, 2014

Me and two buddies hiked this on June 4, 2014. We started at trail head three of the loan star hiking trail and turned onto little lake creek loop which takes you south toward lake Conroe and the back west to the parking lot on this map. Within the first hour I found three ticks. That was on the LSHT. When we turned onto the little lake creek loop things got worse. The trail was extremely narrow and over grown. Parts were muddy and we slipped on some steep banks crossing creeks. There is very minimal elevation, but these other challenges make the trail moderately difficult. Ticks were the biggest problem. We had countless encounters with the Lone Star Tick (which is huge) and a smaller tick, possibly the nymph or a deer tick. We were packing in and planning to stay a the night, but the ticks and a broken hiking boot sent us home after seven uncomfortable hours of trudging through these thick woods.

I will say that the part of this trail marked on the map here was nicer. It felt more like the Sam Rayburn area of East Texas and was more open. There was a nice pond off a side trial to the north. Extensive maps and other info about trails in the Sam Houston forest can be found at the Lone Star Hiking Club website.

I would go back to these trails, but probably not in June-August.

Sunday, February 23, 2014

We got so lost. Do not get even a little bit off the trail. Also, the trail on the map here is a bit inaccurate. This caused a lot of pain and heartache. 0/10 will not hike again

Friday, October 11, 2013

This trail is 7 miles as part of a larger trail called Little Lake Creek Loop that totals 21 miles.

7 mile trail run on Easter Morning. Good trail. Several creek crossings. Pretty easy all around but good clean trail for running.