South Rim Trail - Boot Springs Trail

South Rim Trail - Boot Springs Trail is a 11.9 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Terlingua, Texas that features beautiful wild flowers and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, camping, birding, and backpacking and is accessible year-round.

This is a solid hike. Went up Pinnacles and looped around clockwise. 5 hours hiking plus a 20 minute break at South Rim two days after snowfall. Pretty majestic views up the Pinnacles and, of course, at the rim. One of my top two hikes (so far).

Completed this trail on 11/20/2017. We parked at the amphitheater, hiked Pinnacles Trail to Boot Canyon then took the NE Rim Trail around to the SW-4 campsite. The campsite was amazing, about 100 feet or so to the rim with amazing east facing views. The next morning we hiked around the South Rim Trial with many stops along the way to check out the views. We continued around the Laguna Meadows Trail back to the Amphitheater. Total round trip was about 14 miles.

Tough strenuous but breathtaking

This is absolutely gorgeous trail and offers so many breathtaking views of the south side of the park. Surreal at sunrise and moon rise. WOW!!!!

My brother and i hiked this on the 8th of November and spent the night on the southeast rim! Absolutely incredible view from near our campsite.

We hiked clockwise and did the entire rim, emory Peak, and had planned on going back up Laguna meadows but due to some other advice we ended up going back Colima to pinnacles. We got a lot of fog throughout in the beginning. It seemed to clear off by the afternoon. But it did cloud our view on emory Peak and most of the first half of the hike. One of the reasons we went back on pinnacles to get the full experience.

We packed 2 gallons of water a piece and it was a very good amount for hydration and the luxury of coffee while watching the sunset on the rim. We took 2 days. Started at 9 the first day and got to camp around 4. The second day we also started at 9 and got back to the basin around 2. We clocked 17.8 mi total the route we went.

Incredible hike with some difficult sections if you are carrying water and overnight gear but completely worth it!! I would absolutely recommend taking the extra mileage to travel the full rim trail!

we did this hike on Nov 4, 2017. we did the trail clockwise (via pinnacles trail) per recommendations and glad we did. I tracked the hike and it's about 12.7 mile loop. the hike wasn't too difficult. we started at 12:15pm and completed the hike at 6:20pm, with a few quick breaks and 10 min lunch. the view at the top made this hike worthwhile. glad I got to check this one off my big bend hiking list.

What a wonderful hike! I would consider this a must if you are in Big Bend. The park ranger said The Lost Mine Trail was the most popular, but I enjoyed this one more.

When you start the hike you have the option of going up Pinnacles (clockwise) or Laguna Meadow (counter). We went up Pinnacles, which I would recommend. Hiking up Laguna will put a lot of the views to your back. I also agree with some previous reviews that Laguna is the "boring" part, so if you just did an out and back up the Pinnacles, you wouldn't be missing too much.

The views are incredible from the top. Far exceeded my expectations. Could have spent all day looking out over the rim. The views make this the best hike in the park, IMO.

Also, saw my first bear! I've always been afraid of a bear encounter, because you only really hear the horror stories on the news. But this bear saw me before I saw him, and he hightailed it up the mountain before I could even blink. There has never been a bear attack in Big Bend, so even though these big creatures are super scary in person, as long as you don't agitate or threaten them, they really do want nothing to do with you.

We didn't see any mountain lions, but we did see a tarantula, which was cool. Not as scary in person, as these are pretty docile critters.

Lastly, this wasn't a busy hike- we only saw 6 other people the 11+ miles we were in the trail. It was pretty cool to have the trail to ourselves, especially at the top.

Great views even on a cloudy day. Hiked out via Pinnacles Trail (clockwise), adding Emory Peak spur and then continuing on toward the South Rim via Boot Canyon. I did not see photos prior to the hike, so it was an added thrill when the rim came out of nowhere after hiking through a meadow. Also thrilling: watching thunderstorms develop over the desert, and racing them back to Chisos Basin. 19.8 miles for the whole route, according to my phone, in about 8 hours.

This is a difficult hike, but it's worth every mile! Not only are the views from the rim breathtaking, but you'll also experience a variety of other beautiful landscapes along the way. There were still a lot of clouds at the rim when we arrive around 11:00 am, but thankfully, the sun burned them off pretty quickly after waiting around for a bit to try and get a better peak over the edge.

We saw a couple of bears about 3-4 miles in, but never any mountain lions.

AMAZING

Holy shit ! Best view I've ever seen . This is my favorite park in USA

Awesome trail! A lot of shade!

Spent our second night on a three-day trip up on the rim -- it was amazing. Beautiful trail through a canyon along a stream (often dry) and then up to the South Rim. the views from up in the Rim are incredible.

Can be a difficult and straining hike overall, but incredibly satisfying in both completion and all of the many amazing views.

unbelievably strenuous! this hike will make you work those demons out! We hiked up to the junction for Emory Peak with all of our camping gear on our backs, and then back down towards the south rim and camped over night. the hike was beautiful of course. be prepared! wear sturdy shoes, bring lots of water and snacks! maybe even knee support, there are a lot of switch backs. its about 4 miles just to Emory peak, and around 3,000 feet in elevation gain.

I hiked the South Rim trail via Pinnacles back in March! Beautiful hike! Take lots of water!

Awesome hike! My husband and I did it in 6 hours with a few stops, including a 20 minute lunch break at the halfway point.

When you start out you'll have a choice to follow the South Rim trail by making a right or left. This sign reminded me of the Cheshire Cat from Alice in Wonderland pointing his fingers in both directions. We went right and are glad we did. If you start out left you've got some serious elevation to start climbing. Plus, some of the best views are BEHIND you. You'd have to stop and turnaround to see it all. Since we went right we had a more gradual incline at the start and were able to see the views right in front of us when we were close to finishing the loop.

The first quarter of the hike was kind of boring.. seemed like just a regular hike. I was wondering where the views everyone wrote about were. Once we got closer to the halfway point the views started coming out.. it was definitely worth the trek.

Notes:
1. Going up follow the South Rim signs. Going down follow the Chisos Basin signs.
2. There is a bathroom half way so you don't need to go off the trail to relieve yourself if you don't want to :)
3. Bring plenty of water and food. I drank almost all of my 2 liter hydration pack. I had some nutrition bars and a PB and J along the way.
4. There is a convenience store and restaurant at the bottom of the trail so if you forgot something you could pick things up there.
5. Wear sunblock.
6. The trail is well marked and maintained. Be aware that you'll be walking on a lot of loose rocks.
7. You can see exactly where you are at on the trail (even when in airplane mode) by looking at the map on this app!

Trail Rating:
- Easy if you're a Colorado ultramarathoner.
- Moderate if you're a regular athletic person that enjoy hiking.
- Hard if you don't get out much.

Very doable! I was pretty nervous because it was my first time doing a 12 mile hike. We started from the pinnacles trail as it is a more gradual ascent than the Laguna meadows. The vegetation changes throughout the loop which was pretty interesting! The views of the mountains was amazing and we also got to see a snake on our way up! It took us 8 hours total. We took a lot of breaks! Make sure to take lots of water and snacks

Started Pinnacles trail at 7:00 am before first light, reached the top at sunrise. Great views. Moderate switchbacks. After that I dont remember doing much uphill and it wasn't very strenuous at all. Seriously Ive lived in Texas all my life and had no idea that there was such beautiful views as on the South Rim section of this trail. Amazing. I saw a peregrine falcon bomb off the cliff of the South Rim towards a smaller bird that had just flown by. Needless to say it all happened really quick, and I wasn't trying to stand at the edge to look down and see what played out!! Coming down Laguna section a rattlesnake threatened me from a tall rock just off the trail. Whole thing took me 6.5 hours. Would highly recommend this trail to anyone who likes hiking.

very nice hike with great views of continuous mountains