South Rim Trail - Boot Springs Trail

South Rim Trail - Boot Springs Trail is a 11.9 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Terlingua, Texas that features beautiful wild flowers and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, camping, birding, and backpacking and is accessible year-round.

Spent our second night on a three-day trip up on the rim -- it was amazing. Beautiful trail through a canyon along a stream (often dry) and then up to the South Rim. the views from up in the Rim are incredible.

Can be a difficult and straining hike overall, but incredibly satisfying in both completion and all of the many amazing views.

unbelievably strenuous! this hike will make you work those demons out! We hiked up to the junction for Emory Peak with all of our camping gear on our backs, and then back down towards the south rim and camped over night. the hike was beautiful of course. be prepared! wear sturdy shoes, bring lots of water and snacks! maybe even knee support, there are a lot of switch backs. its about 4 miles just to Emory peak, and around 3,000 feet in elevation gain.

I hiked the South Rim trail via Pinnacles back in March! Beautiful hike! Take lots of water!

Awesome hike! My husband and I did it in 6 hours with a few stops, including a 20 minute lunch break at the halfway point.

When you start out you'll have a choice to follow the South Rim trail by making a right or left. This sign reminded me of the Cheshire Cat from Alice in Wonderland pointing his fingers in both directions. We went right and are glad we did. If you start out left you've got some serious elevation to start climbing. Plus, some of the best views are BEHIND you. You'd have to stop and turnaround to see it all. Since we went right we had a more gradual incline at the start and were able to see the views right in front of us when we were close to finishing the loop.

The first quarter of the hike was kind of boring.. seemed like just a regular hike. I was wondering where the views everyone wrote about were. Once we got closer to the halfway point the views started coming out.. it was definitely worth the trek.

Notes:
1. Going up follow the South Rim signs. Going down follow the Chisos Basin signs.
2. There is a bathroom half way so you don't need to go off the trail to relieve yourself if you don't want to :)
3. Bring plenty of water and food. I drank almost all of my 2 liter hydration pack. I had some nutrition bars and a PB and J along the way.
4. There is a convenience store and restaurant at the bottom of the trail so if you forgot something you could pick things up there.
5. Wear sunblock.
6. The trail is well marked and maintained. Be aware that you'll be walking on a lot of loose rocks.
7. You can see exactly where you are at on the trail (even when in airplane mode) by looking at the map on this app!

Trail Rating:
- Easy if you're a Colorado ultramarathoner.
- Moderate if you're a regular athletic person that enjoy hiking.
- Hard if you don't get out much.

Very doable! I was pretty nervous because it was my first time doing a 12 mile hike. We started from the pinnacles trail as it is a more gradual ascent than the Laguna meadows. The vegetation changes throughout the loop which was pretty interesting! The views of the mountains was amazing and we also got to see a snake on our way up! It took us 8 hours total. We took a lot of breaks! Make sure to take lots of water and snacks

Started Pinnacles trail at 7:00 am before first light, reached the top at sunrise. Great views. Moderate switchbacks. After that I dont remember doing much uphill and it wasn't very strenuous at all. Seriously Ive lived in Texas all my life and had no idea that there was such beautiful views as on the South Rim section of this trail. Amazing. I saw a peregrine falcon bomb off the cliff of the South Rim towards a smaller bird that had just flown by. Needless to say it all happened really quick, and I wasn't trying to stand at the edge to look down and see what played out!! Coming down Laguna section a rattlesnake threatened me from a tall rock just off the trail. Whole thing took me 6.5 hours. Would highly recommend this trail to anyone who likes hiking.

very nice hike with great views of continuous mountains

Amazing trip! We made it to the top for the sunrise and saw a bear. It is a hard trail but completely worth it!