South Rim Trail - Boot Springs Trail

South Rim Trail - Boot Springs Trail is a 11.9 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Terlingua, Texas that features beautiful wild flowers and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, camping, birding, and backpacking and is accessible year-round.

What a wonderful hike! I would consider this a must if you are in Big Bend. The park ranger said The Lost Mine Trail was the most popular, but I enjoyed this one more.

When you start the hike you have the option of going up Pinnacles (clockwise) or Laguna Meadow (counter). We went up Pinnacles, which I would recommend. Hiking up Laguna will put a lot of the views to your back. I also agree with some previous reviews that Laguna is the "boring" part, so if you just did an out and back up the Pinnacles, you wouldn't be missing too much.

The views are incredible from the top. Far exceeded my expectations. Could have spent all day looking out over the rim. The views make this the best hike in the park, IMO.

Also, saw my first bear! I've always been afraid of a bear encounter, because you only really hear the horror stories on the news. But this bear saw me before I saw him, and he hightailed it up the mountain before I could even blink. There has never been a bear attack in Big Bend, so even though these big creatures are super scary in person, as long as you don't agitate or threaten them, they really do want nothing to do with you.

We didn't see any mountain lions, but we did see a tarantula, which was cool. Not as scary in person, as these are pretty docile critters.

Lastly, this wasn't a busy hike- we only saw 6 other people the 11+ miles we were in the trail. It was pretty cool to have the trail to ourselves, especially at the top.

Great views even on a cloudy day. Hiked out via Pinnacles Trail (clockwise), adding Emory Peak spur and then continuing on toward the South Rim via Boot Canyon. I did not see photos prior to the hike, so it was an added thrill when the rim came out of nowhere after hiking through a meadow. Also thrilling: watching thunderstorms develop over the desert, and racing them back to Chisos Basin. 19.8 miles for the whole route, according to my phone, in about 8 hours.

This is a difficult hike, but it's worth every mile! Not only are the views from the rim breathtaking, but you'll also experience a variety of other beautiful landscapes along the way. There were still a lot of clouds at the rim when we arrive around 11:00 am, but thankfully, the sun burned them off pretty quickly after waiting around for a bit to try and get a better peak over the edge.

We saw a couple of bears about 3-4 miles in, but never any mountain lions.

AMAZING

Holy shit ! Best view I've ever seen . This is my favorite park in USA

Awesome trail! A lot of shade!

Spent our second night on a three-day trip up on the rim -- it was amazing. Beautiful trail through a canyon along a stream (often dry) and then up to the South Rim. the views from up in the Rim are incredible.

Can be a difficult and straining hike overall, but incredibly satisfying in both completion and all of the many amazing views.

unbelievably strenuous! this hike will make you work those demons out! We hiked up to the junction for Emory Peak with all of our camping gear on our backs, and then back down towards the south rim and camped over night. the hike was beautiful of course. be prepared! wear sturdy shoes, bring lots of water and snacks! maybe even knee support, there are a lot of switch backs. its about 4 miles just to Emory peak, and around 3,000 feet in elevation gain.

I hiked the South Rim trail via Pinnacles back in March! Beautiful hike! Take lots of water!