South Rim Trail - Boot Springs Trail

South Rim Trail - Boot Springs Trail is a 11.9 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Terlingua, Texas that features beautiful wild flowers and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, camping, birding, and backpacking and is accessible year-round.

24 minutes ago

This is a difficult hike, but it's worth every mile! Not only are the views from the rim breathtaking, but you'll also experience a variety of other beautiful landscapes along the way. There were still a lot of clouds at the rim when we arrive around 11:00 am, but thankfully, the sun burned them off pretty quickly after waiting around for a bit to try and get a better peak over the edge.

We saw a couple of bears about 3-4 miles in, but never any mountain lions.

AMAZING

Holy shit ! Best view I've ever seen . This is my favorite park in USA

Awesome trail! A lot of shade!

Spent our second night on a three-day trip up on the rim -- it was amazing. Beautiful trail through a canyon along a stream (often dry) and then up to the South Rim. the views from up in the Rim are incredible.

Can be a difficult and straining hike overall, but incredibly satisfying in both completion and all of the many amazing views.

unbelievably strenuous! this hike will make you work those demons out! We hiked up to the junction for Emory Peak with all of our camping gear on our backs, and then back down towards the south rim and camped over night. the hike was beautiful of course. be prepared! wear sturdy shoes, bring lots of water and snacks! maybe even knee support, there are a lot of switch backs. its about 4 miles just to Emory peak, and around 3,000 feet in elevation gain.

I hiked the South Rim trail via Pinnacles back in March! Beautiful hike! Take lots of water!

Awesome hike! My husband and I did it in 6 hours with a few stops, including a 20 minute lunch break at the halfway point.

When you start out you'll have a choice to follow the South Rim trail by making a right or left. This sign reminded me of the Cheshire Cat from Alice in Wonderland pointing his fingers in both directions. We went right and are glad we did. If you start out left you've got some serious elevation to start climbing. Plus, some of the best views are BEHIND you. You'd have to stop and turnaround to see it all. Since we went right we had a more gradual incline at the start and were able to see the views right in front of us when we were close to finishing the loop.

The first quarter of the hike was kind of boring.. seemed like just a regular hike. I was wondering where the views everyone wrote about were. Once we got closer to the halfway point the views started coming out.. it was definitely worth the trek.

Notes:
1. Going up follow the South Rim signs. Going down follow the Chisos Basin signs.
2. There is a bathroom half way so you don't need to go off the trail to relieve yourself if you don't want to :)
3. Bring plenty of water and food. I drank almost all of my 2 liter hydration pack. I had some nutrition bars and a PB and J along the way.
4. There is a convenience store and restaurant at the bottom of the trail so if you forgot something you could pick things up there.
5. Wear sunblock.
6. The trail is well marked and maintained. Be aware that you'll be walking on a lot of loose rocks.
7. You can see exactly where you are at on the trail (even when in airplane mode) by looking at the map on this app!

Trail Rating:
- Easy if you're a Colorado ultramarathoner.
- Moderate if you're a regular athletic person that enjoy hiking.
- Hard if you don't get out much.

Very doable! I was pretty nervous because it was my first time doing a 12 mile hike. We started from the pinnacles trail as it is a more gradual ascent than the Laguna meadows. The vegetation changes throughout the loop which was pretty interesting! The views of the mountains was amazing and we also got to see a snake on our way up! It took us 8 hours total. We took a lot of breaks! Make sure to take lots of water and snacks