South Rim Trail - Boot Springs Trail

South Rim Trail - Boot Springs Trail is a 11.9 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Terlingua, Texas that features beautiful wild flowers and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, camping, birding, and backpacking and is accessible year-round.

Awesome hike! My husband and I did it in 6 hours with a few stops, including a 20 minute lunch break at the halfway point.

When you start out you'll have a choice to follow the South Rim trail by making a right or left. This sign reminded me of the Cheshire Cat from Alice in Wonderland pointing his fingers in both directions. We went right and are glad we did. If you start out left you've got some serious elevation to start climbing. Plus, some of the best views are BEHIND you. You'd have to stop and turnaround to see it all. Since we went right we had a more gradual incline at the start and were able to see the views right in front of us when we were close to finishing the loop.

The first quarter of the hike was kind of boring.. seemed like just a regular hike. I was wondering where the views everyone wrote about were. Once we got closer to the halfway point the views started coming out.. it was definitely worth the trek.

Notes:
1. Going up follow the South Rim signs. Going down follow the Chisos Basin signs.
2. There is a bathroom half way so you don't need to go off the trail to relieve yourself if you don't want to :)
3. Bring plenty of water and food. I drank almost all of my 2 liter hydration pack. I had some nutrition bars and a PB and J along the way.
4. There is a convenience store and restaurant at the bottom of the trail so if you forgot something you could pick things up there.
5. Wear sunblock.
6. The trail is well marked and maintained. Be aware that you'll be walking on a lot of loose rocks.
7. You can see exactly where you are at on the trail (even when in airplane mode) by looking at the map on this app!

Trail Rating:
- Easy if you're a Colorado ultramarathoner.
- Moderate if you're a regular athletic person that enjoy hiking.
- Hard if you don't get out much.

Very doable! I was pretty nervous because it was my first time doing a 12 mile hike. We started from the pinnacles trail as it is a more gradual ascent than the Laguna meadows. The vegetation changes throughout the loop which was pretty interesting! The views of the mountains was amazing and we also got to see a snake on our way up! It took us 8 hours total. We took a lot of breaks! Make sure to take lots of water and snacks

Started Pinnacles trail at 7:00 am before first light, reached the top at sunrise. Great views. Moderate switchbacks. After that I dont remember doing much uphill and it wasn't very strenuous at all. Seriously Ive lived in Texas all my life and had no idea that there was such beautiful views as on the South Rim section of this trail. Amazing. I saw a peregrine falcon bomb off the cliff of the South Rim towards a smaller bird that had just flown by. Needless to say it all happened really quick, and I wasn't trying to stand at the edge to look down and see what played out!! Coming down Laguna section a rattlesnake threatened me from a tall rock just off the trail. Whole thing took me 6.5 hours. Would highly recommend this trail to anyone who likes hiking.

very nice hike with great views of continuous mountains

Amazing trip! We made it to the top for the sunrise and saw a bear. It is a hard trail but completely worth it!

The South Rim is definitely worth the view!

My friend and I did this trail in around 7 hours (taking a few quick breaks along the way). The trail was a bit of a workout, but totally worth the amazing views along the South rim. The trail is extremely well marked so you don't even need a map -- just start at the lodge area and follow the signs. I would recommend starting early in the day if you want to make it in 1 day. Sadly the northeast rim was closed for falcon nesting -- we were going to add this 3 mile or so loop to our hike.

The volunteer at the visitors center said the Lost Mine trail was the most bang for the buck as far as the view was concerned, but South Rim was the most bang in Big Bend. Having hiked both of these trail I couldn't agree more. The views off the South Rim were incredible, but it's a long and moderately difficult hike. We hiked from the Basin trailhead up Laguna meadows to the Rim then back thru Boot Springs and Pinnacles, for 12 mile total. The Southeast and Northeast Rim trails were closed or we would have added them to the loop.

Breathtaking view from South Rim. See photos.

Just did this trail this weekend. Went up Laguna Meadows, stayed 1 night there, then continued to South Rim and did a night there. Continued on to the Northeast trail, Boot Canyon trail, and finally down Pinnacles back to the basin. My honest assessment is mixed. I had done Pinnacles up to Emory Peak last April. I kind of liked going UP Pinnacles steep switch-backs for the short time better than going up the long gradual elevation of Laguna Meadows trail to South Rim. I highly suggest doing NE rim trail if you do South Rim. Might as well. You're there, and it hits Boot Canyon trail anyhow. Views are insane! Also, take a good filter, there is water that pools behind the SE camps in the canyon. Lifesaver because that is the last water you find if you do NE trail.

This was the highlight of Big Bend for me. It's definitely a strenuous trail but it's so worth the effort. The views are really nice all the way up. But once you get up to the south rim it is just incredible. I just can't even describe it. You have to see it for yourself. Make sure you pack food and water. The loop took us most of the day at a pretty easy going pace.