Smith Spring Trail is a 2.4 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Salt Flat, Texas that features a river and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

Distance: 2.4 miles Elevation Gain: 387 feet Route Type: Loop

Hike to an oasis in the desert.

We traveled from the RGV parking lot along the foothills trail to smith springs. Very flat, yet enjoyable to be on flat trail versus two days of Rocky trails. Manzanilla spring was a bit dinky but amazed at people having settled out there. The hike to the smith spring was a bit more challenging than advertised. It could have been the previous hike in the morning. Regardless, smith spring was worth the hike, quite an oasis in the rugged terrain. Take your time and eat a meal while your there, very shaded and cool.

We went counterclockwise after reading prior reviews. It was a really beautiful hike. We had a small child so it took awhile. But the spring is a beautiful place to rest and have a snack.

Very nice trail with great views. The creek area with large trees was awesome!

romantic

This was our first trail as a family of 6 with the youngest being 6 years, the spring at the mid point was beautiful and an excellent place to cool off and eat our snacks, will definitely be going back to this trail and others in the future!!great trail!

Beautiful trail! Easy at first, then more moderate. Overall, a day hike worth taking.

hike was great but very rocky

Nice hike ending with a spring

Depending what you want, this might be the hike for you. I enjoyed the climbs in the park more. This is a pretty flat trail with little trees. I will say that the springs are an oasis along this desert trail. I would be really cool to get to the Springs on a hot summer day.

I did this trail counterclockwise. It was paved and then a bit rocky on the assent. If you’re not used to the elevation, the assent might make you breath heavier than expected for the elevation gain. Overall, very nice.

Very easy worthwhile hike. Beautiful spring at the end - surrounded by October colors. Go counterclockwise - better for knees on way back. Good warm up for the peak the next day.

Great little hike with my younger son. Labor Day weekend 2018

Saturday, August 11, 2018

Nice simple trail, not very scenic or adventurous for us, have our 6 and 8 year old that wanted more challenging trials. Again This trail is nice but nothing compared to the rest. Definitely would rate as EASY not Moderate.

Thursday, June 28, 2018

This trail is perfect for those who want a more leisurely hike. It starts off with wide open spaces and an incredible view where you can “see forever.” We prefer to take the trail up the foothills to the left since it’s less of a strenuous climb. All the way up you will wonder at the variety of desert trees and plants. We traversed through at least 13 creeks. The surprise awaits in the grove of trees that are nestled against the mountain. In it you’ll find a stunning spring with small waterfalls, pools and bridges. The source of the spring is right there under a large boulder. It is especially beautiful in the fall when the trees turn orange, yellow, red, pink and purple. It’s like an enchanted forest! It’s one of my favorite trails!

Tuesday, June 12, 2018

This is my favorite place in Texas! Best hike with an actual oasis!

Saturday, December 23, 2017

Very nice trail with many wildflowers in season and good views of the mountains.

Sunday, November 19, 2017

Trail starts by Frijole Ranch buildings. Nice views of the surrounding flatter areas. Trail covered in loose rock. I met a couple of Javelina on the trail. I went mid November, but would not have enjoyed this in warm weather as the trail is mostly non shaded.

Tuesday, November 07, 2017

Shorter hike with year round pond and stream another gem of the Guadalupes

Monday, October 30, 2017

good hike for senior citizens. seems to longer than 2.5 miles. enjoyable in cool weather.

Thursday, October 12, 2017

Paired with Devils hall. Loved the spring.

Friday, September 22, 2017

Had a great time, planned a group hike, four adults, four kiddos they loved seeing the water definitely a great trip!

Saturday, September 02, 2017

The spring at the top is shady and cool

Saturday, July 29, 2017

Starts at Frijole Ranch, follows a canyon for a good while through desert terrain and just when you think you've had enough, you walk into the Spring area. It's a beautiful oasis in the middle of a harsh desert-mountain climate. Beautiful and amazing in every way! Had the whole trail to myself and just myself and a deer at the Spring for probably over an hour! A must do for Guadalupe Mountains, in my opinion.

Tuesday, June 13, 2017

My time at Guadalupe Mountains National park was very limited, so I chose this trail instead of the Peak hike. Sadly, I probably would have been better just taking a pass. The trail just isn't that interesting and the views are kinda meh. I chalked it up as a chance to stretch my legs after a long car ride.

Friday, May 12, 2017

Great little day hike up to a natural spring at the top. We did the loop counter clockwise which was a little steeper right before the springs but we'll worth it. Great picknic area to have lunch at the springs before you head back down

Friday, April 21, 2017

Great, I'm a chub and I was able to complete it.

Wednesday, March 08, 2017

Great low maintenance hike with great views. Go in the morning or late afternoon and look for the resident Mule Deer and Javelina in the meadows in between the trail loop.

Tuesday, December 27, 2016

Great hike! Not too hard, well worth the hike.