Smith Spring Trail

Smith Spring Trail is a 2.5 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Carlsbad, Texas that features a river and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

Hike to an oasis in the desert.

Starts at Frijole Ranch, follows a canyon for a good while through desert terrain and just when you think you've had enough, you walk into the Spring area. It's a beautiful oasis in the middle of a harsh desert-mountain climate.

Beautiful and amazing in every way! Had the whole trail to myself and just myself and a deer at the Spring for probably over an hour! A must do for Guadalupe Mountains, in my opinion.

My time at Guadalupe Mountains National park was very limited, so I chose this trail instead of the Peak hike. Sadly, I probably would have been better just taking a pass. The trail just isn't that interesting and the views are kinda meh. I chalked it up as a chance to stretch my legs after a long car ride.

Great little day hike up to a natural spring at the top. We did the loop counter clockwise which was a little steeper right before the springs but we'll worth it. Great picknic area to have lunch at the springs before you head back down

Great, I'm a chub and I was able to complete it.

Great low maintenance hike with great views. Go in the morning or late afternoon and look for the resident Mule Deer and Javelina in the meadows in between the trail loop.

Great hike! Not too hard, well worth the hike.

Nice short loop that you can make challenging because the first mile is uphill with plenty of rocks. The red and yellow foliage at the creek are beautiful! There's even a little waterfall! Fun trail indeed.

I would echo the other reviewers. Short and especially scenic at the springs. Also, the ranch house complex at the trailhead is worthwhile.

Wednesday, May 11, 2016

Sunday, November 22, 2015

A great short trail to a beautiful little hidden area with trees and a spring. Great birding around the Frijoles Ranch starting point as well. This is a good spot for lovely fall colors as well.

Sunday, July 12, 2015

Very easy walk to a nice cool spring/pond.

Sunday, November 02, 2014