Smith Spring Trail

Smith Spring Trail is a 2.5 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Carlsbad, Texas that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

Hike to an oasis in the desert.

Trail starts by Frijole Ranch buildings. Nice views of the surrounding flatter areas. Trail covered in loose rock. I met a couple of Javelina on the trail. I went mid November, but would not have enjoyed this in warm weather as the trail is mostly non shaded.

Shorter hike with year round pond and stream another gem of the Guadalupes

good hike for senior citizens. seems to longer than 2.5 miles. enjoyable in cool weather.

Paired with Devils hall. Loved the spring.

Had a great time, planned a group hike, four adults, four kiddos they loved seeing the water definitely a great trip!

The spring at the top is shady and cool

Starts at Frijole Ranch, follows a canyon for a good while through desert terrain and just when you think you've had enough, you walk into the Spring area. It's a beautiful oasis in the middle of a harsh desert-mountain climate.

Beautiful and amazing in every way! Had the whole trail to myself and just myself and a deer at the Spring for probably over an hour! A must do for Guadalupe Mountains, in my opinion.

My time at Guadalupe Mountains National park was very limited, so I chose this trail instead of the Peak hike. Sadly, I probably would have been better just taking a pass. The trail just isn't that interesting and the views are kinda meh. I chalked it up as a chance to stretch my legs after a long car ride.

Great little day hike up to a natural spring at the top. We did the loop counter clockwise which was a little steeper right before the springs but we'll worth it. Great picknic area to have lunch at the springs before you head back down

Great, I'm a chub and I was able to complete it.

Great low maintenance hike with great views. Go in the morning or late afternoon and look for the resident Mule Deer and Javelina in the meadows in between the trail loop.

Great hike! Not too hard, well worth the hike.

Monday, November 21, 2016

Nice short loop that you can make challenging because the first mile is uphill with plenty of rocks. The red and yellow foliage at the creek are beautiful! There's even a little waterfall! Fun trail indeed.

Monday, October 31, 2016

I would echo the other reviewers. Short and especially scenic at the springs. Also, the ranch house complex at the trailhead is worthwhile.

Sunday, November 22, 2015

A great short trail to a beautiful little hidden area with trees and a spring. Great birding around the Frijoles Ranch starting point as well. This is a good spot for lovely fall colors as well.

Sunday, July 12, 2015

Very easy walk to a nice cool spring/pond.

Tuesday, July 08, 2014

The spring lies at the halfway point in the loop. It's hard not to see the large patch of green nestled in the mountains while hiking towards it. The spring area really does feel like an oasis in the desert and worth the hike. The Frijole ranch at the trailhead is accessible with a museum in the main house and picnic tables in the yard. A great place for a family outing.

Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Awesome short hike. The trail brings you into a beautiful shaded oasis in the desert. The smell of freshly fallen, damp leaves and the sound of streaming water greet you after a short mile or so. I could have sat their all day. I had to turn back as the northern part of the trail that leads to Manzanita spring is washed out. This is a quick fun hike.

Monday, July 29, 2013

Excellent trail to hike! Relatively short and easy, and it is a loop vs. out and back. Great views into the low land, nipple hill is prominent throughout. Great small creek bed canyon to hike next to and into. We saw mule deer hiding in it. The best part is the Smith Spring near the mountain base. There are the biggest Texas Madrone trees there I've ever seen! Lots of lush green grass, moss, trees with gnarly roots. All shaded, cool, birds chirping. A desert oasis. Felt more like east Texas or hill country. Bathrooms near trailhead at frijole ranch house.

Monday, March 25, 2013

I was amazed that I was out in desert terrain, and at the spring, it felt like you were in a lush forest: a running stream, large pine trees, and birds chirping all around. What a place!