Smith Spring Trail

Smith Spring Trail is a 2.4 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Salt Flat, Texas that features a river and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

Distance: 2.4 miles Elevation Gain: 387 feet Route Type: Loop

Hike to an oasis in the desert.

This is an easy, family friendly hike. The trail is fairly rough for a small portion of the hike, mainly during your small climb up and down from the spring.The main point of the trail is the spring, halfway through the loop. It's a rare water source, with impressive foliage, very impressive, especially when you consider you are in the desert.

We were just passing through so this trail was perfect. Pretty views and some interesting history. Went the week of Thanksgiving and it was so windy. I had to stop at certain points because I felt like I was going to blow over. Haha

Great loop. was windy New Year's Day. Saw hardly anyone else.

Enjoyed this trail a lot! Not too long and the spring is so super beautiful and clear. Great views of the mountains and plains as well without too much elevation increase.

Beautiful fall colors, red, orange and yellow maples. It could not have been more enjoyable!!!

I'd rate this as easy-moderate, due to the irregular footing and stepping over and around pretty big rocks in the trail. We followed the trail guide, giving descriptions of sites going counter clockwise, so that's the direction we followed. Once you reach the "oasis", it's magical! Cool, with refreshing air, and still gorgeous red and yellow maple leaves on Nov. 3.

Easy loop trail that has a beautiful shaded grotto with a spring and a flagstone bench about midway through. Saw three deer and a a bunch if javelinas. Peaceful hike, we’ll definitely do this trail again.

We traveled from the RGV parking lot along the foothills trail to smith springs. Very flat, yet enjoyable to be on flat trail versus two days of Rocky trails. Manzanilla spring was a bit dinky but amazed at people having settled out there. The hike to the smith spring was a bit more challenging than advertised. It could have been the previous hike in the morning. Regardless, smith spring was worth the hike, quite an oasis in the rugged terrain. Take your time and eat a meal while your there, very shaded and cool.

We went counterclockwise after reading prior reviews. It was a really beautiful hike. We had a small child so it took awhile. But the spring is a beautiful place to rest and have a snack.

Very nice trail with great views. The creek area with large trees was awesome!

romantic

This was our first trail as a family of 6 with the youngest being 6 years, the spring at the mid point was beautiful and an excellent place to cool off and eat our snacks, will definitely be going back to this trail and others in the future!!great trail!

Beautiful trail! Easy at first, then more moderate. Overall, a day hike worth taking.

hike was great but very rocky

Nice hike ending with a spring

Depending what you want, this might be the hike for you. I enjoyed the climbs in the park more. This is a pretty flat trail with little trees. I will say that the springs are an oasis along this desert trail. I would be really cool to get to the Springs on a hot summer day.

Thu Jan 03 2019

I did this trail counterclockwise. It was paved and then a bit rocky on the assent. If you’re not used to the elevation, the assent might make you breath heavier than expected for the elevation gain. Overall, very nice.

Thu Nov 08 2018

Very easy worthwhile hike. Beautiful spring at the end - surrounded by October colors. Go counterclockwise - better for knees on way back. Good warm up for the peak the next day.

Sun Oct 14 2018

Great little hike with my younger son. Labor Day weekend 2018

Sat Aug 11 2018

Nice simple trail, not very scenic or adventurous for us, have our 6 and 8 year old that wanted more challenging trials. Again This trail is nice but nothing compared to the rest. Definitely would rate as EASY not Moderate.

Thu Jun 28 2018

This trail is perfect for those who want a more leisurely hike. It starts off with wide open spaces and an incredible view where you can “see forever.” We prefer to take the trail up the foothills to the left since it’s less of a strenuous climb. All the way up you will wonder at the variety of desert trees and plants. We traversed through at least 13 creeks. The surprise awaits in the grove of trees that are nestled against the mountain. In it you’ll find a stunning spring with small waterfalls, pools and bridges. The source of the spring is right there under a large boulder. It is especially beautiful in the fall when the trees turn orange, yellow, red, pink and purple. It’s like an enchanted forest! It’s one of my favorite trails!

Tue Jun 12 2018

This is my favorite place in Texas! Best hike with an actual oasis!

Sat Dec 23 2017

Very nice trail with many wildflowers in season and good views of the mountains.

Sun Nov 19 2017

Trail starts by Frijole Ranch buildings. Nice views of the surrounding flatter areas. Trail covered in loose rock. I met a couple of Javelina on the trail. I went mid November, but would not have enjoyed this in warm weather as the trail is mostly non shaded.

Tue Nov 07 2017

Shorter hike with year round pond and stream another gem of the Guadalupes

Mon Oct 30 2017

good hike for senior citizens. seems to longer than 2.5 miles. enjoyable in cool weather.

Thu Oct 12 2017

Paired with Devils hall. Loved the spring.