Slaughter Creek Trail Loop

Slaughter Creek Trail Loop is a 4.9 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Austin, Texas that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Horses are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 4.9 miles Elevation Gain: 209 feet Route Type: Loop

For more information: https://circlecranch.com/amenities/trails-parks/

We love this trail and have hiked it 5 times in about a one year stretch. Used it today and unfortunately almost fell a few times due to a lot of bike traffic. I am 66 and have several knee replacements which work very well. My legs became wobbly during the last half and began to have more problems handling the bike traffic. Maybe Saturday is not the best day to use this trail for old folks like me.

This place is ok. Would not come back again. I only did 2.1 miles even though this place is over 4 miles hike.

I enjoyed this hike. Saw deer along the way, learned from the info signs, and captured pretty sunset pictures. I stepped off the path several times for the bikers, it's a good idea to have hikers go one way and bikers the other as I had warning/time in most cases.

Great for hiking, but NOT an “easy” mountain bike trail. ESP for littles around 10 yrs. Lots of rocky stretches and quite a few 1-3ft drop offs. My guys made it thru with the exception of a couple of jumps, but they are advanced bike riders. I, on the other hand, fell and had to walk my bike most of the way.

This is a change of pace for the area, because you get rocks, some elevation, and some windy paths.

Relatively flat and rocky. Not much shade. A nice little bit of nature on the edge of Austin. Lots of mountain bikers today taking advantage of the sunny weekend day in the mid 60s.

typical Texas trail. hot, cedar trees, dusty. all in all not a bad loop. pretty easy to knock out and suitable for all ages.

Easy to miss driveway to trailhead. It is Immediately- and I mean IMMEDIATELY- after/before the small, flat bridge. Trail was good. Shade, single track, dirt, and lots of grass and flowers mostly towards east end of trail. West end is mostly wider trails with some rock steps and bumps, and lost of open land. Very well marked, the signs are very good. Saw about five mt bikers, and only two others on foot. Be prepared to work up a swear from lack of shade. Plenty of good views of the lay-of-the-land, and wild flowers. I gave it four instead of five stars, because there’re no water crossings. Those are fun, but mother nature decided not here.

Narrow trail through tall grass had me nervous for rattlesnakes through most of our hike. Add the mountain bikers regularly coming through and it was not relaxing at all.

Nice trail. Mountain biking is pretty technical in some places. Not too crowded.

nice trail but be aware too share this with many bikers

Nice easy trail, good mix of shade and sunlight. I love that the tail connects in the middle so I can cut it short or keep going. definitely coming back again!

Thu Jan 31 2019

I checked out this trail for the first time today and I must say, I was impressed! There’s not much elevation gain, but there are many good views and the trail is loaded with educational signage. No dogs are allowed on the trail, so I was able to see several deer and an abundance of tracks from what I assume were deer, raccoons, coyotes and bobcats. The first mile or two of trail (heading counter clockwise) was exposed while most of the last half was shaded. I’ll definitely be back!

Mon Dec 17 2018

I've been getting back to hitting the trails in the last year as a hiker but as a young man I was a mountain biker. so been slowly hitting the area trails, gotta say I loved biking this Park the most so far. it has it all. high hills, low creek crossings, thight zig zag paths thru the heavy woods, wide open Savannah trails and everything in between. definitely will be exploring more in the upcoming year. but it's a bit long so make sure you do in cool weather.

Tue Jun 19 2018

I run this trail frequently. Fairly easy terrain. Not much shade in the summer. Porta-potties at trailhead. Also note: no dogs allowed on or off leash.

Sat Mar 17 2018

Open, well-marked, right in Austin.

Sun Nov 19 2017

This is a great trail to ride your trail bike, but beware of dogs off leash. One ran in front of my bike last year and I crashed and broke my arm in the fall. Other than that, I highly recommend this one for bike riding.

Sun Oct 15 2017

A go to trail. Runners and walkers: be careful. The trail is tight in sections and high speed mountain bikes and horses frequent this trail. Be careful!

Mon Jul 31 2017

unimproved stone trail, watch for bikers and trail runners. wear boots, rough in spots. busy trail later you get

Sat Jul 29 2017

Not a bad hike for just outside Austin downtown. Only did the 3.5 portion and cut at the bypass because I was running in 104 degrees. Not difficult but not a lot of shade so avoid during high sun in summer if you can.

Sun Jul 09 2017

Fri Jun 16 2017

Dogs are not allowed on this trail even if they're on leashes.

Wed Apr 26 2017

Good fast entry level trail. The trails are frequently closed during and after significant rain to prevent damage to the trail system. No pets allowed.