Slaughter Creek Trail Loop

Slaughter Creek Trail Loop is a 4.9 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Austin, Texas that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Horses are also able to use this trail.

From Austin, go to the Y in Oak Hill. Continue west on Hwy 290 and turn left onto Camp Ben McCullough Rd./FM1826 (third traffic light after the Y). Drive approximately 2 miles, cross the low water bridge over Slaughter Creek and the property/gate entrance will be on your left.

Open, well-marked, right in Austin.

This is a great trail to ride your trail bike, but beware of dogs off leash. One ran in front of my bike last year and I crashed and broke my arm in the fall. Other than that, I highly recommend this one for bike riding.

A go to trail. Runners and walkers: be careful. The trail is tight in sections and high speed mountain bikes and horses frequent this trail. Be careful!

unimproved stone trail, watch for bikers and trail runners. wear boots, rough in spots. busy trail later you get

Not a bad hike for just outside Austin downtown. Only did the 3.5 portion and cut at the bypass because I was running in 104 degrees. Not difficult but not a lot of shade so avoid during high sun in summer if you can.

Dogs are not allowed on this trail even if they're on leashes.

Good fast entry level trail. The trails are frequently closed during and after significant rain to prevent damage to the trail system. No pets allowed.

This is a beautiful trail. I'll definitely come back out here.
There's very little parking which is irritating but it helps to keep the number of people on the trail low.

Saturday, March 11, 2017

Can't give a review because road was closed until further notice on 3/9/15.

Sunday, November 13, 2016

good mix of technical and fast track. I prefer more elevation change and some sections washing out. Still an all around fun ride.

Saturday, October 29, 2016

It's been maybe two years since I hiked this loop. I remember that it was full sun and that no dogs were allowed although I do believe that equestrians are allowed.

Saturday, April 09, 2016

While there are a few rocky patches spread out along the trail that can prove troublesome if one isn't careful, the majority of the trail serves as a smooth and winding tour of a small section of Texas hill country.

Sunday, March 27, 2016

Easy loop. Lovely Sunday afternoon run/hike. A bit rocky in parts, overall very mellow.

Friday, March 04, 2016

It was great

Sunday, February 14, 2016

Well maintained. Not overcrowded. Not much wildlife or any views.

Thursday, February 11, 2016

Rocky trail--wear proper boots. My favorite because it is close to my home and not crowded! Some hikers and bikers go the wrong way though (the signs are small). THANKS to bikers who really YIELD to hikers. However, about 1/3 of the bikers I meet don't blink and eye and expect me to yield to them!
Bikers YIELD to HIKERS !!!!!

Wednesday, February 10, 2016

Not a beginner bike trail. This is more of a beginner/intermediate bike trail. There were more rocks and ledges than expected. I would not bring kids here with there bikes either. I am rehabbing my knee with biking and the rocks were too much for me at this time. Not a lot of people out which is nice. Bikers are to ride clockwise and horses and hikers are to walk counter clockwise.

Tuesday, January 26, 2016

No pets. Not even on a leash. Drove out there saw the no pet sign and got right back in the car with my dog and drove to a different trail.

Monday, September 21, 2015

biggest downside, but completely fixable for a next time: I was ill prepared for the incredible rockiness and wasn't in good trail shoes.
Positives: it's a low use trail, so it's quiet & not crowded. The trail itself is good and there are few places in South Austin to find a 5 mile loop to trail run.
Negatives: it's a bit dry & dusty - not the type of landscape ypu find in one of the many Austin greenbelt trails.

Saturday, August 22, 2015

I really enjoyed this trail. Not many places in Austin that you can go on a Saturday, and not be super crowded. The trail was nice, and there are 2 geocaches in the area.

Tuesday, May 19, 2015

Quiet. Peaceful. Really enjoyed this one.

Friday, December 26, 2014

The easiest way to get to the trailhead is to go to the south end of Mopac, then right on 45. At T intersection with 1826 take a right, go 1.8 miles and turn right into driveway just before creek.

Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Dropped Pin

near Circle C Ranch Metropolitan Park on Slaughter Creek
6301 W Slaughter Ln
Austin, TX 78739

Friday, August 29, 2014

Read the reviews. We can't find this trailhead. We drove around for an hour. Can somebody post clear directions or a map with a pun drop to the trailhead? Mucho appreciated.

Tuesday, July 01, 2014

nice quiet trail. saw lots of roadrunners and rabbits. very peacefull ride. that being said, it is a very simple trail. nothing real technical or challenging. but if you want an easy recovery ride or a place to let the kiddos or new riders wet their feet this is it.

Thursday, March 20, 2014

Pretty nice very quiet trail set out in the countryside actual address is 9901 FM 1826, Austin, TX 78739, United States.

Sunday, March 16, 2014

Pretty cool trail. We came across many roadrunners along the way, which excited my daughter. Would do this again.

Monday, July 15, 2013

Nice single track, very little shifting and no braking needed, you can go fast or just cruise it. Watch out for piles of horse poop.

Thursday, February 07, 2013

I rated this a 5 star as my entire family can easily ride this. I have a 6 and 9 year old and they only had to walk their bikes a few times. The kids also enjoyed seeing the groups riding horses. The trail is great for building the kid's confidence in tackling some of the slightly challenging areas. We have rode it twice, both on the weekends and neither time were there a lot of people. The park has done a good job in posting signs throughout the trail about the history of the area. Great place to have some fun family time.