Schaeffer Shuffle Trail [CLOSED]

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(100)
Franklin Mountains State Park

Schaeffer Shuffle Trail is a 4.2 kilometer moderately trafficked loop trail located near El Paso, Texas that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 4.2 km Elevation Gain: 213 m Route Type: Loop

closed

This trail is experiencing full or partial closure due to COVID-19. Please see the open trails nearby for alternate hiking options. Easy hike through desert canyons and washes. Start downhill from the trailhead. Several plants are marked with signs, and benches are provided to rest on at several points on the hike. Proceed 0.43 mi downhill to the junction marked with a sign. Take the trail left. Follow the trail into the canyon, up over the hilltop, and back down and around into the main valley. When you rejoin the main trail at 1.90 mi, follow it southeast and up-hill, past the previous junction, and back up to the starting point.

Fun trail. Very rocky. Would definitely recommend hiking boots.

fee

I loved this trail! Many different sights and perspectives. Plenty of wildflowers to enjoy. We turned right at the loop. Most of the trail is pretty smooth but the middle high points may be difficult for small dogs. It took us less than 2 hours to complete walking at a moderately high speed with only a few brief stops. On the way back take notice of the small sign post on the left with an arrow showing you how to stay on the loop. We missed it at first and kept walking straight which took us out of the loop until we realized and turned back.

Great trail for taking your dogs on! Helps them with their ability to look for and follow trails. I had all three of mines on a leash at all times, so it was fairly easy. Will do again!

This is a pretty simple trail. It's well-marked and easy to follow (not always the case in the Franklin Mountains). There isn't as much elevation gain as you'll get at Mundy's Gap or North Franklin Mountain, but it's a pretty hike. The trail is rocky, so I would suggest boots or hiking shoes instead of running shoes. There was almost no one else on the trail, which makes it a little more enjoyable.

fee

Mi GPS marco 5 KM. Muy buena ruta, un poco pesada en las subidas. Mis hijos dicen que les pareció muy pesada en las subidas. Mi esposa se torcio un pie en la bajada de una cuesta. A mi me gusto. Te encuentras con algo de gente en la ruta. La volvería a caminar!

It was a quick fun hike, had some challenging spots but the scenery was amazing. I would definitely go again.

A short, yet challenging trail; it took me around 1.5 hours to complete. I recommend hiking this trail clockwise for those who want a good workout. If you choose to go counterclockwise, the elevation gain is more gradual, however, coming down the other side is harder on the joints than the clockwise route.

Fun trail. Good workout while hiking. I followed the west trail and looped around. Bring water and wear a hat. Bugs are out too but you get used to them.

Nice trail! This time I did it with some of my friends, although it was the first week of July the weather was pleasant, not too hot. We enjoyed a lot.

Tue May 28 2019

Tough trail for beginners.

Sat Mar 30 2019

Nice views and easy to follow BUT steep declines with lots of loose rock. Definitely take a walking stick and hat.

Sun Mar 17 2019

My family and I hiked it today. Took an hour at our pace. Not too many people. This is the main access to the longer biking trails so be alert for bikers on the descent. Fun hike for us. Ascent leaves your blood pumping at the end. Good time for us.

Thu Mar 14 2019

Short trail. Not my favorite in the park.

Sun Mar 03 2019

Not too difficult, path well indicated, nothing special to see, not much trafics. Toilet available at trailhead.

Mon Feb 18 2019

We weren’t sure if we were going the right way. Watch out for cacti and ocotillo- but it was fun and enjoyable!

Well marked trail with some elevation. Went with my daughter, 12 year old granddaughter, and her dog. They completed the trail with no problem. Make sure you take some water - no brainer, but be safe - even on short trails.