Schaeffer Shuffle Trail

Schaeffer Shuffle Trail is a 2.6 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near El Paso, Texas that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Easy hike through desert canyons and washes. Start downhill from the trailhead. Several plants are marked with signs, and benches are provided to rest on at several points on the hike. Proceed 0.43 mi downhill to the junction marked with a sign. Take the trail left. Follow the trail into the canyon, up over the hilltop, and back down and around into the main valley. When you rejoin the main trail at 1.90 mi, follow it southeast and up-hill, past the previous junction, and back up to the starting point.

The trail seemed longer than it was. The 8 and 10 yr old struggled in places and we had to take lots of breaks. The way back up to the camp site/restrooms was the hardest after the trail. 8 yr old was mad and crying! Saw no one on the trail. The view was nice but most of the cacti have died along the way.

Went right, counter counter clockwise through the loop and missed the trail going north and had some fun working my way through the little valley to the right of the trail, which involved a little light rock climbing, and getting around some thorny bush and cactus. Went off trail again heading back, luckily I had my phone to get me back on course.

Holy cow! This was harder than I thought but the view was nice

A pleasant surprise, especially when the late summer rain brings all the wildflowers into bloom!

Had some difficulty finding the trail head (it's behind the restrooms), and we wandered off course once or twice, but overall a great hike. Used the app to stay on course after the first detour. No shade and several steep slopes to climb.

Great example of local terrain. On a cool, overcast day this is a perfect hike. I didn't run into anyone, and the elevation change, while relatively small, gives a nice little kick. End of the loop isn't great, as the trail gets a bit obscured.

Nice trail, not very long, not very steep, specially to hike with the family. This time I did it with Natalia, my granddaughter. Although it was a windy winter day, and that at the top of the mountain the wind was stronger, it was not impediment to enjoy the walk. We only had to take care when we walked down by the zig-zag trail, rocky in some parts. Back to the point where we started, we rested a little sitting on the benches that are on the dirt road, and enjoyed the beautiful views of the Franklin Mountains.

Saturday, October 29, 2016

Moderate hiking trails with some nice views of the mountains.

Thursday, June 16, 2016

We have done this trail several times. This time in August 2015 instead to complete the loop, we took the Shortcut #2 and the Lower Sunset Trail, we hiked about 6 miles. Schaeffer Shuffle is a short trail that goes up around a small mountain and you hike near the canyon. It is easy, when you go down, you just have to walk with care, but not difficult. We did not see people hiking this trail, that help us to enjoy the quiet environment. The views of the canyon and the Franklin Mountains are beautiful, we enjoyed a lot. If you want to to do a short trail with the family Schaeffer Shuffle loop is a very good option, but not in the summer time.

Monday, March 14, 2016

I think this is a great hike. Short enough that you can do it in under 2 hours, but you still feel like you get into the mountains. I like variety of terrain.

Wednesday, March 11, 2015

Today was 2nd time attempt for this trail since we got lost and hiked 11 miles last Saturday. I was determined to find out where we missed the marker. We founf marker 43 and went through trail but at the dry riverbed we couldn't decided which direction to go. so we back tracked and decided to go to counter clockwise. Same problem when we reached the dry riverbed, we couldn't figure out which way to go. Very disappointed. I wish there is better mark for trail to follow.

Friday, June 27, 2014

This is a pretty decent hike but overall it isn't as nice as many of the other trails in the park. I was also the only hiker out in the late morning, it seemed the majority of visitors take to Mundy's Gap and the Cottonwoods that go to the east side of the park. If you want a quiet and peaceful hike this is certainly the ticket.

Saturday, August 08, 2015