San Marcos River, Mesquite Flats, and Ottine Swamp Trails

San Marcos River, Mesquite Flats, and Ottine Swamp Trails is a 3 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Gonzales, Texas that features a lake and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Short, easy, well cleared trail with educational postings about the nature and history of Palmetto State Park. Great for young kids and scouts! The dwarf palmettos transform the land to a prehistoric jungle in the middle of Texas. Take a short tour of the best that Palmetto State Park has to offer, and learn about the indigenous wildlife and history of the local area. Educational postings are located throughout. A historic water tower/pump built by the CCC is a feature of the trail, with information on the workings and engineering of the water tower. Quick access to both the Ottine Swamp Trail and the Mesquite Flats trail by the Palmetto Interpretive Trail.

Very well maintained trail system with 3 main trails that one could do separately as well as in this loop. Spurs and connectors also have interesting features, some of which, we added to our loop. While very easy, it is also very pleasant and interesting as one goes through different eco systems all in one small area. Quite and peaceful as well.

The most difficult of the trails at Palmetto State Park. That being said, it was quite easy. A bit uphill at times, which I didn't find with the others. This is the most scenic of the trails.

It was great! My 5 year old had fun too! I would recommend it to older individuals as well. Good luck! Have fun

I went on March 23, 2016. I posted some images of some areas near the trial, and also the San Marcos River. It was a really nice small trail. I definitely recommend going in the spring time.

Small but beautiful park. We rode MTB; took our nephew with us. The trail is easy for all family and kids. The trails are in great shape. We did the loop, the San Marcos trail was closed due to recent flood activity a couple months back. The bike was fun but walking the trails would be nice as well. We saw an off the leash dog chase a deer. I am not sure if the dog made it back to the owners, I hope the dog did not kill it.

The park trails are in excellent condition and it is mostly shaded

Pretty cool park

I enjoyed this park. Lots to see and very interesting how it changes from area to area.

Nice easy trail, beautiful!

Easy loop hikes. Swamp trail much more scenic than the lake trail.

Easy trail, nice stroll, great for walking your dog or family outing.

Nice, easy trails. Hiked them all, about 5 miles total. Well maintained and marked. Beautiful scenery, saw several deer on the swamp trail.

Nice Easy Trail