Memorial Day Sale! Get a year of AllTrails Pro for only $14.99
Get Started

San Gabriel River from Blue Hole

easyYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray Star(100)
Georgetown, Texas

San Gabriel River from Blue Hole is a 10.4 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Georgetown, Texas that features a river and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for walking, trail running, and road biking and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 10.4 miles Elevation Gain: 380 feet Route Type: Out & Back

partially paved

city walk

This route is a combination of the Winfred H. Bonner Trail and the Randy Morrow Trail. Blue Hole, 50 foot cliffs, easy hike-bike, two river crossings, 3 bridges This is an easy, hike in a suburban setting suitable for bikes and strollers. This portion is mostly cement. It has 2 bridges crossing the river. The first one actually crosses just below where the North San Gabriel joins the South San Gabriel. The second crosses the North San Gabriel near the end of the hike.

It's more of a "city park" kind of trail. I gave it 4 stars because it was a nice walk. It's a steady trek--you follow a paved sidewalk. (Please note: we only did half of the recommended distance before turning back. So, it might have gotten "nicer" up ahead.)

I love this hike. We ventured off and took the dirt trails and I would def consider this a mod to difficult hike. Lots of climbing and rocks. We went to the end and came back the same way which came out to be about 1.5 miles. Took almost an hour but we stopped and took pictures along the way.

Water really low, won’t return till after good rain

I wrote a LONG review but it posted twice and when I deleted one, they both disappeared. I’ll hit the highlights: there is partial shade and partial pavement. My husband and I biked from Blue Hole to Lake Georgetown and back, but we turned back early because the signage dwindled down to nothing and we didn’t know which route to take to finish the trail marked on the app/trail map. We encountered 100 or so people, many with dogs, and some had headphones on and were not alert. We found the shrubs to be overgrown, causing several blind corners. Overall an easy ride if you are in shape. Moderate hills make it hard for beginners. We will definitely take the trail again. The trail is washed out bad between the residential area and Lake Georgetown, so it needs to be walked in 2-3 small spots. Overall an excellent work out - we did it in 70 minutes - but you’ll need to stop for lunch afterwards.

Thu May 16 2019

Wed Apr 24 2019

Good for walking, or taking Hank to the water. Best for short walks < 1 mile.

Tue Mar 19 2019

Beautiful Trail

Tue Nov 20 2018

This cemented trail ends abruptly in a residential neighborhood..... please fix the map to indicate this!

Thu Jul 12 2018

Neat place to see. Didn’t get to hike too far on the trail due to excessive poison ivy. Will go back in the winter.

Wed Jul 04 2018

Good trail running. Plenty of shade.

Mon May 07 2018

Great trail for running, walking or biking. We were looking for road biking. There are paved parts of this trail & gravel sections...one gravel section that needed to be walked with a road bike. Overall, it was a beautiful ride with nice shaded bits.

Mon May 07 2018

This is a very nice trail, even had water for some parched walkers.

Tue Jan 30 2018

This is a good trail to run for trail runners, when you want a break from sharp rocks, long switchbacks, tree limbs to the face, steep hills, etc. Run next to the concrete parts of the trail (on the grass) when possible to still get the "trail" under your feet. The two times I've run this trail I've seen relatively few people, mostly hikers and moms with strollers, and I don't think I've seen any dogs- except for the loop in the San Gabriel park, there are almost always a good variety of people on that trail. The scenery is nice, mostly trees and bushes and some rocks, scrub and oak-forest looking- but when you get past the section along the road the scenery is especially pleasant for about a mile. From Booty's Road Park, you can easily get to Lake Georgetown.

Thu Oct 26 2017

This is a nice trail. Very easy trail. The scenery is pleasant with waterfalls, rivers, streams, tree coverage. I saw lots of squirrels and a Praying Manis. If I were to get to do this trail again, I would follow the Frisbee Golf Course trail to change it up and get off the cement.

Sat Jul 01 2017

Great view during the trail, good to swim at the ending!

Sat Apr 08 2017

Amazing it's so cool check it out

Tue Mar 14 2017

Smooth trail, well marked, nicely maintained. Would make a great place to run. We were there early on a Monday morning and encountered only a few other people, though it was spring break. During periods of high water, some of the river crossings do become impassable and one was closed while we were there.

Sun Oct 02 2016

Loved it. Ran from parking at damn down huge in line to spill way. 5 miles each way. Mostly paved. Some dirt. Easy to follow except a bit in middle through a neighborhood. Saw deer. Prettiest near dam on western end.

Sun Aug 07 2016

Easy path. Majority paved. Started at San Gabriel park and did the Randy Morrow trail almost to Lake Georgetown. Has maps and parks along the way. Definitely in the city but saw lots of wildlife including deer.

Fri May 06 2016

Beautiful wide paved trail through tree covered walkways. Honeysuckle filling the air, wild flowers abound, very well maintained park, peaceful, not too crowded

Sun Jan 03 2016

Great trail for whole family.

Mon Sep 07 2015

Tried to head west on the trail from the Blue Hole trailhead, but a giant Cottonmouth caused us to change our plans. We headed East toward the Winfred Bonner Trail. It was okay. Mostly sidewalk next to a busy road. A few peeks of the river along the trail. The trail to San Gabriel Park was closed because the bridge was wiped out by the Memorial Day flood.

Mon Aug 20 2012

I've run this trail a handful of times with a double jogging stroller and it is a great workout with great scenery. The kids love the animal tracks that cross the trail, and the cliffs are beautiful. If you don't mind going "off road", it's actually 5 miles of trail and path.