Ron Coleman Trail

Ron Coleman Trail is a 6.6 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near El Paso, Texas that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

rock climbing

cave

Follow the trail up the canyon. At 0.45 miles, the main trail keeps right. DO NOT follow the wash up. At 0.5 miles the trail will zig-zag up the hillside covered in red rhyolite rock to the ridgeline. On the ridgeline at 0.80 miles, turn left and follow the trail up to the Elephant's Trunk at N31.86502 - W106.49520. There are a few small caves at the trunk. There are several possible trails up and down, so pick your route as you like.

A beautiful hike, with tremendous views and really fun in the technical section (I would skip using the chains and simply climb up using the natural hand-holds). I've done it in both directions and prefer starting in McKelligon Canyon and ending at Trans-mountain road (the decent into the wash at Trans is a bit loose at the top but manageable). 2.5hrs start to finish, at an easy pace, but bring water as it can get hot!

Btw, we did manage to do it with one car, by having an Uber pick us up and bring us back to the start...

Fantastic and challenging route with amazing views.

Great time with the family, it was intense to get to the top. Overall great experience

Great hike bring water n snacks
Took my 1 yr old pup on her first hike here, she did well. We did stop and rested on the way.

Great challenging hike !!

Believe the "hard" review on this one. It's true. I can usually fly through a rated hard hike fairly easily, but this one gave me a run for my money! It is a STEEP climb with a lot of climbing on all fours. The views of the canyon and both sides of el paso are amazing, however. If you're in the right shape, I highly recommend it.
The chains look intimidating, but they're easy as long as ya stay close to the wall and go slow.

I can usually hike the “hard” trails no problem, but the Ron Coleman trail is certainly challenging! After hiking this it is now one of my favorite trails and I’m certainly coming back for more. Bring plenty of water and sturdy shoes. Also be mindful that there are small vertical “cliffs” that you need to ascend but the park provides chains to help you up. Keep your eye out for the big green collared lizards that live near the trail also! Fantastic trail.

City living !!

Awesome trail y’all!
I recommend anyone who tries this trail to please keep the following into account.

1. Have respect for nature ! ( emphasis on respect)
2. Be very aware of your surroundings and know your limits. Be smart & turn back if you can’t keep going.
3. Trail rated as hard, it is.
4. Be prepared with enough water and smart snacks to keep you going.
5.) keep an eye out for blue dots that pave the way, you can also use the AllTrails map, you will need it.

You’ll be hiking up hill a lot and eventually be reaching the peak of the mountain, the hike then switches between hiking along that and the side of the mountain.It’s important you follow the blue dots so that you can locate the trail you can get into danger if you don’t stay aware.

Have fun and may the mountain gods be with you. This hike definitely offers great views which aren’t meant for the faint of heart or those who are afraid of heights.
Be safe and have fun!
Love and peace !

You definitely need to hike this in a group of 2 or more people. There are some difficult spots on this trail. I wouldn't take this trail if you aren't semi experienced. There are a couple spots that you may need to climb. I hiked this trail with 3 other guys back in 2006. We started at Mckelligon Canyon and made it to Transmountain. Recommend planning around the weather.

best trail ever!

The best way to approach this trail is from Mckellington Canyon to Smuggler’s Pass. Park two cars, one at smuggler’s and start at Mckellington. From the Mckellington Canyon side, you’ll see that the trails is marked with blue dots on rocks and you’ll go up all the chain sections which is safer. Once you’re pass the Window, just take the trail towards the South Franklin Mountain (the peak with all the satellite towers). You’ll skirt around the peak of South Franklin Mountain and cross the saddle. If you want to summit South Franklin peak, this is a good point because it is only 0.2 miles to the summit. Looks for blue dots going down towards trans mountain road.

The confusion with many of the reviews is from those approaching the Ron Coleman from smuggler’s Pass. There are many trails headed toward Elephant’s Trunk and Elephant’s Rock. Don’t take those. If you are approach from smuggler’s Pass, take the trail that goes up a wash between South Franklin and elephant trunk. But I suggest approaching this trail from the route I mentioned above.

Happy Trails

A hard hike is an understatement. We started from Trans Mountain and went up to the “Elephant” and then skirted the the top rim to come down. There is no definitive trail to go up or down so we just sort of made our own. Very loose rock and dirt and I was so glad when we got to the top. Beautiful views once at the top bit today was extremely windy. Didn’t make it to the chain section as we were not sure which direction to go so maybe for another day.

Great trail, can be difficult at times to find the path.

Tough!

Not for people with knee problems.

awesome hike, definitely recommend this.

Is too easy

Is too easy

My first time doing Hiking! I finish it all, the view is amazing!

Great hike! Be sure to stay on the trail for a hard but much easier than veering off the path time. Adults and young children can handle sticking on the blue trail if time is taken for proper footing. Nice views at the top and the mirror isn’t far from the first major top.

Great hike, definitely hard. This is our first time in this trail and we went up to Mounmoth following the trail. We saw varios groups going up through the middle. We came back down the middle and I will not recommend going up that way since the rocks are way too loose. Plus the view using the trail is breathtaking.
Hiking boots and water is a must. Some areas don’t seem bad, but some areas you are literally crawling/climbing up.
Great hike with awesome views. Next time we will do the whole trail to McKelligon Canyon.

Amazing views!

Hiked to mammoth. Not a hard hike at all. Ran into some guys from Team RWB. They were very cool and invited me to join them.

My favorite trail in the Franklins. The chain portion is significant factor, I'd not recommend taking beginners or dogs unless you have a quality climb harness for them. Its an absolutely beautiful hike, the natural features and the views of town are breathe taking.

Difficult but fun. The view at the trunk is amazing.

Great strenuous hike. Bring lots of water and some decent hiking gear helps.

Did the trail from Transmountain Road to end at McKelligon Canyon. About a four-hour hike at a steady pace. The GPS loses your location a little after the Mammoth. Definitely rest at the radio towers and enjoy the scenery. I'd recommend trekking poles, water, and food. one of the most beautiful trails in EP. Way too much fun! Follow the blue dots!

Great trail! Easy and fun!

This is a very beautiful but challenging hike. Have only hike sections of it.