Ron Coleman Trail

Ron Coleman Trail is a 7 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near El Paso, Texas that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

rock climbing

cave

Hike through Upper Fusselman Canyon to a scenic overlook. Follow the trail up the canyon. At 0.45 miles, the main trail keeps right. DO NOT follow the wash up. At 0.5 miles the trail will zig-zag up the hillside covered in red rhyolite rock to the ridgeline. On the ridgeline at 0.80 miles, turn left and follow the trail up to the Elephant's Trunk at N31.86502 - W106.49520. There are a few small caves at the trunk. There are several possible trails up and down, so pick your route as you like.

A bit tiring, but well worth it. Beautiful views, plants of many kinds, insects galore, and not to mention the reptiles, i loved the several kinds of lizards i got to see.

I have walked just several sections of this trail, from the trailhead at Transmountain Road and from the trailhead at Mc Kelligon Canyon. This time, I decided to walk the entire out and back trail starting at the Mc Kelligon Canyon. In my opinion this is the best trail of the Franklin Mountains, although it is difficult in some sections because the steep, the loose stones and the climbing of rocks, you find the most beautiful views of the mountain, the canyon and also from the two sides of El Paso. It took me 6 hours and a half to walk the about 7 miles of the entire trail, but I was not in a hurry, so I took time to meet people, eat my snacks and stop several times to contemplate the amazing scenery. This is definitely the best view of the Franklin Mountains. It was also a great cloudy day with delicious fresh breeze, even though it was summer time, I enjoyed a lot. If you want to do this trail, do not bring your dog, wear a good pair of hiking boots and a walking stick, and you will enjoy a lot as I did.

I have had 2 knee surgeries in the last year and am still recovering from my last knee surgery and implant. I expected this trail to be much more challenging for me and didn't think I'd make it to a half mile in since I can't bend my knee at all and can't do stairs with my left leg. I was quite surprised that I made it a mile up before needing to stop and turn around because the trail got too steep and too rocky. This was a great trail, very quiet and pretty with lots of rock formation.

Definitely a difficult hike with a mix of climbing and hiking, especially from McKelligon Canyon. Beautiful views and a busy trail. The trail is a tricky one. Take a pack with you with water, snacks, first aid and plan for several hours depending on how far you go.

I completed this trail through two different hikes. Started on Transmountain and went to the South Franklin Peak and back, and went from McKelligon Canyon to the peak and back. I really loved the hike from the canyon. Great views and the rock climb up to The Window was a great addition to it. I'd say it's a pretty strenuous hike. But it's well worth it.

Hike is advertised as 4-6 hours one way. I managed to hike it in 2 hours, south to north, due to my Mountain Cougar like hiking abilities. Beauty views and the chain scramble was fun!

Best hike in El Paso. Dont take this trail lightly, be prepared with at least a day pack.