Ron Coleman Trail

Ron Coleman Trail is a 6.6 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near El Paso, Texas that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

rock climbing

cave

Follow the trail up the canyon. At 0.45 miles, the main trail keeps right. DO NOT follow the wash up. At 0.5 miles the trail will zig-zag up the hillside covered in red rhyolite rock to the ridgeline. On the ridgeline at 0.80 miles, turn left and follow the trail up to the Elephant's Trunk at N31.86502 - W106.49520. There are a few small caves at the trunk. There are several possible trails up and down, so pick your route as you like.

10 minutes ago

Great trail, can be difficult at times to find the path.

Tough!

Not for people with knee problems.

awesome hike, definitely recommend this.

Is too easy

Is too easy

My first time doing Hiking! I finish it all, the view is amazing!

Great hike! Be sure to stay on the trail for a hard but much easier than veering off the path time. Adults and young children can handle sticking on the blue trail if time is taken for proper footing. Nice views at the top and the mirror isn’t far from the first major top.

Great hike, definitely hard. This is our first time in this trail and we went up to Mounmoth following the trail. We saw varios groups going up through the middle. We came back down the middle and I will not recommend going up that way since the rocks are way too loose. Plus the view using the trail is breathtaking.
Hiking boots and water is a must. Some areas don’t seem bad, but some areas you are literally crawling/climbing up.
Great hike with awesome views. Next time we will do the whole trail to McKelligon Canyon.

Amazing views!

Hiked to mammoth. Not a hard hike at all. Ran into some guys from Team RWB. They were very cool and invited me to join them.

My favorite trail in the Franklins. The chain portion is significant factor, I'd not recommend taking beginners or dogs unless you have a quality climb harness for them. Its an absolutely beautiful hike, the natural features and the views of town are breathe taking.

Difficult but fun. The view at the trunk is amazing.

Great strenuous hike. Bring lots of water and some decent hiking gear helps.

Did the trail from Transmountain Road to end at McKelligon Canyon. About a four-hour hike at a steady pace. The GPS loses your location a little after the Mammoth. Definitely rest at the radio towers and enjoy the scenery. I'd recommend trekking poles, water, and food. one of the most beautiful trails in EP. Way too much fun! Follow the blue dots!

Great trail! Easy and fun!

This is a very beautiful but challenging hike. Have only hike sections of it.

Excellent one way hike ending at Trans- mountain. Took us just over 4 hours and included the spur to the actual summit.

easily identifiable trail all the way up...gets a little tricky coming down to mammoth. look for the blue dots and stay left on the last descent to mamoth.

Amazing trail before our Thanksgiving feast! It was a hard trail but completely worth it for the great views. The steep climb and rough rocks make this hike challenging. I forgot my gloves and didn’t pack enough water. Don’t make the same mistake!

Rangers need to go up and blaze the trail. Also picked up a lot of trash from the idiots who don't know how to pack out what they pack in!

It’s a pretty difficult trail but manageable with really pretty views and some free climbing

Ron Coleman Trail! Not for the faint of heart! Rugged and the trail is hard to spot so thank God for the Blue Dots painted along the way! For sure a very difficult trail with steep climbs and recents, rough rocks and the chains oh those chains! Make sure you go prepared with hiking sticks, boots, pants, gloves and water. Go well prepared for this very hard hike !

Extremely rugged trail. The views are beautiful, but not worth the risks inherent in the trail. There is a reason this trail has the most deaths, falls, and mountain rescues. It ought to be classified as very dangerous. It's steep, rigorous, poorly marked, and unforgiving of slips or missteps. Just say no and pick another trail.

we only went 1.5 mile in which is almost to the top before we turned around. I wish I would have had a walking stick. about 3/4 mile in someone marked the trail with blue spots. It would have been helpful on the start which was a lot of climbing and trying to figure out where the trail went. all in all it is a fantastic hike. looking forward to completing the whole 7 mile out and back.

One of the best hikes in fmsp

A bit tiring, but well worth it. Beautiful views, plants of many kinds, insects galore, and not to mention the reptiles, i loved the several kinds of lizards i got to see.

I have walked just several sections of this trail, from the trailhead at Transmountain Road and from the trailhead at Mc Kelligon Canyon. This time, I decided to walk the entire out and back trail starting at the Mc Kelligon Canyon. In my opinion this is the best trail of the Franklin Mountains, although it is difficult in some sections because the steep, the loose stones and the climbing of rocks, you find the most beautiful views of the mountain, the canyon and also from the two sides of El Paso. It took me 6 hours and a half to walk the about 7 miles of the entire trail, but I was not in a hurry, so I took time to meet people, eat my snacks and stop several times to contemplate the amazing scenery. This is definitely the best view of the Franklin Mountains. It was also a great cloudy day with delicious fresh breeze, even though it was summer time, I enjoyed a lot. If you want to do this trail, do not bring your dog, wear a good pair of hiking boots and a walking stick, and you will enjoy a lot as I did.

I have had 2 knee surgeries in the last year and am still recovering from my last knee surgery and implant. I expected this trail to be much more challenging for me and didn't think I'd make it to a half mile in since I can't bend my knee at all and can't do stairs with my left leg. I was quite surprised that I made it a mile up before needing to stop and turn around because the trail got too steep and too rocky. This was a great trail, very quiet and pretty with lots of rock formation.

Definitely a difficult hike with a mix of climbing and hiking, especially from McKelligon Canyon. Beautiful views and a busy trail. The trail is a tricky one. Take a pack with you with water, snacks, first aid and plan for several hours depending on how far you go.