Ron Coleman Trail

Ron Coleman Trail is a 7 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near El Paso, Texas that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

rock climbing

cave

Follow the trail up the canyon. At 0.45 miles, the main trail keeps right. DO NOT follow the wash up. At 0.5 miles the trail will zig-zag up the hillside covered in red rhyolite rock to the ridgeline. On the ridgeline at 0.80 miles, turn left and follow the trail up to the Elephant's Trunk at N31.86502 - W106.49520. There are a few small caves at the trunk. There are several possible trails up and down, so pick your route as you like.

Did the trail from Transmountain Road to end at McKelligon Canyon. About a four-hour hike at a steady pace. The GPS loses your location a little after the Mammoth. Definitely rest at the radio towers and enjoy the scenery. I'd recommend trekking poles, water, and food. one of the most beautiful trails in EP. Way too much fun! Follow the blue dots!

Great trail! Easy and fun!

This is a very beautiful but challenging hike. Have only hike sections of it.

Excellent one way hike ending at Trans- mountain. Took us just over 4 hours and included the spur to the actual summit.

easily identifiable trail all the way up...gets a little tricky coming down to mammoth. look for the blue dots and stay left on the last descent to mamoth.

Amazing trail before our Thanksgiving feast! It was a hard trail but completely worth it for the great views. The steep climb and rough rocks make this hike challenging. I forgot my gloves and didn’t pack enough water. Don’t make the same mistake!

Rangers need to go up and blaze the trail. Also picked up a lot of trash from the idiots who don't know how to pack out what they pack in!

It’s a pretty difficult trail but manageable with really pretty views and some free climbing

Ron Coleman Trail! Not for the faint of heart! Rugged and the trail is hard to spot so thank God for the Blue Dots painted along the way! For sure a very difficult trail with steep climbs and recents, rough rocks and the chains oh those chains! Make sure you go prepared with hiking sticks, boots, pants, gloves and water. Go well prepared for this very hard hike !

Extremely rugged trail. The views are beautiful, but not worth the risks inherent in the trail. There is a reason this trail has the most deaths, falls, and mountain rescues. It ought to be classified as very dangerous. It's steep, rigorous, poorly marked, and unforgiving of slips or missteps. Just say no and pick another trail.

we only went 1.5 mile in which is almost to the top before we turned around. I wish I would have had a walking stick. about 3/4 mile in someone marked the trail with blue spots. It would have been helpful on the start which was a lot of climbing and trying to figure out where the trail went. all in all it is a fantastic hike. looking forward to completing the whole 7 mile out and back.

One of the best hikes in fmsp

A bit tiring, but well worth it. Beautiful views, plants of many kinds, insects galore, and not to mention the reptiles, i loved the several kinds of lizards i got to see.

I have walked just several sections of this trail, from the trailhead at Transmountain Road and from the trailhead at Mc Kelligon Canyon. This time, I decided to walk the entire out and back trail starting at the Mc Kelligon Canyon. In my opinion this is the best trail of the Franklin Mountains, although it is difficult in some sections because the steep, the loose stones and the climbing of rocks, you find the most beautiful views of the mountain, the canyon and also from the two sides of El Paso. It took me 6 hours and a half to walk the about 7 miles of the entire trail, but I was not in a hurry, so I took time to meet people, eat my snacks and stop several times to contemplate the amazing scenery. This is definitely the best view of the Franklin Mountains. It was also a great cloudy day with delicious fresh breeze, even though it was summer time, I enjoyed a lot. If you want to do this trail, do not bring your dog, wear a good pair of hiking boots and a walking stick, and you will enjoy a lot as I did.

I have had 2 knee surgeries in the last year and am still recovering from my last knee surgery and implant. I expected this trail to be much more challenging for me and didn't think I'd make it to a half mile in since I can't bend my knee at all and can't do stairs with my left leg. I was quite surprised that I made it a mile up before needing to stop and turn around because the trail got too steep and too rocky. This was a great trail, very quiet and pretty with lots of rock formation.

Definitely a difficult hike with a mix of climbing and hiking, especially from McKelligon Canyon. Beautiful views and a busy trail. The trail is a tricky one. Take a pack with you with water, snacks, first aid and plan for several hours depending on how far you go.

I completed this trail through two different hikes. Started on Transmountain and went to the South Franklin Peak and back, and went from McKelligon Canyon to the peak and back. I really loved the hike from the canyon. Great views and the rock climb up to The Window was a great addition to it. I'd say it's a pretty strenuous hike. But it's well worth it.

Hike is advertised as 4-6 hours one way. I managed to hike it in 2 hours, south to north, due to my Mountain Cougar like hiking abilities. Beauty views and the chain scramble was fun!

Best hike in El Paso. Dont take this trail lightly, be prepared with at least a day pack.

We hiked the entire length of the Ron Coleman trail which we began in McKelligon Canyon and ended at the opposite end on Trans-Mountain. The description says dogs can use this trail but if you are going to hike the entire length do not take your dog. There are sets of chains you will have to climb in order to get to The Window when coming from McKelligon Canyon. You will also want to drop off a car at the Trans-Mountain side then drive to McKelligon Canyon where you begin the hike. We also took a side trip to the Towers before starting the decent past The Mammoth and then following the remaining trail to the parking lot at Trans-Mountain. This hike has a little bit of everything. When you begin the hike at McKelligon there are two caves that you can take a break in. Past that you walk the Ridgeline and come up on one of the most scenic areas in the Franklins just before you have to climb the chains up to The Window. hike past the window into an open area where you can hang your feet off a cliff and eat lunch. Proceed up to the towers and see another incredible view of the East and West sides of El Paso. Head down where it is loose rock, I recommend a good walking stick or two in order to keep a good footing. You'll go by The Mammoth where you get to take another break and see another cave. On the way down pay close attention to the blue dots which mark the path. There are usually a few people on this section so just ask directions of you're not sure which way to go. Eventually you will find yourself in the parking lot looking back at what you just accomplished.