Rocky Point Trail

Rocky Point Trail is a 3.8 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Flower Mound, Texas that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, birding, and horses and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

bridge out

Take Cross Timbers Road from I-35 E or Lewisville. Turn south onto High Road (there is a light at this intersection) and continue .5 miles to a small parking area on the left (east) side of the road. If you make it to Sunnyview Lane you have gone to far. There is no signage, but the parking lot is pretty obvious.

My 4 stars are another woman’s 5 star. I like this unique trail. I suspect that anyone who doesn’t give it at least 3 stars either wants to keep this place a secret or wants something paved

Nice hiking course!!!

I loved that this trail is a bit overgrown... it really feels natural and lovely. My three kids adored it too. This is the first trail I’ve hiked in Texas that I’ve truly enjoyed.

My 11 year son and I went. The trailhead is basically non-existent and you have to walk between a patch of land at the back of houses. It then opens up a bit but the serpentine trails are not exactly well marked and close together so you end up on one side and another. Getting down to the lake is nice with good views. Got a bit lost on the way back but found our way out. It could use a bit of TLC with more markers and cleared out trails.

Definitely overgrown, but a nice natural alternative to the many concrete trails in the area. After the first few hundred yards you won't see any more houses or fences unless you divert off the trail. Do bring your phone to track the trail. It's easy to miss it in some places.

It's completely overgrown and poorly marked. Bring a machete if you want to give it a shot.

Another weird trail that runs along people's property lines. Seems like there is just no place around here to walk without seeing houses.

Friday, June 10, 2016

Saturday, May 14, 2016

This trail has the potential to be fantastic but I was very disappointed at the lack of trail markers and then the eventual lack of a trail. There were multiple occasions where I had to use both the previously mapped hikes on this app and my own GPS to figure out where I was supposed to be and eventually even that failed me as I trekked through completely unmarked and very dense vegetation to get back to a known good spot. I only ended up getting about a mile and a half worth of hiking from this trail today (14May2016).

Sunday, March 27, 2016

trail is still muddy near the stream (3/27/16) everything is lush and green.

Thursday, March 17, 2016

Trail sucked not well marked and unsure of actual trail whereabouts

Sunday, February 21, 2016

We just did this trail for the 3rd time today. We ended up getting so lost because markers ran out and didn't see the lake until we somehow ended up by camp David. It was crazy coming back but we made it. Still super fun!

Sunday, February 07, 2016

The trail is really cool. However it's still really flooded, so you can only complete 1/3 of the trail.

Sunday, January 24, 2016

Was a nice trail, but dead ended halfway to lake due to high water. We came back the way we came and then detoured down some horse trails that weaved us in between some homes.

Good way to spend a Sunday, just wish we could have gotten the full hike.

Tuesday, January 19, 2016

I hiked the trail on Friday and yes the trail does end when you get to the creek. I did go to the left and found a simple way across and was able to pick up the trail to continue on. I ended up running into water later on but was able to hike around 4 miles or so.

Sunday, January 03, 2016

Only made it about 1 mile in- Denton Creek is too full from all the recent rain.

Saturday, December 12, 2015

Great for where it is, some decent diversity of terrain. much is flooded as of late Dec 2015 so muddy is places and in several areas the trail is completely submerged. not well marked but plenty of trail to find. Worth the scramble for adults but not with kids IMO.

Saturday, December 05, 2015

Not clearly marked, muddy and unmaintained.

Saturday, May 02, 2015

I come here often for a short walk with the dog. Night hiking is great here, too.

Quiet, barely ever see anyone else on the trail. Dog loves it, of course. Local, quick, fun and not heavily used. What else can you ask for in a trail that's 20 minutes away from home?

Thursday, March 05, 2015

Nice easy trail with a few hills getting down along the creek. A big hint is to turn right when you get to the small pond. Pretty depressing how low the lake is but still an enjoyable hike.

Monday, October 06, 2014

The water at this state park taste funny and made my wife sick. The contractors who mow the grounds at this park have made a game out of throwing rocks on the RV's in the park while they mow. I got tired of hearing rocks bouncing off my RV and the glass, I went outside and they took off. Then they came back four more times. At this point I figured out the mowing crew were involved in some sort of twisted game to see who they could make mad by throwing rocks on their RV. Our RV is worth almost 100k, I'm guessing they targeted us just because of the value of our RV. These people are harassing and vindictive who have made a game out of harming people's hard earned dollars. The looks of these people who operate the mowers, they probably live in storage units and probably addicted to drugs. BEWARE of this place, you have been warned.

Sunday, April 27, 2014

I liked it but... The trail is not well marked. There are a lot of confusing off shoots. Too; I ventured all the way south to Rocky Point, beyond what is shown currently on this map (top right). And according to a map I'm looking at from Flower Mound Parks and Rec, this trail keeps going well into the North-East into Rocky Point Park. Maybe Rock Point Park would be a better place to get on the trail given the trails name. -?- I don't know. I got on up North at Sunnyview Road and High street. There is a little sliver of parking there right on High St. you can easily miss. Maybe all of this would have been more obvious if I was paying for the AllTrails app, I don't know. I agreed with many other reviews here too. I will go again.

Friday, March 14, 2014

I haven't gone yet

Sunday, February 23, 2014

It's good, because there weren't many people. Great for the dog! Pretty streams, ferns, and moss to see on the way to the lake and back.

Sunday, April 28, 2013

I really enjoyed this trail. The only issue is that there are so many turn offs that you can get turned around. Make sure to track you're original route!

Thursday, March 15, 2012

This trail has a good mix of terrain. I did find a large number of houses in the middle stretch of the trail, but on the positive side the beginning and end were varied and beautiful. I was able to spot many different species of wildlife, especially waterfowl. It was a good walk, without bikes are allowed on trail.

Monday, March 12, 2012

We went out this morning to Flower Mound to Hike this trail and were absolutely happy with that decision! As stated in the past review there were not a large amount of trail markers. Further, there were a good amount of over trails that cross crossed or branched off from the path we followed. Again, as stated in the other review there are some houses around yet I imagined more after reading it- probably just me.... I believe we came across about three houses our entire time out there. We crossed water many times- none were above our ankles and it has been raining for the past three days so I would expect less water on future adventures out there. It is a very wooded and secluded trail as we ran across one other person for the hour and a half we were out there. We did take our dogs with us- GREAT place to include them if you have some dogs that you would like to walk with. One thing to keep in mind when heading out to this trail is that if you pull the driving directions directly from (which I did) the trail head is at THE CORNER of High Street and Sunnyview. There is a little place to park your vehicle (black pavement) on the east side of High street at Sunnyview. We will be visiting this again in the future as it was very very pretty and enjoyable hike. According to the application my trails (android) Min Elevation was: 502ft, Max Elevation was: 923, and total change in Elevation was: 923 (there and back)- Total distance (upload GPX here): 2.3 Miles-- yet it is VERY dependent on what route/path you take as there are MANY!

Saturday, July 30, 2011

My friend Joy and I started early for this hike - we hit the trail head at about 0715. It begins in a residential area, and you must wade through a narrow, barely perceptible path among nice live oak tress but quite a bit of underbrush. We crossed a creek bed (certainly no water at July's end) then began meandering along the creek and eventually ended up at a finger of the Lake. The trail was very overgrown, I am 5'2" and some of the weeds were as tall as me. The trail itself is a sandy-loamy consistency which gets more sandy as you get closer to the lake - a workout like you are walking on the beach! Once you get to the lake it is breezy, with great views of the water. The trail is not necessarily well marked, however, you are not far from any particular neighborhood at any time, so the 'fear' of being lost is not super-concerning. At one point, a trail marker did show us a picture of a castle, but we never found any structure along that loop.
On the way back, the trail was being maintained with a mower/tractor. The hike back was MUCH more pleasurable with the vegetation mowed back.
Overall a good choice - never too far from civilization, while it really gives you the feel of certainly being in the woods!

Sunday, January 09, 2011

This 3.8 mile hike takes you through a green space area set aside for the creek that runs through the area on its way to Lake Grapevine. The trail is easy to access from Cross Timbers Road, where you head south on High Dr. where the small parking area for the trail head is on your left.

The trail is never far from homes in the area, but the lush foliage, even in the winter months, gives you a feeling that you are not right next to them. The trail has a couple of "steep" section and is a combination of hard packed surface and sand. The sand becomes more prevalent as you near the lake.

There is a stream crossing that may be impassable in wetter times of the year. We were able to jump from stone to stone and make it across, but there is not bridge if the water is higher.

We were pleased with this hike. The terrain is at least varied and requires your attention in some spots. The 3.8 miles out and back can be done in 2 hours.