Rockledge Park Trailhead to the Murrell Park Trailhead

Rockledge Park Trailhead to the Murrell Park Trailhead is a 3.8 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Lewisville, Texas and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

paddle sports

The portion of the hike reported on here is only from Rockledge Park Trailhead to the Murrell Park trailhead and back. This single-track natural surface trail originates in Rockledge Park to the Southeast and terminates in Rockypoint Park with additional trailheads in Murrell Park and Twin Coves Park. The trail meanders along the shoreline of Lake Grapevine and at times also goes through thick hardwood forest. Wildlife viewing opportunities include fox, deer, rabbit and abundant waterfowl and birding year round. Drinking water is available at all trailheads with public restroom facilities located only in Rockledge and Murrell Park access. Parking is abundant. Trail conditions become very difficult (steep and very rocky) at Twin Coves Park. Be wary of heavy mountain bike use as the trail is shared by both hikers and bikers. Trail opens at 8am and closes at sundown

The hardest part about this hike was the heat. There was nothing challenging otherwise. But it was a great way to spend the day working out.

On a Thursday morning in the summer, this trail was wonderful. It was quiet, serene and there weren’t many people out. It was a great start to my day

Nice trails, but bikers need to learn some manners and announce. Nearly collided with one. otherwise great to hear the lapping of lake waters and have a bit of elevation to climb

Took the children to the park this day to walk the trails. It's not too bad my kids were able to make the trek around the trail. Lots of mountain bikers and heavy use during the holiday weekend.

Great trail. Part of it is along the lake with a great breeze. The rest is in the woods. Lots of shade for summer time. Watch out for bikers, they are everywhere.

Fun hike with the family. At a few places some smaller trails break off toward a beautiful cliff area, with very nice views of the lake. Be conscious of any little ones or dogs approaching these areas. Park your vehicle in the residential area to the north of Rockledge Park. There is a concrete bike path adjacent to the new condo tower which has trail access as well.

This park is worth the $5 entry fee, plenty of parking areas and staff is courteous. Park attendants drive around the park as well. This park also has the best sunset views on the lake! The snack shop at the park has drinks, ice cream, chips and other snacks. There are Guided Hiking Tours available at the Rockledge Park store. The hiking tour was great! I learned a lot about the local history and wildlife on the tour. This is the number I called to reserve my spot for the tour, 817-454-1058.

this trail is over run with bikers most of which don't notify you when they are being you making the walking stressful.
The trail itself is great and fairly easy bit not with the throngs of bikers

Don t pay the 5 dollars entrance fee and enter from street side

Nice walking and biking trail. Some great places for the dogs to cool off in the water too!

Friday, July 07, 2017

This trail was nice! Dog friendly and right by the lake. Had some cliffs. Not difficult. Pretty scenery. I'll def be back.

Friday, May 19, 2017

Really liked this trail. Very beautiful views in some areas. Great for my dogs as there is lots of access to water throughout as well as some good shade cover. Ran into a few bikers who were polite. It's a bit of a drive from East Dallas but I will definitely be coming back.

Sunday, May 07, 2017

Great moderate training trail!

Friday, April 21, 2017

Great hike. like how trails runs through woods and along the water. interesting rocks. watch out for bikes.

Thursday, March 02, 2017

My dogs love it !

Friday, February 10, 2017

This used to be a regular access point for Northshore on your MTB. Not anymore. Cost me $5 for a pain in the butt on my bike, when I could have accessed it for free elsewhere. And the park director was very impolite when we got stuck in the mess getting back to the vehicle and got back to the exit 5 minutes late. He probably would have locked us in the park, certainly seemed like that's what he was about to do.

Don't get me wrong, it looks great for hiking and walks on the beach, but the bike trail is no longer being maintained.

Access Northshore on your bike from Murrell park, not Rockledge!

Sunday, December 11, 2016

Great trails. Some wooded and some along the shoreline so it makes a fun hike. There were a lot of bikes but everyone was friendly.

Sunday, November 06, 2016

Love bringing my dog out to this trail. Very quiet, though many mountain bikers.

Sunday, October 30, 2016

Awesome moderate trail. Mountain bikers every few minute. Most announce themselves. Bathroom doesn't have a working sink or water fountain. Views on the upper include the insides of some really fancy homes. Gate staff exceptionally welcoming and polite.

Thursday, August 11, 2016

Beautiful view, which is a lot of what I was looking for. Not the right kind of trail for running, more for biking. Also, as a side note you have to pay $5 to park.

Friday, June 10, 2016

It was a great park, just make sure you put on bug say cause there is a problem with ticks. But besides that theres great views and a lot of different trails.

Tuesday, March 22, 2016

Park is open but there is a bridge down about a mile in. You can still go up and around to the rest of the trail.

Trail isn't very well marked and I bushwhacked/walked around in circles a couple of times. But it is very pretty. Dog liked it too. Ended up finding a spot by the lake and setting up my hammock for half an hour before I had to head back.

Definitely be sure you are comfortable hiking up steep and narrow portions of the trail. Slid a couple times going down.

Monday, August 31, 2015

This park is closed due to recent weather. Will probably be closed awhile.

Wednesday, June 10, 2015

This is always a fun trail

Saturday, May 23, 2015

I almost don't want to tell you how awesome this place is at the risk of losing my perfect spot.

It is the best entrance to enter NORTHSHORE TRAIL, although they will charge you $5 a vehicle from this entrance, unlike the other entrances, it is totally worth it.

Tuesday, April 14, 2015

I really dug this place. I just started getting into hiking, but this is the kind of place I wanted to go to in my mind when I started doing this as a hobby. No paved trails, you can go off-trail a bit if you want, plenty of nature to see, and down by the water you can climb on all the rocks. I wish I wouldn't have went the day after it rained, but that's my fault. I didn't even go on nearly all the trails they have here, just the first leg. I plan on coming back earlier in the day when it's dry and really explore more. From the other reviews I see ppl complaining about all the trash, and yes there is some, especially down by the water, but it wasn't as bad as some were making out. Don't let your kids go barefoot though. Broken glass in several places by the water.

Saturday, April 19, 2014

The views are spectacular. There are rocky areas to climb. It feels like being at a rocky beach. My kids lived it. They went swimming in the lake. The only negative was litter and glass. Do not plan on being barefoot ever. Bring water shoes if you want to get in the lake. I highly recommend you bring food and spend one afternoon picnicking and hiking Rockledge. We will be back.

Sunday, June 23, 2013

I was impressed. Good trail to spend an afternoon!

Sunday, March 31, 2013

Simply Fantastic!! I love this trail; it has everything for bikers and hikers!!

Tuesday, March 12, 2013

As a mountain biker, I love this trail! I am pretty new to the sport, and have only been 6-7 times, but I love it! I was previously going to a much more simple, easy trail, and while it was fun, it got boring fast. This trail is easy enough that I can definitely manage it and enjoy my experience, without being in over my head, but it's challenging enough that there is plenty of room for me to grow as a rider out here. Very enjoyable! I will be back regularly!

Thursday, September 27, 2012

The others who have reviewed this trail with stars galore need to get out more, no offense. This is a simple lakeside trail. Very narrow and obviously designed for mountain biking. On foot there is little to sec but keep your head up or you may get run over by a 200mph mountain biker. The bikers are friendly and will let you know how many, if any, bikers are behind them, but it doesn't compensate for the near death experiences that you'll encounter. Like I said, there's not much to see. The woods are very dense and aside from the occasional lake view, I was bored. Finally gave up on the trail and went down the shoreline. It was also disappointing. Large scree, dead fish and trash everywhere. Good for exercise, that. is. it.