Riverplace Nature Trail [CLOSED]

hardYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(1768)
Nature Preserve at River Place

Riverplace Nature Trail is a 8.9 kilometer heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Austin, Texas that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 8.9 km Elevation Gain: 251 m Route Type: Out & Back

closed

fee

Users have reported this trail has a temporary closure due to COVID-19. Please see the park's website for up to date information. There is a $10 fee per day per hiker and $10 fee per day per animal. Credit Card Payments only. Children 12 and under with an adult are free. Great trail with tons of stairs. Even more challenging if you park at the park at the bottom of the neighborhood and run up all the hill, however this is not for the light of heart. Well groomed and plenty of shade. Some cool lookout points along the way. Nothing crazy spectacular but a nice afternoon hike.

Wow, I can’t believe they are wanting to charge people for this trail...what a joke. This is what’s wrong with my home state of Texas. NO BLM land. Everything is private. It’s ridiculous! It’s not Colorado, Montana, or Wyoming! I’d actually pay $20 to hike a trail in one of those places! Give me a break people!

Totally ridiculous. They are trying to charge $10 per person to hike a trail I’ve been using since I was a child for free. They actually had people sitting at the trail entrances. What a joke. It’s a decent trail, but people have ruined it.

This trail is NO joke! Challenging but rewarding. Lots of shade lots and lots of stairs with varying grades. Bring LOTS of water!

Great trail!! LOTS OF STAIRS

Super HARD

Great place to hike! Lots of steps but it is covered most of the places!

***OPEN*** amazing, hard, scenic, very maintained, best around trail for sure. yes, $10. worth it

It’s a great trail! I didn’t have to pay a fee but it was also closed due to Covid, I went anyway because there was some other groups there. I did the panther hallow path and it has some stairs and small paths. Dog friendly, kids older then 7 or 8 could probably do it with limited help. Not bike or anything with wheels friendly. I went to serenity pools and it was very nice, it’s spring fed so the water is cold (please don’t drink the water). It’s a good place to do yoga or read. I definitely don’t think it’s a hard trail, I would say it’s easy/medium.

This was my favorite spot to hike 4 years ago. I I did it nearly every day. It is a rotten turn of events that they are now charging an egregious fee to outsiders. Thanks privileged folks. I mean really, it is an awesome hike but not worth such a fee. I am appalled and saddened by the change. Don't go and pay the fee. There are other good trails. In fact, I think this trail should be removed from all trails.

This trail is currently closed.

fee

The fee violates the conditions of the program under which state funds were used to acquire the land on which this trail was built. It is charged only to people who live outside a district that was established after the trail was built. The stated purpose of the fee is to cover the cost of maintaining the trail, but that work is done by volunteers who are reimbursed for out of pocket expenses—expenses that are less than other volunteers incur without reimbursement in maintaining any one of many other public parks and trails in Austin, Travis County, and Williamson County. Needless to say, $10 per hiker is far more than is necessary to cover the cost of a few shovels, picks, saws, and the like. On the other hand, it does not cover the cost of hiring the constable’s deputy to “monitor” the entrance and make people feel compelled to pay the fee.

I am so in love with this trail. So many different ecosystems in one hike. Be ready for lots of steps and wear a camelback if you want to enjoy the long hike without holding a bottle of water.

This is the second time I've done this...only did half with my old man dogs...it was beautiful as ever. The Hike to the serenity pool and back is perfect for a quick afternoon, or those with older, struggling fur babies.

This used to be a great trail about 8 years ago. It was free and not busy or very well known at all and then they closed half of it due to endangered owls I believe. I haven’t been back since I lived in Austin in 2016 but it seems they are now charging fees and it is overcrowded. Too bad people can ruin a very nice location as it used to be a perfect cardio hike with the many steps and elevation changes.

I was expecting five full miles. But from end to end it was about 2.9 so maybe it would be walking back? I don’t know. Nice views. Lots of hills/elevation. Took about 90-minutes to complete. Would do it again lots of people though.

Very beautiful. Parked down at the park and didn't see anyplace to pay this fee that I'm reading about. Very busy and spent most of my time stepping to the side for other people with dogs. The trail was perfect but many of the people were rude and inconsiderate.

The best trail in Austin if you’re training for endurance, over 2,000 steps in 3 miles. The most steps in a row are 80. Three quick creek crossings with chains. Come before sunrise and avoid the fee on weekends or come during the week which is free. If you’re not in a rush please have the common courtesy to move out of the way of people running.

The trail is very beautiful, it's also nice to find a trail that's somewhat challenging around Austin. The $10 fee is a little frustrating but at least they no longer charge for dogs. I wouldn't say it's 10 dollar more beautiful than trails around it which are free but it might be worth the 10 just to do a more challenging trail.

This is a beautiful, well-maintained trail that is very challenging. Lots of ups and downs on log framed stairs. We went on a Sunday afternoon at 4:30 and avoided the $10 per hiker fee. That being said, the hike is not worth paying $10 for. There are various other beautiful hiking opportunities in the greater Austin area that you can enjoy for free. And, there is nothing so spectacular about this trail that justifies the $10 fee. However, I would pay a fee to tour some of the beautiful homes that you drive past on your way to the trailhead.

Be ready for a lot of steps and narrow trails at times. But over all a really nice hike!

This is a great trail and a major work out for your quads. Hundreds of built in wood stairs, out and back 6 miles with a total elevation gain (according to my Apple Watch) of 1500ft. The highest point is around 900ft but there is a lot of up and down over the six miles. Sometimes stairs going straight up is all you can see. Horrifying;). It’s a busy trail and they’re charging to enter but we got there early enough (around 9am on Sat) and got ahead of that. The trail can be quite narrow requiring waiting and giving way to those that are ascending. Many hikers with backpacks and walking poles. It’s a great training hike. Poles aren’t required but solid hiking boots are a good idea. FYI we each carried 2 liter hydration packs and we went through most of it. It took us 3.5 hours but we sat around for a 30 min break. Enjoy