Riverplace Nature Trail

Riverplace Nature Trail is a 5.5 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Austin, Texas that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 5.5 miles Elevation Gain: 823 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Note: Effective March 2019, there will be a $10 fee per day per hiker and $10 fee per animal per day. Credit Card Payments only. Children 12 and under with an adult are free. Great trail with tons of stairs. Even more challenging if you park at the park at the bottom of the neighborhood and run up all the hill, however this is not for the light of heart.

Great hike. Got out there early before the person collecting the money did so it didn’t cost me anything. Took about 2 hours with a good pace. Decent views and tons of stairs. Would do again.

this is the kind of workout I was looking for. start early, you don’t want it to get dark while on this trail. tons of stairs... TONS! very secluded and there was hardly any activity when I went. didn’t have to pay the $10 it mentions - don’t know what that’s about. but I highly recommend for experienced hikers & cardio junkies!!!

Great trail. Challenging! There was no attendant to pay on a Monday but I think the $10 fee would be worth it. It’s very well maintained and built well.

Very beautiful views and it’s a good place to get out of the city and interact with the nature... There’s so many ladders... I really enjoyed it!!

Have done this hike numerous times. Love the fact that it's shaded so you don't feel the sun.

This was one of my favorite spots.... unfortunately now there is a hefty $10 fee to access the trail. Such a poor experience and negative reflection on the River Place community.

As a beginner, the Canyon section of the trail was slightly challenging due to all the stairs and elevation changes, but other than that, it was a fairly easy path. My favorite part was when i was near the end of the Canyon trail, I found myself in possibly the deepest crevice of the valley. Here, I could not hear any cars or other machines. i could only hear the chirps of the birds, the swaying of the trees, and the light trickle of the stream. It was just so beautiful and it quite seriously almost brought me to tears. So serene. I went at about 8:30am; would recommend starting earlier to anticipate the heat of the walk back. I saw the signs to pay $10, but I never had to? Wasn’t sure if it was just a weekend thing or..

I used to love this trail but $10 per person and per animal is ridiculous. State parks don’t even charge that much. I guess that’s their way to control traffic. NEXT.

Amazing workout! All the stairs will really test you, but you’ll feel amazing after. There was a cool creek to chill in as well. Unfortunately we missed the waterfall since we passed it, but we all had a blast!

$10 per person and pet is pretty pricey, regardless of the type of scenery around. for a family of 4 and a dog it would be $50 to walk around? no thank you.

This is probably the only/most challenging hike in Austin. You’ll work up a small sweat but it’s worth the climb. There are nice wooded areas and plenty of wildlife to see. This area can have heavy foot traffic at times (beware suburban moms on their phones). Overall a beautiful and well-maintained trail.

Park your car and change clothes in the restrooms in the park above the trail in the neighborhood. They also have water fountains to fill up your bottles in this park. Be careful with sharp steel extensions on some wooden stairs along the trail.

Probably the best trail in Austin. This trail system is made up of three trails; Canyon, Little Fern, and Panther. Canyon is the most difficult with lots of stairs. The first mile is probably the most difficult section. The entire trail system is shaded. From Cayon you start in cedar trees and work your way up and down primative stairs to the bottom of the canyon. From there you follow a stream to the junction of the 3 trails. Fern would be a nice beginner trail; there are not too many stairs but you still get to see a few small waterfalls and nice rock formations. Panther is an easy trail with little elevation change. Panther starts at a small lake and is basically a forest trail that follows a small stream. All of the trails are in and out. I completed all 3 trails this morning in 2 hrs and 20 minutes with no stops. I completed Canyon and Little Fern with my 3 kids about a month ago. They are 11, 8, and 7. It was tough for them but they made it. We try to do a small hike every month or two. There is usually someone at the entrance of the trails that charge $10 for anyone over 12 and dogs. No charge for young children.

Beautiful trail! We only attempted the Little Elm portion but will be back! FYI you have to pay $10 per person if you go during peak times of the year. We were told on the weekends now from 7-3 you will be charged.

this trail has a hand written sign and a guard, $10 per person to hike...

a beautiful Trail I'll be back

It’s one of my fave trails that I went several times bcz it’s challenging w/ many stairs (2,736 built-in steps one way). Great workout for butt & thighs. I use trekking poles bcz it has rocks and uneven ground. Great shade. I like going there early in the am before it gets crowded and to avoid being charged $10 which is ridiculous! Austin Recreation & Parks normally doesn’t charge us for trail walking That’s why I rate this w/ 4 stars ($10!).

What a great introduction to hiking in Austin!! Love this place. We only saw maybe 6 people total in the 3 hrs it took us to do this round trip hike. Amazing weather too!!

Pros (and general observations): Probably the most elevation change you'll get inside the city. Lots of stairs and shade, and also some water crossings. Sections of the trail also get pretty narrow. As the description states, it's an out and back trail, so be prepared to either go back the way you came or cut through the neighborhood; I usually opt for the former, and that round trip generally takes me 1h50m. Note that the trail gets pretty muddy after rain, and bring lots of water! 2.5-3 L is sufficient for me on a pretty hot day, but your mileage may vary. Cons: The $10 fee per person, per animal is ridiculous. They started off enforcing the fee just on weekends 8a-4p but have since extended it to Friday afternoons 2p-6p and just recently - literally days after Memorial Day - to holidays as well. If you're considering going before/after these windows, I would make sure to double-check their website, in case they change anything.

Beautiful trail but those stairs are no joke! I started from River Park which I think is technically backwards but I liked it that way..:most of the stairs are towards the other end...the way I did it you have a nice warm up and cool down and then the killer stairs are in the middle :) my dog loved it too. The water was high so it was unavoidable to walk straight through the water at times..the crossing stones didn’t even really help...so decent hiking shoes are a must. I am definitely going to frame or canvas some of the pictures I took. This trail is truly beautiful and a great workout. Will definitely come back!

This is one of my favorite in Austin because it has lots of hills and water for most of the lower part of the trail. any other trail in Austin please pay attention for wildlife especially coral snakes and copperheads. This is not a public trail! They do charge a fee but it's reasonable for what you get IMHO. Most of the trail is covered although some of the upper portion especially during the summer time can be well exposed. This trail is well maintained and has great elevation for the area.

Easy trail for someone used to hiking elevated areas. My 7 year old and i did it with no problems. Watch out for spiderwebs and snakes. Saw cool turtles and slippers in the water. You can avoid the fee by starting after dawn and before 8

Absolutely loved it! Be prepared for the stairs... lots of them. Take plenty of water! If you like being in nature... hearing birds chirping... brooks babbling ... soft dirt trails... and stairs... then do not hesitate. $10 charge was worth it. Took me a little over 2 hours to hike.

I love this trail! lots of stairs great for interval training especially during the week when it's less crowded.