Riverplace Nature Trail

Riverplace Nature Trail is a 5.5 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Austin, Texas that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 5.5 miles Elevation Gain: 823 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Note: Effective March 2019, there will be a $10 fee per day per hiker and $10 fee per animal per day. Credit Card Payments only. Children 12 and under with an adult are free. Great trail with tons of stairs. Even more challenging if you park at the park at the bottom of the neighborhood and run up all the hill, however this is not for the light of heart.

this trail has a hand written sign and a guard, $10 per person to hike...

a beautiful Trail I'll be back

It’s one of my fave trails that I went several times bcz it’s challenging w/ many stairs (2,736 built-in steps one way). Great workout for butt & thighs. I use trekking poles bcz it has rocks and uneven ground. Great shade. I like going there early in the am before it gets crowded and to avoid being charged $10 which is ridiculous! Austin Recreation & Parks normally doesn’t charge us for trail walking That’s why I rate this w/ 4 stars ($10!).

What a great introduction to hiking in Austin!! Love this place. We only saw maybe 6 people total in the 3 hrs it took us to do this round trip hike. Amazing weather too!!

Pros (and general observations): Probably the most elevation change you'll get inside the city. Lots of stairs and shade, and also some water crossings. Sections of the trail also get pretty narrow. As the description states, it's an out and back trail, so be prepared to either go back the way you came or cut through the neighborhood; I usually opt for the former, and that round trip generally takes me 1h50m. Note that the trail gets pretty muddy after rain, and bring lots of water! 2.5-3 L is sufficient for me on a pretty hot day, but your mileage may vary. Cons: The $10 fee per person, per animal is ridiculous. They started off enforcing the fee just on weekends 8a-4p but have since extended it to Friday afternoons 2p-6p and just recently - literally days after Memorial Day - to holidays as well. If you're considering going before/after these windows, I would make sure to double-check their website, in case they change anything.

Beautiful trail but those stairs are no joke! I started from River Park which I think is technically backwards but I liked it that way..:most of the stairs are towards the other end...the way I did it you have a nice warm up and cool down and then the killer stairs are in the middle :) my dog loved it too. The water was high so it was unavoidable to walk straight through the water at times..the crossing stones didn’t even really help...so decent hiking shoes are a must. I am definitely going to frame or canvas some of the pictures I took. This trail is truly beautiful and a great workout. Will definitely come back!

This is one of my favorite in Austin because it has lots of hills and water for most of the lower part of the trail. any other trail in Austin please pay attention for wildlife especially coral snakes and copperheads. This is not a public trail! They do charge a fee but it's reasonable for what you get IMHO. Most of the trail is covered although some of the upper portion especially during the summer time can be well exposed. This trail is well maintained and has great elevation for the area.

Easy trail for someone used to hiking elevated areas. My 7 year old and i did it with no problems. Watch out for spiderwebs and snakes. Saw cool turtles and slippers in the water. You can avoid the fee by starting after dawn and before 8

Absolutely loved it! Be prepared for the stairs... lots of them. Take plenty of water! If you like being in nature... hearing birds chirping... brooks babbling ... soft dirt trails... and stairs... then do not hesitate. $10 charge was worth it. Took me a little over 2 hours to hike.

I love this trail! lots of stairs great for interval training especially during the week when it's less crowded.

Note that this trail now requires a payment of $10 per adult and pet for non residents.

Loved the trail but for the charge per person!

Tucked into the hills of Westlake mansions is this beautiful and well maintained trail. As far as Austin trails go, this was challenging. The only drawback was occasionally hearing loud obnoxious men golfing and gabbing on the golf course that butts up against the property. Once you get past them the trail is lovely. They don’t charge during the week so we took a day off and went on a Friday and there was hardly anyone out there. Definitely bring lots of water and a snack.

Good trail, not for the faint of heart. My watch said we did 59 sets of stairs. A great hike for those in shape, just remember to bring some water and a snack to chew on. This was my first altitude change hike in Austin, and I enjoyed it. Great view at the top, worth the $10 per person(although I did not have to pay it this time) Will so this hike again occasionally.

stairs stairs stairs stairs stairs stairs stairs stairs stairs stairs stairs stairs stairs stairs stairs stairs stairs stairs

Not worth the poor person fee.

Great hike, got the heart rate up, especially on the way back to the trailhead. Did the other two smaller hikes at the park (at the turnaround point of the canyon hike) for a total of 7.5 miles. Went on Friday and didn’t have to pay $10, one of the locals I spoke with thinks that only applies on weekends.

Loved it!!! I'm a bit out of shape so my heart rate monitor registered at 180 BPM several times but it was definitely a great workout!!! Went from pond to end of trail and it registered 4.4 miles so not sure how it's only marked at 5.5 roundtrip. Recommend!!!

I love this trail. The scenery is peaceful. Lots of trees. About 3 hour hike going up and down. There's an alternate way available for those that don't want to complete the full hike. Very upsetting to know they are charging $10 per person, should be more like $5. But very grateful to have enjoyed this trail a couple of times before they started charging.

The view was ruined by development in the area and the trail was way to thin for people to walk both ways. My knees were killing me afterwards because because the whole trail was built with man made steps.

Really fun! Kinda wet in places. Not worth the eventual $10 access to nonresidents though.

Congratulations on keeping out the riff raff and their pets. I’ve donated multiple times while there, but the exhorbitant fee for every warm body on the trail means I will find more friendly places elsewhere even though I used to love this trail

Big oof

Good stuff! One of the hardest trails I have done! A lot of elevation and climbing but it’s so worth it!

Big bend is $25 a week. $10 a day per person + $10 a dog is not a usage fee. It’s a plan to keep the riffraff out of River Place.

Great trail one of my favorites in Austin for trail running! Unfortunately beginning March 2, 2019 they're going to start charging $10 PER PERSON (plus an extra $10 PER DOG) a day to access the trail. What used to be an amazing trail for training is unfortunately being privatized, because of this I'm leaving a 2-star review and a warning to anyone looking to give this trail a go in the future.

Epic out and back trail! Absolutely stunning views of Austin and the trail was so well kept up!

Get you some. Hard exercise but very doable. Pretty well shaded but plan ahead if hot. Bring lots water. Did the three miles up and back. Drastic elevation change to firm up those hineys. We were all sore but not like training for the Olympics sore.