Rio Medina Trail

Rio Medina Trail is a 12.6 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near San Antonio, Texas that features a river and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from May until October.

Went February and weather was good. The unpaved trail is alright and links up to river, but not moderate trail and really easy. The paved trail is nice and good for beginners. Next time I'm bring my bike to enjoy more.

Great paved path for biking along the Greenway.

I was thoroughly impressed at what this unexpected gem of a natural area and trails had to offer. Something for just about everyone and within a short drive for a short getaway for the everyday worker. Long hike, short hike, 1-18 mile run, bike paved, bike unpaved, mostly disabled accessible areas, fishing, bird watching, camp, group event pavilions, shade. Hidden among miles of farmland and along the river. Amazing variety of massive ancient trees along the river trails. You can park at the Natural Preserve Area or the Old Applewhite Rd, which cuts the long trail in half.

Loved the scenery very enjoyable

Very nice trail! Well maintained, with lots of spots to stop and rest. Defiantly pay attention when walking around some of the curves/bends on the trails, walked right up on a snake!

I hiked the full trail and it's actually over 14 miles. There's a lot of sunny areas so bring lots of water. Don't try the full trail unless you're ready.

Monday, April 03, 2017

Nice trail along stream but it's definitely not 13 miles out and back.

Friday, November 04, 2016

trail is pretty awesome! Watch out for hogs, ran the trail twice and ran into an adult hog on the trail on mile 8. wasn't ready to climb a tree

Sunday, October 16, 2016

I love this trail! It was very peaceful. I only ran into two hikers the whole trail.

Monday, September 05, 2016

Great trail!

Saturday, September 03, 2016

Great spot .. buuuuut picked the wrong day to explore.. so many gnats.. lol be we are going back soon

Tuesday, July 26, 2016

Awsome 3 mile walk....my favorite trail was towards the 2 mile mark...the bird singing, the deer, the breeze was incredible. The weather was perfect cloudy and misty.

Saturday, July 16, 2016

Love this place, great walking trails, areas to sit and take a break if needed. Take your own water!! No fountains or any other source provided. Don't forget about you pets too

Sunday, April 17, 2016

What a great morning ride. The canopy of trees along the river offered cool and shady ride with the cacophony of birds contributing to your overall experience . The trail continues up through meadows and brush land, so you get it all with a winding, multi elevation ride including steep switchbacks. The naturalists were very helpful to us describing the lay of the trail. The trail maintenance was superb. Clean bathrooms. Can't wait to ride this one in the fall.

Wednesday, April 13, 2016

I go to this trail 2-3 times a week. very peaceful and love the trail

Saturday, July 12, 2014

A decent trail, few ups and downs but nothing difficult. Peaceful, quiet, and serene. This time of the year definitely start early in the morning, beat the Texas heat to the punch. Another plus, everyone is really friendly.

Thursday, May 22, 2014

one of my favorite trails to go to. very peaceful. not difficult by any means.

Sunday, March 16, 2014

Easy trail but it was very very hot. Parts of the trail are along the river which makes it very unique and scenic. You feel very close to nature as its away from the hustle bustle of city. Take plenty of water with you and try to choose a cooler day to hike! It was not crowded, we just met one biker all the way, so it was wonderful to be there.

Saturday, November 16, 2013

My son and I rode this trail today and found it gentle and easy. The trail goes through beautiful scenery and there has been an attempt to preserve old farm building ruins along the route.

Tuesday, August 27, 2013

I give this trail 5 stars because it is awesome. It is paved for almost three miles. I cannot wait to bring my kids and their bikes.
I started my hike during a rain. It was very quite and I found myself right on top of a group of feral hogs. Coming out I walked up on some bigger hogs and had to throw a rock at them for them to clear the trail. I do not like feral hogs!
But it was awesome to scare some pigs!

Saturday, May 25, 2013

This is a great trail for family mountain biking.

Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Great paved trails. The unpaved trails allow for a leisurely stroll through some bottom lands that are for the most part down by the Medina River. Saw plenty of wildlife- lots of birds, squirrels, ladybugs, and butterflies. The river is accessable from several spots. There are also pavillions so bring a lunch!

You could get some trail running or off-road biking in but the unpaved trails aren't very challenging or long.

All very well maintained and clean.

Friday, October 26, 2012

I visited this park on a hot day. Me and my little dog couldn't finish the hike, but it was a very nice place. I will defiantly be going back. There is security there so I felt safe being alone. These are wheelchair accessible trails! I was very impressed. They also have trails that are not wheelchair accessible. Also they are beginning to open a trail from this park to Mitchell Lake! Looks like it will be some time before its complete though.

Monday, August 20, 2012

Great place to ride!! I didn't even know that this park existed until about a year ago when I passed by it on my way to Poteet. It has both paved trails and off road trails. I will definetly b e coming back here.

Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Paved 7 mile out and back. Great easy bike ride with enough elevation to give your legs a good workout. No obstacles except switch-backs that are steep.

Friday, December 30, 2011

Very fun atmosphere to go hiking or bike riding. Has concrete and dirt roads.