EveryTrail is now a part of AllTrails! Please click here to read more.

Ray Roberts Greenbelt Trail

Ray Roberts Greenbelt Trail is a 21.3 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Denton, Texas that features a lake and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 21.3 miles Elevation Gain: 226 feet Route Type: Out & Back

partially paved

As of August 2019, the entrance at Highway 380 is reported as closed. There is another trail that starts at the northern end: Elm Fork Greenbelt Trail. NOTE: There is a $7 adult fee and children 12 and under are free. The trail can be accessed from 3 different locations. There is one parking lot at either end of the trail (one on Highway 380, and one on FM 455) and one in the middle along FM 428. Each parking area has restrooms, picnic tables, and kayak/canoe take-outs and put-ins.

bike touring

The southern park is still closed but from the lot on 428 you can still head north the 4 miles or so to the lake. The double tire track is basically flat, crushed gravel so bumpy if you don't have shocks, and passes through lovely clear areas, dotted with round hay bales this time of year. Lots of hawks hunting overhead but few people. There is a big branch down across the path in the wooded section near the lake but you can walk your bike around it. Really a lovely ride or run in this weather. Be sure to bring cash to pay the fee.

380 entrance closed 9/22. We decided to take a stroll anyway - the trail is rough. Deer, snakes and wild boar (with young) kept us from passing the bridge under the railroad tracks. The ground was completely dry. This could be a great trail with a little maintenance.

I have a Park Pass, so I do not pay the park fee, but I regularly run the trail between FM 428 & FM 455. It is very good for that purpose. Very flat with views of surrounding hills and hay fields. Well maintained for running, walking, and biking. Basically pea gravel surface that is wide enough for a vehicle to drive down. 3 miles primarily in the open with occasional shade & 1 mile or so on north end heavily wooded. Moved here from a major city, and I appreciate having serene areas like this, and many others like it in Denton County available to use.

gate still closed on 380 entrance. and there is a $7 per adult fee, 12 & under free.

The entrance is closed on 380. Returning back

FYI: Just called Lake Ray Roberts State Park - TX Parks and Wildlife (940-686-2148) and they stated the trail is still flooded and barricaded off from the 380 access point up to the 428 access point.

closed

Trail-head is underwater, parking lot is underwater. Needless to say, didn't get a chance to hike this trail.

bridge out

Sat May 19 2018

Drove 17 minutes to find out it's closed off idk if there is another way to get in but the way the GPS took me it was closed I was sad I was looking forward too this trail :(

Sun Apr 22 2018

For a great hike take the horse trail (entrance on the right hand side of the parking lot) from the FM428 entrance. Great low water crossings and lots of tree covered dirt trails.

Sun Jan 07 2018

so I drive on 380 every day I saw the gate was unlocked went in and they a new bathroom was constructed and the contractor who is working on the construction said that they are pouring concrete on Tuesday yay!

Thu Sep 21 2017

Walked up to the trail map past the gate, looks like they were trying to work on it now the gunning of the trail is a bunch of tractor ruts from all the mud in the last few months. The trail is definitely closed from this section, total waste of a good morning.

Sat Sep 16 2017

1/2 of this "trail" as they call it, ( it's a one lane gravel farm road ) is closed for repair (9-13-17) so it's only 4 miles long, one mile of it is in the shade, the rest is in the full sun, it is all flat, you only see the "creek" ( trendy river) for 1% of the trail, i did see 2 armadillos & a squirrl , fine for a mountain bike but i wouldn't bring your road bike on it .

Wed Jul 05 2017

Dope.

Sun Feb 12 2017

Per the website parts of the trail is currently open. "The FM 380 section of the Greenbelt Corridor is closed. The hard surface trail of the Greenbelt Corridor between Hwy 428 and Hwy 455 is open, but the equestrian trail remains closed. Work continues to repair severe erosion issues and washed out bridges. The section of the equestrian trail from 455 (Elm Forks) South to 380 is closed. Please contact the park for more information". http://tpwd.texas.gov/state-parks/ray-roberts-lake

Thu Sep 01 2016

I drive down 380 everyday, watching for trl to open...maybe in another year if it doesn't rain.

Sat Aug 27 2016

Kat: keep an eye on the park website at http://tpwd.texas.gov/state-parks/ray-roberts-lake I've never called the 800 number, so I can't speak to that, but the website has had a notice up at the top of the page for ages ... I've been checking for the trail to reopen for at least a year and a half :^o it feels like longer

Fri Jun 24 2016

Love these trails for early morning runs. Sometimes closed due to high water! Pretty views of the lake.

Sun Jun 19 2016

I tried to get to this trail today 6/19/16 from the south end and it was closed. So, I went to Lake Ray Roberts and told the Park Ranger that I had tried to access the southern portion, to which she replied "That part has been under water for a year and a half." First of all, I called the 800 number to get trail conditions. I checked the website. NOWHERE did it say that the southern trail head was closed. If it has really been a year and a half, don't you think you might want to update a few things? I wouldn't go there for at least another year. It's WAY under water.

Sat Apr 02 2016

Plenty of space to walk and explore

Sat Mar 26 2016

In order to test some hiking gear I decided to find a good long trail locally that could give me a safe environment to test with. I originally wanted to start out from the southern end of the trail, north of lake Lewisville and could easily have passed it since it wasn't well marked. Unfortunately the flood damage closed this entrance so I ended up driving to the north entrance at the Ray Roberts State Park where they charge you 7 dollars a day. I would break this trail into three parts based on my experience making it just short of the south entrance. The first section is what I'd call the photo op area where there were plenty of opportunities to take some nice pictures of the landscape around the park. Indian Paintbrushes are out in force right now so the fields have a nice red haze to them. The large oaks are just beginning to show their leaves so they are also looking pretty majestic. The first four miles are well maintained paths and considering the rain fall, there were very few places where the paths were covered in mud, mostly in shaded sections. The first couple of miles of the North trail are completely shaded. This then opens up into an additional two miles of open field on one side and shaded river bank on the other. You'll find the majority of the time the river will be just beyond the brush so I imagine the experience by kayak or canoe would be totally different. So this first section I found myself stopping constantly to take pictures and think it would be ideal for family hikes going all the way down to FM-248. It's here with the picturesque red walking bridge that announces the break to the next section of the trail. There is a pathway under FM-248 in better weather conditions that allows you to travel without worrying about road traffic but it was still closed off due to mud damage. Once you cross the road though you'll find the trail starts in an open field to one side and the river tree line on the other with water and mud more visible on the trail but still usable. The next three miles on this trail start from the open fields where I saw eagles to a wooded covered area with quite a lot of wildlife. The area almost feels like hedgerows as you enter the woods which line both sides with dense and thick bush growth. This is where I saw a pack of wild black boars milling about on the road then heading into the brush when they noticed me. Later on when the mud was more obvious you could see considerable tracks on the road from a mix of animals (boar, deer, rabbits, coyote) though I'm not sure if some of them could have been bobcats. This hedgerow eventually opened into a more marshy environment with spiky trees deterring anyone from the path. There seemed to be quite a few animal trails leading off from the main road into the spiky wilderness. At this point the trails were more and more completely covered with mud but still very walkable. The bridges themselves were all fine except for the 3-4 inches of mud covering the surface of each. I always found it interesting to read the mud tracks and see what kind of animals used the bridges to move around with all of the fresh mud. So then thinking about the last 3-4 miles getting closer to Lake Lewisville. This area seemed to have the more telltale signs of flood damage with many of the large trees blocking the paths and requiring you to either go around them or climb over them. In addition to this all of the concrete and stone paved sections were either washed into marsh or completely covered with an inch or two of mud everywhere. It was a forest in recovery and felt like a recently dried out bog. I reached a train track which in better days would have been accessible, with the flooding though the pathway below it was cut by a small brook with mud lining both embankments. I jumped worried it would swallow my boots, the mud was rubbery but solid enough to let me continue. Several hundred feet further down the trail you could see railroad track wood beams strewn along the path, clearly driven by the flood waters. After another mile, determined to make it to the south entrance and capture pictures of where I intended to start I checked time. It was getting late and it would take some time to get back so I decided to eat quickly on a dead but dry log and make the long walk back. Not long after mile eleven my toes were betraying me, and every mile past it my mind was constantly overruling my feet. The fact that you travel the same trail coming back makes for a difficult journey so I would say 21 miles of hiking in where half of it is the same scenery in wet weather conditions makes for a moderate to hard journey. It was a great experience nonetheless though I recommend for people to attempt the 10 mile version instead with strategic car placement with a friend.

Wed Jan 13 2016

Road Closed. Completely flooded.

Mon Sep 28 2015

I've run the whole trail. Great place to train for a distance race. About half of the trail is significantly shaded. Beautiful Texas views. Well worth the $7.

Tue Jun 23 2015

Nice long trail that is quite shaded and flat. Very little change in terrain which can get a bit monotonous. Great place to get in a long recovery run on a flat soft surface. Two sides to this trail...one is paved or graveled, the other side is soft surface dirt or grass for horses. I've run on both sides. Can be very isolated in areas so ladies best to have a canine or friend along.

Thu May 28 2015

Great workout! Constantly pedaling! Beautiful in the spring with the wild flowers. Fields of them!

Sat Jan 17 2015

If your looking for a challenging bike trail dont do this one! ITS Flat and boring. And my tire kept going flat so this trail ticked me off. Then my tire was flat when i left.

Mon Oct 27 2014

The corridor bike trail was excellent. But DO NOT take the ranger suggested equestrian trail from the Isle du Bois state park unit to the corridor bike trail. The equestrian trail is deep sand and we had to push our bikes for 1 1/2 hours until we got to FM 455 which took us over to the beginning of the Greenbelt Corridor bike trail. From the Isle du Bois campground, it may be best to bike out to FM 455, then take the short ride on FM 455 west to the bike trail entrance below the dam. There is a good shoulder to ride on.

Mon Oct 06 2014

great trail! Loved the tall trees and great path. Cant wait to bike the trail! There is also kayaking available!

Mon Jul 14 2014

Hiked this on July 14, 2014 and so far it's a favorite! Great hike, old growth forest...lots of wildlife!