Parkhill Prairie Trail

Parkhill Prairie Trail is a 1.2 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Farmersville, Texas that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible year-round.

This park is a paradise for nature observers, since there is a lot of flowers and bird/insect activity, but it's not really for hikers or anyone wanting to use the open space for an outing because of how overgrown the grass is.

I absolutely loved this trail. It reminds me of Little House on the Prairie. There are tall grasses and it's so peaceful here. I wish it were closer to me. I would go all the time. I thought my GPS was leading me wrong but this place is in the middle of nowhere. I went during the week and there was not a soul there. My dogs had so much fun. They do have bathrooms there but they were locked. Maybe they only open them up on the weekends. I'm unsure.

I took my daughter to this trail to do a quick shakedown hike as preparation for a summer backpacking trip. This is definitely more of a nature preserve than a park with trails. Most of the trail was knee-to-waist high grass, as were the common areas. The only way to differentiate the trail from the field was to walk between old treads where they must run a mower or tractor at the beginning of the season, and watch for occasional marker posts. It was more like bush whacking than hiking. The long trail that runs to the observation area to the north measured out at 1mi out and back and did offer some really nice views.

This park is probably paradise for nature observers, since there was a lot of flowers and bird/insect activity. Didn't see any snakes, but I'm sure they are in abundance. But it's not really for hikers or anyone wanting to use the open space for an outing.

Saturday, January 30, 2016