Panther Canyon Nature Trail

Panther Canyon Nature Trail is a 1.7 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near New Braunfels, Texas that offers the chance to see wildlife and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, trail running, and birding and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Kids had a lot of fun. Different rocks to climb on and explore. Beautiful arid climate in early March.

Rocky trail following the dry creek bed. This would be impassible during wetter times. Trail is not as long as listed due to “private trail” signs near the end.

This is a nice trail....maybe a little rocky in spots....but it is well maintained and clean. My daughter and I enjoyed the variety of rock formations and the types of trees. There were a few squirrels but no deer or other wildlife. Some birds were beginning to start their spring vocalizations but in general it was very quiet. A good hike

Great hike. I expected a little water but the stream was bone dry. Other than that it was a short rocky trail suitable for even younger children. Kids love climbing on small boulders!

nice quick hike ... great for those with kids who like to hike too

Monday, March 13, 2017

Would have been a great trip except that there were kids on one of the ridge lines throwing rocks at hikers. One almost hit my father in law.

Thursday, March 02, 2017

Too many rocks. Felt like I was going to twist an ankle if I didn't pay more attention to every step rather than being able to enjoy the view. The mountain laurels were blooming so it smelled great!

Tuesday, February 28, 2017

Very pretty, easy hike in late February .

Thursday, December 29, 2016

Really rocky hard on dogs feet.

Sunday, November 27, 2016

Panther Canyon Trail is located on the west side of street across from the north section of Landa Park. The site of the trailhead is first marked by the presence of Comal Springs, the largest springs in Texas and the Southwest. The trail is very nice and mostly shaded. There will be rocky stretches along with dry creek crossings as you will notice old footbridges having been removed. Rather than just turning around at the end, you have the opportunity to go up one side of the canyon that will head you back down to the creek bed area after a short distance. The trail was surprisingly quiet given it is next to the park and surrounded by residential area. Note: There is no lake features or buildings within the trail area as pictures of these are part of the park. Also did not come across any overlook as you are within the canyon walls.

Monday, October 17, 2016

One of our favorites in the area. We always find lots of fossils and see some wildlife, even a pretty big buck last time out. Hiking boots recommended as it can be very rocky at parts.

Saturday, August 06, 2016

This was an easy, beautiful trail. The scenery was great and we saw some wild life (some neat looking bugs, deer and bats). We also saw some people who hung some hammocks in the trees along the trail and families hiking as well. It also seems like a great place to star gaze. I would love to go back.

Sunday, July 24, 2016

Great short walk, good shoes recommended.
We took a walk along the creek bed and found rocks with imprints of ancient plants and sealift and even a mark that looked like a dinosaur's foot print

Sunday, July 10, 2016

Most of the trail was shutdown this trip due to flood damage. But still nice, very rocky terrain.

Sunday, May 15, 2016

I take my kids and dogs with me on this trail. It is a nice distance for small kids and is conveniently located in Landa Park. The kids love to finish this trail with a dip in the Comal River.

Friday, March 18, 2016

the path frequently splits, so there's numerous ways to get to the endpoint. was a little disappointing to realize the end of the trail was only designated by small "private property do not enter" signs. the majority of the ground is large rocks, so it kind of detracted from the hike when you had to spend the majority of it watching your footing. overall it was enjoyable.

Tuesday, March 08, 2016

It's a good starter trail for all ages. Wear comfortable shoes because it is a rocky trail. I crossed paths with many deer throughout the trail and it was very peaceful.

Tuesday, February 23, 2016

The trail is very rocky so good shoes are needed, but I loved being close to the dry stream and looking at the rocks that were shaped. It goes up a little bit not too much so it's a nice easy thing you can do in about an hour. They are currently working on a better trail so when you see red flags, don't go there. Additionally, my dog enjoyed it :)

Saturday, January 30, 2016

Great weather! Trail well maintained! Lots of rocky places so sturdy shoes recommended.

Sunday, January 24, 2016

Love this hike, only wish it was longer. It is a beautiful hike along a creek bed that only has water in heavy rains. Starts right at the bubbling springs that form the Comal River, which is really an amazing thing to see. There are limestone cliffs, lots of trees, a smooth path but rocky in some places. During the week there are very few people on the trail.

Saturday, December 26, 2015

We went on an overcast Saturday, mid-morning. Even though the sun wasn't out, the trees provided ample shade. We saw a young family with kids around 6 years old who made the entire trip. We also saw a man and his dog walking briskly through the trail. It is a short trail but reasonably fit people can climb the side-trails, which go up and back, to elongate their experience. Overall it was a rather enjoyable experience and we will go back again.

Sunday, November 15, 2015

nice short walk....

Monday, October 12, 2015

short trail, but fun to run. Very quiet with few other people during the week. I try to incorporate it into a longer run at least every other week.

Sunday, July 26, 2015

It was a pleasent trail and would be good to do with kids or family. Saw a group of RC car enthuisiast's with rock crawlers going up the dry creek. It looked like a lot of fun.
I was looking for something a little longer but you could walk around the park for some extended walking/scenery if need be.

Tuesday, July 14, 2015

Really enjoyed this trail! I finally got around to this trail and it's a great easy hike with lots of scenery. Landa Park itself was getting busy when I was done with the hike around 9:45am so it's best to go during the week in the mornings. Also, I took my dog with me and she enjoyed the trail too, though I will say that this trail was the rockiest one I've hiked so far.

Monday, July 13, 2015

Sunday, June 07, 2015

Love this trail, they have expanded it to 2.2 miles and it's still listed here as 1.6 miles .

Thursday, April 30, 2015

Perfect for small hikes an watching scenery. Great for first times, since my fiance and I decided to start hiking together. I loved it.

Monday, February 23, 2015

I do this trail all the time and it never gets old! So fun and easy!