Palo Duro Canyon State Park Trail

Palo Duro Canyon State Park Trail is a 2 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Canyon, Texas that features a river and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Cactus campground located in Texas's Palo Duro Canyon state park provides access to numerous scenic trails in the park.

Felt like we were in an old western movie set, nice hike out on Juniper cliff side trail and hike back on Juniper riverside trail.

Friday, June 02, 2017

There are a bunch of trails here for all types of hikers (not the super advanced). I've already reviewed Lighthouse. The easy trails like Sunflower are pleasant but not boring (for the most part). Make sure you bring water, even on shorter or easier trails. A walking stick is helpful. Sunscreen. Bug spray (advisable). These are "active" trails without too many benches, scenic overlooks and such. I wanted to try the difficult trails but after two days of hiking the lovely wife said "enough!" We'll be going back in the fall or early spring.

Sunday, January 15, 2017

All trails were closed except for CCC. It was still a nice hike till I sprained my ankle. The hours listed my the park being open are subject to weather and trail conditions. So sad I drove 7 hours and couldn't hike the Rock Garden trail.

Tuesday, December 27, 2016

There are so many great hiking trails within PDC for all skill levels!

Sunday, August 28, 2016

best views I've seen in Texas. Light house trail is a must see. also, this is not a 33.8 mile backpacking trail! follows the road into the state Park. if you want a little adventure, I would recommend goin off trail and climbing through the canyon.

Saturday, April 02, 2016

Favorite place camp in Texas

Friday, December 25, 2015

Awesome

Saturday, December 12, 2015

Great primitive campsites especially with the shaded table. Many nice hikes in the park.

Friday, December 04, 2015

great state park with many rec. opportunities. All well maintained. Nice little Visitor Center.

Friday, July 31, 2015

The Rock Garden Trail was one of our favorites in the park. The incline is gradual and well maintained. The views and area are very different from the rest of the park. We stop at the overview but if you have more time the climb to the top of fortress ridge looks interesting

Friday, July 31, 2015

Stick to the Cliffside of the Juniper Trails. Most of the views along the Riverside are blocked by the trees. The Big Cave is a nice stop and short hike from the Juniper day use area

Friday, July 31, 2015

The CCC trail out to and along the Goodnight Peak Scenic Loop is a wonderful hike that offers great views of Palo Duro Canyon. The inclines are not bad and the trail was well maintained. It takes you from the CCC overlook out to Goodnight Peak. This is the spot that the horseman with the Texas flag rides from during the opening of the Texas Show.

Sunday, July 05, 2015

Cool park with some good hiking trails. Most people don't know it second to the Grand Canyon. Beautiful with some wildlife.

Saturday, April 25, 2015

we hiked the juniper cliffslide and the lowery trails today. we loved the drive into the park and the drive thru the park as well. A wonderful place that we will hike again soon.

Sunday, April 19, 2015

Beautiful. 1st did Paseo del Rio, very easy. Next, We did the light house trail, you are going up hill, not too steep, until the 2.8 mile part then there is a bike rack, you lock your bike and the hike the steep remainder to the lighthouse. We did not make it up, we were using biking shoes. This is a crowded trail with people you have to watch for. We turned around and took Little Fox Trail, no one on that one , fun windy route with small down hill parts. Even some logs to cross over. Ended up back at trailhead for lighthouse and did Rojo Grande Trail. That was cool, we got to ride along a ledge of the canyon, the trail was a bit more challenging b/c was up and down and little more steep, have to switch those gears well or you will end up walking some of the hills. I was also pretty tired toward end. That was about 10 miles took us about 2 hrs. The park is well maintained and beautiful. $5 per person. It was actually a little chilly in town but at the Canyon it was warmer temp. One weird annoying thing--lots of flies, they were small and they loved our sunblock lotion, any time we stopped flies would start landing on us. Crazy amounts of flies.

Sunday, March 01, 2015

Great scenery for people of any ability. You can see many sights from your car while driving the loop. The Lighthouse Trail is multi-use: hiking, horseback riding and now bikes. That makes it impossible for horses and tough on hiking as you have to dodge bikes flying up over the hills! Other trails are restricted to just hiking and/or riding, and much better for strolling on your own. As easy or challenging as you make it. Some neat caves to explore.

Wednesday, November 26, 2014

Awesome views for a quick trip!

Tuesday, July 08, 2014

We went down the Paseo del Rio trail, only 2 miles round trip. It's a trail suitable for all ages and levels, we only chose it because we arrived at the peak of the day. There wasn't much scenery but the park in general was great!

Thursday, June 26, 2014

One of my favorite places, its a day drive for me but well worth it, Take lots of water and some snacks for longer hikes. Definitely one of the best trails i've run/hiked. Hope to complete the trail race one year. Also have been chased by angry turkies. There are trails for all skill levels, I take my son annually since he was three and he surprises me with the trails and climbs he does.

Friday, March 22, 2013

The canyon drops off the plains of the Texas Panhandle, and extends for many miles to the east. The State Park has a loop drive that is quite scenic. The park has many hiking trails to explore on foot or horseback.

Friday, January 25, 2013

I hiked Rojo Grande Trail past Painted Rock with my niece and husband in July, and--save the scorching heat--we had a great time. The trail is mostly flat but there is a little bit of shade and enough up-and-down to keep it interesting. We passed several bicyclists and hikers on our short walk. Bring plenty of water, as always.

Thursday, December 27, 2012

Went in February. Weather was perfect, scenery spetacular. Easy marked trails. Some trails have a moderate climb. Pet friendly, but watch for cactus off the trail.

Monday, December 24, 2012

I really enjoyed hiking in Palo Duro Canyon with my family. It was really hot, but we just made sure to bring lots of water and sunscreen. I enjoyed the beauty of the canyons and the friendliness of the park. Many people had dogs there, and I looked on their website and it doesn't say no dogs allowed. People may also mountain bike and horseback ride in this park.

One thing I thought was really cool is you can get married in the park and everyone just has to pay an entry fee (unless you rent one of their facilities). So you could just find an area and get married! Check it out on their website :).

Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Great riding throughout the park trail.

Monday, January 16, 2012

This was a great place to visit, however, I went during one of the hottest times of the year, it was about 120 to 125 degF. I was really the only one in the park due to the conditions, which made it great. Another thing that was nice were the showers - after a hike in the heat, it was really refreshing. If you go in the summer, be smart - stay covered, wear a hat, sunblock everywhere, drink lots of water and know your limits. Worth a visit.

Friday, December 09, 2011

I went on the Lighthouse Trail. It was a nice trail, but there were a lot of people on the trail as well. It was stormy weather, which brought out the endangered Texas Horned Lizard and I was lucky enough to get a picture.

Thursday, November 25, 2010

spent a great day, the views of the canyon are magnificent.

Sunday, August 01, 2010

We went on the Light House Trail and Rim Trail. Light House Trail is a moderate trail, 6 miles round trip. Saw tarantulas, horn frogs, mule deer, and tons of horseflies attacking me all the time. Nice hike, but take plenty of water and don't go in the middle of the summer...lol. I got sick. The Rim trail goes from the top to the bottom of the canyon and ends up by the ampitheater. Moderate if you going down and strenuous if you are going up. This trail is about 1 mile but seems longer. Very nice views. Beautiful park.