Palmetto Trail to Obeservation Point Trail

Palmetto Trail to Obeservation Point Trail is a 1.6 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Houston, Texas that offers the chance to see wildlife and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, and trail running and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 1.6 miles Elevation Gain: 13 feet Route Type: Loop

This trail was affected by Hurricane Harvey.

Watch out for banana spiders!!!!! They are everywhere

The park was beautiful. A mixture of pine trees and water. But when I started down the trail on my mountain bike, I came across a swampy area, and was immediately attacked by a swarm of very large bugs. I took off back to my car once I realized they were following me. I would look back every so often to see if they were still following me, and they were! I have never pedaled so fast in my life. I made it back to my car, dropped my bike and jumped in my car. The swarm dive bombed my window. I had noticed a few had made it in my car with me and and killed them with my bug spray. It was a horrifying experience and I will NOT be returning. I showed a picture of the dead bugs to someone who knows big pretty well and they said they think it’s a “cluster fly”.

Muddy.

Sunday, January 14, 2018

Checked out this shorter trail of the Dwight D Eisenhower Park today, four months after the devastation of Hurricane Harvey and the flooding of San Jacinto River. We found it in good condition to walk through and dry. You can clearly see the debris line in the tree branches even all the months after. I regret not thinking to bring gloves and a bag to remove light trash as we walked the loop. A good part of this trail is on the road back to the parking and picnic area.

Tuesday, October 17, 2017

Harvey has destroyed the 3.2 mile trail. Very muddy

Sunday, February 26, 2017

Nice trail, muddy in places glad I had good hiking boots on.

Sunday, January 29, 2017

Trail is well marked. There is a longer trail that goes around the whole park

Tuesday, April 03, 2018