Onion Creek and Homestead Trail Loop

easyYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray Star(227)
McKinney Falls State Park

Onion Creek and Homestead Trail Loop is a 6.5 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Austin, Texas that features a waterfall and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 6.5 miles Elevation Gain: 387 feet Route Type: Loop

cave

Texas State Parks are open for day use. Due to COVID-19 parks require reservations. You must reserve and print day passes before you arrive, wear a face mask, practice social distancing in the park, and limit groups to 5 or less. More info can be found here: https://tpwd.texas.gov/state-parks/

need a reservation

Need to make a reservation first to be able to go. Doesn’t say in the description at all, a waste of a drive sadly for us.

Fairly easy 3.1 mile hike that the whole family enjoyed. Much of it has is shaded.

recorded Recording - Feb 16, 04:12 PM

Perfect for the family. Completed this trail with our 6 and 8 year old.

Well shaded and also well paved. Good for families.

fee

Pretty well trafficked. There are a few steep inclines and the scenery was nice but the trail itself was a bit short.

The trail is paved at the McKinney State Park with trees for some shade. It’s not difficult to walk. I went to the dirt trail and it was muddy. The water falls seem to be low at this time. Well maintained and I recorded myself how far my dog & I went. It’s 3.4 miles in 1 hr & 13 mins including several stops. I’d return!

flooded

Great trail! Very easy, but was very muddy. Would definitely recommend bringing something to wipe shoes down with.

Nice wide trails. Little rocky on the Homestead Trail. Not a ton of water between the falls but nice orange fall colors.

Beautiful views, there was a spider but other than that it was great

Nice and easy, good with kids and dogs

Great trail and can be as challenging as you want/make it.

Due to lack of rain and dry conditions, it’s more rocky than usual as more limestone river bottom is exposed. Despite the river running low, it’s still incredibly beautiful as are the waterfalls. There are quite a bit of paved trails however there are some off-trail options too, especially if you are looking to explore the rock shelter, which I highly recommend. One benefit of checking out this area during a drought is that there are quite a few areas of exposed riverbed that boast of intricate patterns of erosion, which would not otherwise be exposed during wet conditions. There is plenty of shade as well as opportunity for rest. It’s definitely one of the cleanest parks I’ve visited, although people cannot help themselves it would seem, as there is still some trash about—although minimal. I didn’t encounter any wildlife, but I did find fresh coyote feces and bobcat tracks so they are definitely in the area. As far as solitude, I would say I wasn’t alone more than 30 minutes (at most)at a time before another hiker crossed my path and I didn’t encounter any shady characters. It was great fun for my first hike, highly recommend based on the beauty alone!

Nice distance. Pretty narrow at times and you have to watch out for a 2 big spiders and their webs. Mostly shady, good for a quick hike with the dog. You find the trailhead if you walk across the top of the falls. Also a parking lot at the back side of the trail.

Trail is paved the entire way. More of a walk than a hike.

closed

Only thing exciting about this trail are the lakes of course. Very scenery. Awesome swim.

Beautiful hike. Not hard and very scenic views. Dope swimming spots. 10/10 recommend.

Nice,easy, well kept trail. A lot of the trail is in open sun light and after living my whole 58 years in central Texas how could I have possibly known it would be hot in June? In the morning, evening, or fall it would be a beautiful way to spend an hour. Watching the falls makes me think time travel is possible. They’ve probably looked like that for a thousand years.

Sat May 25 2019

The area is awesome for families for hiking and playing in the water. Be advised that there is a fee being it it located in a state park. Secondly, it says dogs are welcome on leash, but it’s not really a dog friendly Picard if your dog likes to play in the water. The signs everywhere say No Dogs Allowed in the Water. Super bummer.... I will be going back often with the family, but sadly our four legged friend will have to stay home..

Mon Apr 22 2019

Great trail. Also did Rock Spur Loop and Williamson Creek Lookout. Be careful, crossing creek is slippery, rocks in summer are hard on our furry friend’s feet.

Mon Apr 08 2019

Beautiful scenery with river access. 100's of acres to be explored. Dogs welcome, and we explored off leash the entire time.

Fri Aug 17 2018

The homestead Trail was nearly impossible to find. I went out there once before and couldn't find it at all. I went out there second time with my cell phone that had a GPS map on it, and I almost missed it again. My friend and I walked down it a little bit and it's really overgrown. We turned around after about a half-mile because there was a huge spider webs crossing the trail with a huge spider on it. We figured is that was at the beginning of the trail, where most people probably walked, it was just going to get really primitive later on. The Onion Creek Trail, which we did only that loop instead of doing both loops, was nice but a little boring.

Tue Aug 14 2018