New Years Sale! Get a year of AllTrails Pro for only $19.99
Get Started

Old Ore OHV Road

Old Ore OHV Road is a 26.5 mile lightly trafficked point-to-point trail located near Big Bend National Park, Texas that offers scenic views and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for horses and off road driving and is accessible year-round. Horses are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 26.5 miles Elevation Gain: 1,115 feet Route Type: Point to Point

ohv / off road driving

A 29 mile unpaved road in the Big Bend National Park between Dagger Flat Road and Rio Grande Village Road.

Great road for seeing Ernst Tinaja,old abandoned stone houses, gravesite,lots of animals,lots of history. The off road guide they sell at the bookstore at the ranger stations tell a lot of the stuff to see at exact mileage either heading north or south. We had an old Toyota Tacoma and did fine but a little rocky in 2 or 3 spots.

ohv/off road driving

Vehicle 2018 Toyota 4Runner TRD Off Road Premium 265/70/17 BF Goodrich KO2's Stock suspension Sliders Front skid plate We took this road slow and it took about 4.5 hours to do. We stopped a few times to take pictures and enjoy the views. This was my first off road trail and it was a blast. I'd definitely say it's a 4x4, High Clearance road. Great views. More than likely you'll get some pinstripes on the side of your vehicle, however it's nothing a little buffing out can't remove. If you have side steps I would remove them, they'll more than likely grab and get damage/damage the vehicle if they get torn off. However this could possibly be avoided by taking a different line or stacking rocks. I hit my skids, but that was because of carelessness in a certain moment. I would say a stock 5th Gen 4Runner could make it if it has 4X4 and you remove the side steps.

ohv/off road driving

I drove this trail from N to S. I drove it in a stock 2004 Mitsubishi Montero. This trail has many sections that are more of a desert pavement/washboard type surface than trail. However, there are quite a few stream crossings that, if wet, could make it more difficult. As I drove it in the dry, most of the trail was passable in 2wd with adequate clearance. Other than maybe two areas with some off camber boulders that require higher clearance this trail could be done in a Subaru. I drove most of the trail in 4 High, which is basically awd in the Montero. There were two sections where I used 4 Low, but would have been fine in 4 High or 4 High Lock. It was just easier with proper gearing. The views were good and offer a nice overview of Big Bend from a unique perspective. I enjoyed the overlooks and views of cliffs. I started the trail at 4:30 in the afternoon and finished at 7pm. I would start with enough time to finish before dark if I did it again so that I could see more of the park.

4 wheel drive wouldn't recommend for beginners

ohv/off road driving

Much longer than we anticipated. But worth it in the end, spectacular views at multiple points.

Good trail to get lost out in nature for about 3 hours.

ohv/off road driving

Awesome and my favorite off road trail in the park! 2 spots where it's an uphill rock climb, but can be done in 2WD. Took about 1.5 hrs in a Raptor stopping along the way, but any truck can easily make it.

ohv/off road driving

This is written for persons interested in off-road driving. Started from the north end around noon and the drive lasted for nearly 4 hours. This is definately a 4x4, high clearance, road - no exceptions. The start and finish were both pretty easy, it's the middle 20 miles that are technical. This is NOT a trip to take during or after rain. Many creek crossings and lots of evidence of deep mud in places along the trail. We saw an abandoned pick-up in a deep canyon and the ruins of a stone building. No signs of wildlife and very little signs of people. Saw only 3 other vehicles on this trip. In the southern third of the road you'll come across the grave of Juan DeLeon. This was not marked on any maps I had viewed, so you'll need to look for it. There's a pull out on the opposite side of the trail. Drove 26.6 miles, 2 hours 23 minutes, average speed 11 mph. Highest elevation is 3231 feet. Ascent was 1636 feet and descent was 2687 feet driving north to south. Plan on a half day drive with scenic and rest stops.

Tue Jun 26 2018

a good long trail with many scenic vistas... can be done in most vehicles with a little careful driving. we did it in a Jeep but never broke a sweat! just a note... anywhere you see a tree along this route there is water!

Thu May 03 2018

Phenomenal drive, simply beautiful! 2014 F-150 Supercab 4x4 Ecoboost. Michelin LTX 275/65R18 tires. Some interesting climbs and tight cutbacks. I had to activate the e-locker a couple times. My wife got a bit bruised in some of the rough spots.

Mon Apr 16 2018

Great day in the Jeep. Nothing too hard but beautiful views

Fri Apr 06 2018

The road was a lot of fun to drive in the Jeep, and the views comprised of vast expanses of desert. Really cool.

Thu Mar 22 2018

Awesome drive

Fri Mar 09 2018

Beautiful

Wed Mar 07 2018

2012 non lifted 2 Dr with front Aussie locker. Piece of cake nice drive 2.5 hours with short stops for pics. Go to park before May as the temps will be high. May want to bring water and fuel. Had a great spring break 2018! We went North to South.

Wed Mar 29 2017

This was really enjoyable, I would suggest the best view in the park is from this road. We drove from Rio Grande Village to Dagger Flats in a two wheel drive vehicle. I would recommend that vehicles with low ground clearance not attempt this drive. It is likely that my '97 4runner would not have been able to make the drive in the opposite direction. The entire drive took about an hour and half, we stopped to eat sandwhiches and let the dogs explore.

Fri Mar 17 2017

Great off road trail. I drove from South to North in a bone stock 2017 Chevy Colorado 4x4. I had to crawl numerous sections to avoid hitting rocks etc. The southern part of the trail is just a dirt road. Any car will do there, I saw a minivan take these southern route. The northern side is a different story, I saw a Subaru Outback that had to turn back. I would say that anyone with a little experience off roaring could navigate the trail in a stock truck with no problem and will have a blast doing it!

Mon Nov 21 2016

We drove out to Ernst Tinaja on this trail road. A very rough Half hour drive . The hike through a narrow canyon to the Tinaja was easy with incredible rock walls.

Wed Aug 31 2016

Yes, 4x4 is a must. Yes, high clearance is a must. If you lack either of these, be sure to pack a satellite phone and absurd amount of money to get towed out. The full 26.6 mile trail took about 2 1/2 hours with a few stops along the way for picture taking, however, it took all of 2 hours to actually drive the Old Ore Road so be advised if you are on some type of schedule or it is nearing dusk or pending heavy storms as you will be asking for it. Worth the journey if you know what your getting into.

Sun May 25 2014

We drove this trail May 17, 2014 in our Jeep Wrangler and it took hours to complete but I would rate it easy. We stopped a lot to take pictures and look around.

Sat Mar 03 2012

Drove this trail from north to south in Dec, 2008 in a Jeep Wrangler. We stopped many times to enjoy the views. Has a few rough places, but would be rated easy for a 4X4.