Old Ore Road

Old Ore Road is a 26.6 mile lightly trafficked point-to-point trail located near Big Bend National Park, Texas that offers scenic views and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for mountain biking and off road driving and is accessible year-round.

Point to Point

off road driving

A 29 mile unpaved road in the Big Bend National Park between Dagger Flat Road and Rio Grande Village Road.

This was really enjoyable, I would suggest the best view in the park is from this road. We drove from Rio Grande Village to Dagger Flats in a two wheel drive vehicle. I would recommend that vehicles with low ground clearance not attempt this drive. It is likely that my '97 4runner would not have been able to make the drive in the opposite direction. The entire drive took about an hour and half, we stopped to eat sandwhiches and let the dogs explore.

off road driving

Great off road trail. I drove from South to North in a bone stock 2017 Chevy Colorado 4x4. I had to crawl numerous sections to avoid hitting rocks etc. The southern part of the trail is just a dirt road. Any car will do there, I saw a minivan take these southern route. The northern side is a different story, I saw a Subaru Outback that had to turn back. I would say that anyone with a little experience off roaring could navigate the trail in a stock truck with no problem and will have a blast doing it!

We drove out to Ernst Tinaja on this trail road. A very rough Half hour drive . The hike through a narrow canyon to the Tinaja was easy with incredible rock walls.

off road driving

Yes, 4x4 is a must. Yes, high clearance is a must. If you lack either of these, be sure to pack a satellite phone and absurd amount of money to get towed out.

The full 26.6 mile trail took about 2 1/2 hours with a few stops along the way for picture taking, however, it took all of 2 hours to actually drive the Old Ore Road so be advised if you are on some type of schedule or it is nearing dusk or pending heavy storms as you will be asking for it.

Worth the journey if you know what your getting into.

Sunday, May 25, 2014

We drove this trail May 17, 2014 in our Jeep Wrangler and it took hours to complete but I would rate it easy. We stopped a lot to take pictures and look around.

Saturday, March 03, 2012

Drove this trail from north to south in Dec, 2008 in a Jeep Wrangler. We stopped many times to enjoy the views. Has a few rough places, but would be rated easy for a 4X4.