Old Ore Road

Old Ore Road is a 26.5 mile lightly trafficked point-to-point trail located near Big Bend National Park, Texas that offers scenic views and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for mountain biking and off road driving and is accessible year-round.

Point to Point

off road driving

A 29 mile unpaved road in the Big Bend National Park between Dagger Flat Road and Rio Grande Village Road.

off road driving

a good long trail with many scenic vistas... can be done in most vehicles with a little careful driving. we did it in a Jeep but never broke a sweat! just a note... anywhere you see a tree along this route there is water!

Phenomenal drive, simply beautiful!
2014 F-150 Supercab 4x4 Ecoboost. Michelin LTX 275/65R18 tires. Some interesting climbs and tight cutbacks. I had to activate the e-locker a couple times. My wife got a bit bruised in some of the rough spots.

off road driving

Great day in the Jeep. Nothing too hard but beautiful views

The road was a lot of fun to drive in the Jeep, and the views comprised of vast expanses of desert. Really cool.

Awesome drive

Beautiful

off road driving

2012 non lifted 2 Dr with front Aussie locker. Piece of cake nice drive 2.5 hours with short stops for pics. Go to park before May as the temps will be high. May want to bring water and fuel. Had a great spring break 2018! We went North to South.

Wednesday, March 29, 2017

This was really enjoyable, I would suggest the best view in the park is from this road. We drove from Rio Grande Village to Dagger Flats in a two wheel drive vehicle. I would recommend that vehicles with low ground clearance not attempt this drive. It is likely that my '97 4runner would not have been able to make the drive in the opposite direction. The entire drive took about an hour and half, we stopped to eat sandwhiches and let the dogs explore.

Friday, March 17, 2017

Great off road trail. I drove from South to North in a bone stock 2017 Chevy Colorado 4x4. I had to crawl numerous sections to avoid hitting rocks etc. The southern part of the trail is just a dirt road. Any car will do there, I saw a minivan take these southern route. The northern side is a different story, I saw a Subaru Outback that had to turn back. I would say that anyone with a little experience off roaring could navigate the trail in a stock truck with no problem and will have a blast doing it!

Monday, November 21, 2016

We drove out to Ernst Tinaja on this trail road. A very rough Half hour drive . The hike through a narrow canyon to the Tinaja was easy with incredible rock walls.

Wednesday, August 31, 2016

Yes, 4x4 is a must. Yes, high clearance is a must. If you lack either of these, be sure to pack a satellite phone and absurd amount of money to get towed out.

The full 26.6 mile trail took about 2 1/2 hours with a few stops along the way for picture taking, however, it took all of 2 hours to actually drive the Old Ore Road so be advised if you are on some type of schedule or it is nearing dusk or pending heavy storms as you will be asking for it.

Worth the journey if you know what your getting into.

Sunday, May 25, 2014

We drove this trail May 17, 2014 in our Jeep Wrangler and it took hours to complete but I would rate it easy. We stopped a lot to take pictures and look around.

Saturday, March 03, 2012

Drove this trail from north to south in Dec, 2008 in a Jeep Wrangler. We stopped many times to enjoy the views. Has a few rough places, but would be rated easy for a 4X4.

Saturday, July 01, 2017