North Shore Trail: Rockledge Park to Murrell Park

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray Star(253)
Rockledge Park

North Shore Trail: Rockledge Park to Murrell Park is a 8.8 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Flower Mound, Texas that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 8.8 miles Elevation Gain: 423 feet Route Type: Out & Back

This portion of the hike is from Rockledge Park to Murrell Park trailhead and back. There are several trailheads along the North Shore Trail, including at: Rockledge Park, Murrell Park, MADD Shelter, and Twin Coves Park. This is a single-track trail. It meanders along the shoreline of Lake Grapevine and sometimes goes through thick hardwood forest. Wildlife viewing opportunities include fox, deer, rabbit and abundant waterfowl and birding year round.

TRAILS CLOSED. Beautiful views, they told us at the gate the trails were open, but by the time we parked our car and were about to hop on the trail someone drove up in a golf cart and told us they were closed indefinitely. They said we could hike along the shoreline, but we brought our pups and were hoping for a trail walk.

First part was rocky and walk by the lake side pretty good view. After walking 1.5mile it get wooded which makes walks cooler. Some nice creek in the middle. Make sure to wear hiking shoes for smooth walk.

Crowded in spots - at noon on a sunny Sunday afternoon. Mix of paddle sports, mountain biking, dog-friendly trails, and some scenic views over the lake. Lots of herons!

Closed off from larger trail system due to flooding/no bridge crossing. Had to make multiple loops to get my distance. Beautiful forest and lake views. Nicely shaded

flooded

Fantastic trail with amazing views especially around Rockledge park. Multiple scenic spots to stop at and admire the lake. I started at Murrell park (parked for free) and hiked to Rockledge park and back. The view was definitely worth the hike. Are there mountain bikers? Yes. But none of them I crossed paths with were rude like previous reviews seem to say. Didn’t bother me. Great hike.

The signs say “One-way” for biking and hiking, going counter-clockwise. But the DORBA site says “Runners and Hikers are encouraged to go clockwise to allow more reaction time from bicycles” so that’s what I did. Definitely works better! Before I knew, I did the Murrell to Twin Coves section with the traffic and kept having to look over my shoulder. Be friendly on the trail and everyone is generally cool. I really enjoy having this trail available to keep my hiking legs—it’s hard to find one in the area that has any significant inclines.

this would be such a magnificent experience if it weren't for the three or four on average really rude bikers. Everytime I hike this Trail, I am always amazed by how beautiful and well kept it is. The thing that ruins it is being sworn at by bicyclists who somehow think that they have paid and they own this Trail. If you are a hiker or Walker, I would suggest that you skip this Trail unless you value being cursed out by testosterone laced older men.

hot, luckily it was shaded most of the time. not pretty but nice long trail.

This park is closed currently.

Sat Apr 20 2019

Beautiful trail, but so busy it makes it hard to enjoy.

Mon Feb 25 2019

My dog loved the cliffs out here. Very pretty location, can’t wait to go back in spring/summer when its super green. First sunny Sunday in a while & there were TONS of bikers everywhere! Be cautious.

Sun Jan 27 2019

I mean it was pretty for the time you had, but once you start going inwards, it is mountain biking galore! And not the kind of biking like “ding ding, on your left” the kind of biking with idiots going 20-30 mph banking on the side having no consideration for anybody but themselves. Park management should really consider having more trail markers bikers/hikers only or alternate weekends between hikers and bikers. Will go there for a sunset soon enough, beautiful place for a picnic

Mon Jan 07 2019

Nice trail, but crowded.

Wed Dec 12 2018

Nice chilly breeze being lakeside...was nice for about 2 miles into it until it was infested with trash and low lake level terrain. My dog enjoyed the cliff sides, lots of exercise!

Sat Oct 06 2018

Last year, I would have given this trail 6 stars, but I went out several weeks ago and the trails are just overcome by bikes to the point there is backup everywhere. The pace of the trail is slow for the reason when you are on foot since you are always getting off the trail to let the next ten bikers through. This was my favorite trail up until this year as the trails seem narrower and less runner and pedestrian friendly. I think they probably need to think about reclassifying it as a trail for bikers only. However, with that said, the trails are always clean and those in the park seem to respect the surroundings and keep the site as they found it.

Fri Sep 28 2018

Great trail! Would do It again. Worth the time to go! You do not feel you are in the city!

Thu Sep 06 2018

$10 for a 3.8 mile hike. don't waste your $$. lots of better trails nearby

Sat Aug 25 2018

I really liked these trails. Had my dog with me and we completed it in an hour and a half. Lots of mountain bikers but they were courteous and alert you.

Mon Jul 16 2018

The hardest part about this hike was the heat. There was nothing challenging otherwise. But it was a great way to spend the day working out.

Thu Jun 21 2018

On a Thursday morning in the summer, this trail was wonderful. It was quiet, serene and there weren’t many people out. It was a great start to my day

Fri Jun 15 2018

Nice trails, but bikers need to learn some manners and announce. Nearly collided with one. otherwise great to hear the lapping of lake waters and have a bit of elevation to climb