North Shore Trail is a 14.9 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Grapevine, Texas that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

paddle sports

Nice trail, though about a mile up from the southern trailhead there was a small bridge that was washed out and mostly under water. Finding a way around it was a challenge. There was a moderate amount of hiker traffic today and very few bikes. A good deal of trash near the trail, mostly washed up from the lake.

We paid $5 when we came in at Rockledge Park, and saw signs warning that the park closed at sundown. We got a late start and only made it a few miles up the trail before we turned back to make sure we were out by sundown. Several times we took a wrong turn and ended up at a dead end at someone's back yard.

The attendant was happy to see our dog and he gave him a treat on the way in.

Best trail system around, hands down.

To all of the hikers who think this trail would be better without all of the mountain bikers, this trail wouldn't exist if not for the bikers. DORBA (Dallas Off Road Bike Association) created and maintains the trail. Thank the bikers as they pass you for providing such a gem in the DFW metroplex.

This is my new go-to trail with my dog. Free to get in during the day at the Murrell Park entrance. I would consider this a mountain biking trail that allows hikers. Lots of bikes! Make sure you don’t have headphones in so you can hear the bikers coming up behind you. Everyone has been very friendly when passing and let you know how many are behind them and when it’s clear to keep walking. Definitely worth exploring!
The trail is narrow and one way with spots to turn around if you don’t want to do the whole loop.

Great trail, will definitely be back. Happened upon this one because the first trail we went to was closed. Bike traffic, but nothing bad, all bikers were courteous. Walked about 7 miles of the trails today, will more than likely go back next weekend and do a different portion.

Great trails, not difficult but still had elevation. Beautiful scenery all around!!

Awesome trail for mountain biking! . Will definitely keep let you know how good a shape your cardio is in!!!

Awesome place to get a glimpse of what the woods can bring. Peace and quiet. Love the trails and scenery. Be on the watch out for the bikers!

Took my dog and we hiked this trail for the first time! Great trails! Went during the week and just a few mountain bikers. I suggest not to wear headphones so you can hear when they alert you. They were polite and moving fast!

I’ve only run here once during the Rockledge Rumble trail race, but it was my favorite trail run so far. Excellent trail. Loved the mix of terrain and thought it was fairly technical for the area. Definitely recommend it.

It was great trail

Beautiful find in the middle of suburbia. Not a fan of suburbia, so this is a gem to me.

Nice hike, lots of bike traffic. Will be back for sure!!

Absolutely love these trails. It’s a great mix of level running ground, some mild switch backs, some sandy portions, and some more technical rocky sections. No huge hills or climbs.

Tons of mountain bikers if weather is nice so DO NOT wear headphones. I choose to run counter clockwise along with bikers bc while running I feel I have more of a warning. If I was walking/hiking, I’d go clockwise opposite of bikers.

A few water spigots at major breakpoints but take plenty of water with you as you’re pretty isolated most of the time.

The best part is that it’s not a true out and back since there are the east and west trails. Sometimes they merge, but it’s nice to go out 5 miles, turn come back on a different trail 5 miles to get in 10 (or easily more).

To prepare for our September hiking vacation, we hike portions of this trail 3 times per week. It can't prepare us for the altitude in the mountains, but it does help build our stamina, especially in the Texas summer heat. Probably the best hiking/biking trail in DFW. If you start at Rockledge Park on east end or Twin Coves Park on the west end, be prepared for a fee. If you start at the main Murrell Park entrance at the end of Simmons Road, or the old Murrell Park entrance at the end of N. Park Drive, there's no fee.
There are one way signs for bike traffic that goes counter-clockwise. For safety reasons, DORBA.org (who maintains the trail) recommends that hikers go clockwise so they can see oncoming bikes. This is important, because although hikers have the right of way, bikers rarely yield to hikers and you'll be jumping out of the way. A few years ago, I hiked counter-clockwise with the bike traffic and got run over from behind. That's why DORBA.org and the Army Corps of Engineers recommend walking against the bike traffic. Nice views of the lake on the some portions.

Tons of bike traffic, good trail overall.

Solid trail for beginners to experts

Nice walk/trail for being in a populous area. If you walk along the water, especially towards the beginning, there's a beautiful quartz vein that runs through the rock. It gets hot, even on a cooler day, so bring lots of water and wear proper sun protection.
The general area is good for families, although I would say the actual trail isn't. Lots of bikers; most are friendly and give a heads up, but the path is very windy and sometimes there's not much warning for an incoming biker. You can rent kayaks at the entrance to the park and that seems like it could be lots of fun.

Great trail with plenty of inclines, declines and switchbacks to make things interesting. I hiked the 11-ish miles from Twin Coves park entrance to Rockledge park. Started early and the trail was mostly empty. But once I reached the MADD shelter around 9am, the amount of bike traffic really picked up. I had a bike passing me every 1-2 mins, though most of them were very courteous and gave me a verbal heads up, and how many were following them. Do not recommend headphones on this trail.
Trail is very well maintained, and offers some amazing views of the lake (especially the beginning and end of the trail).

Easy beginner hike.

Nice trail to hike, unfortunately too many bikers!

Nice clean trail. Kid and pet friendly. There were. Lot of bike riders, but they were all friendly and gave warnings when passing.

Definitely an off-road biking trail. Don't wear headphones, you need to hear bikers coming up. Most will call out, but newbies won't. Traffic direction is designated for bikes, I was told hikers can opt to go against traffic if they chose to.

Good views, nice trails. I will go back.

Five dollar fee at park trailhead.

Nice trail to run - great views - you will be sharing the trail with bikers also . But everyone very pleasant.

one of my favortie dfw trails

A nice, winding trail, however hikers are out of place here. Every two or three minutes I was hopping off the trail to let bikers pass.

Great trail, definitely moderate. Be prepared to constantly dodge mountain bikers, most are nice enough to let you know they're coming but not all of them are that considerate and its not a loop so they're behind you on the hike back. Headphones not recommended because you really need to be aware of them on the blind curves.

One of my favorite trails to hike! Just make sure to pack lots of water in the summer and avoid high noon.

Actually more like 21-22 miles in total now.

Tuesday, November 14, 2017