North Shore Trail

North Shore Trail is a 14.9 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Grapevine, Texas that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

paddle sports

I’ve only run here once during the Rockledge Rumble trail race, but it was my favorite trail run so far. Excellent trail. Loved the mix of terrain and thought it was fairly technical for the area. Definitely recommend it.

It was great trail

Beautiful find in the middle of suburbia. Not a fan of suburbia, so this is a gem to me.

Nice hike, lots of bike traffic. Will be back for sure!!

Absolutely love these trails. It’s a great mix of level running ground, some mild switch backs, some sandy portions, and some more technical rocky sections. No huge hills or climbs.

Tons of mountain bikers if weather is nice so DO NOT wear headphones. I choose to run counter clockwise along with bikers bc while running I feel I have more of a warning. If I was walking/hiking, I’d go clockwise opposite of bikers.

A few water spigots at major breakpoints but take plenty of water with you as you’re pretty isolated most of the time.

The best part is that it’s not a true out and back since there are the east and west trails. Sometimes they merge, but it’s nice to go out 5 miles, turn come back on a different trail 5 miles to get in 10 (or easily more).

To prepare for our September hiking vacation, we hike portions of this trail 3 times per week. It can't prepare us for the altitude in the mountains, but it does help build our stamina, especially in the Texas summer heat. Probably the best hiking/biking trail in DFW. If you start at Rockledge Park on east end or Twin Coves Park on the west end, be prepared for a fee. If you start at the main Murrell Park entrance at the end of Simmons Road, or the old Murrell Park entrance at the end of N. Park Drive, there's no fee.
There are one way signs for bike traffic that goes counter-clockwise. For safety reasons, DORBA.org (who maintains the trail) recommends that hikers go clockwise so they can see oncoming bikes. This is important, because although hikers have the right of way, bikers rarely yield to hikers and you'll be jumping out of the way. A few years ago, I hiked counter-clockwise with the bike traffic and got run over from behind. That's why DORBA.org and the Army Corps of Engineers recommend walking against the bike traffic. Nice views of the lake on the some portions.

Tons of bike traffic, good trail overall.

Solid trail for beginners to experts

Nice walk/trail for being in a populous area. If you walk along the water, especially towards the beginning, there's a beautiful quartz vein that runs through the rock. It gets hot, even on a cooler day, so bring lots of water and wear proper sun protection.
The general area is good for families, although I would say the actual trail isn't. Lots of bikers; most are friendly and give a heads up, but the path is very windy and sometimes there's not much warning for an incoming biker. You can rent kayaks at the entrance to the park and that seems like it could be lots of fun.

Great trail with plenty of inclines, declines and switchbacks to make things interesting. I hiked the 11-ish miles from Twin Coves park entrance to Rockledge park. Started early and the trail was mostly empty. But once I reached the MADD shelter around 9am, the amount of bike traffic really picked up. I had a bike passing me every 1-2 mins, though most of them were very courteous and gave me a verbal heads up, and how many were following them. Do not recommend headphones on this trail.
Trail is very well maintained, and offers some amazing views of the lake (especially the beginning and end of the trail).

Easy beginner hike.

Nice trail to hike, unfortunately too many bikers!

Nice clean trail. Kid and pet friendly. There were. Lot of bike riders, but they were all friendly and gave warnings when passing.

Definitely an off-road biking trail. Don't wear headphones, you need to hear bikers coming up. Most will call out, but newbies won't. Traffic direction is designated for bikes, I was told hikers can opt to go against traffic if they chose to.

Good views, nice trails. I will go back.

Five dollar fee at park trailhead.

Nice trail to run - great views - you will be sharing the trail with bikers also . But everyone very pleasant.

one of my favortie dfw trails

A nice, winding trail, however hikers are out of place here. Every two or three minutes I was hopping off the trail to let bikers pass.

Great trail, definitely moderate. Be prepared to constantly dodge mountain bikers, most are nice enough to let you know they're coming but not all of them are that considerate and its not a loop so they're behind you on the hike back. Headphones not recommended because you really need to be aware of them on the blind curves.

One of my favorite trails to hike! Just make sure to pack lots of water in the summer and avoid high noon.

Actually more like 21-22 miles in total now.

Nice trail. Just watch out for bikers.

Wonderful trail,

nice trail. warning on the $5 to park would be nice.

Thursday, August 03, 2017

The trail was great! a little dusty but not so sandy that you lose traction. There were a few areas that were difficult to navigate on a rigid frame, most of the difficulty was encountered on loop 6 where the boulders were more prevalent. The trail is moderately shaded, and runs along the shoreline with some waterway crossing. This trail would be great for trail running, or hiking. There are many options to exit the trail which provides the ability to tailor your mileage to your liking.

Wednesday, August 02, 2017

Loved it! We only encountered 2 bikers and they were very good about warning us.

Monday, July 31, 2017

love it me and my dog only down fall is bikers

Monday, July 31, 2017

Amazing place rock cliffs are amazing to it will take you away from the city only down fall so many bikers hard on dog walkers like my self AND PICK UP AFTER YOUR SELF

Saturday, July 15, 2017

Nice morning hike on Northshore Trail loops 2, 3, & 4 Murrell Park to Rockledge Park). Cloudy conditions and a few light sprinkles make it comfortable and trails were in great shape. Quite a few mountain bikers to step aside for and a few trail runners, but not too bad. We clocked the distance being a little further on other apps than the All Trails app - 10.1 miles vs. 9 miles.

Friday, July 14, 2017

The North shore Trail isn't challenging but it is a really nice and well kept up trail.