North Shore Trail

North Shore Trail is a 18 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Grapevine, Texas that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 18.0 miles Elevation Gain: 846 feet Route Type: Out & Back

paddle sports

bridge out

fee

There is a $5 entry fee. This trail traverses the North Shore of Grapevine Lake. There are several trailheads for this route, including at: Rockledge Park, Murrell Park, MADD Shelter, and Twin Coves Park. This is an old motocross trail that is used for hiking and mountain biking. The course runs more technical on the west side trails (west from MADD Shelter).

Although there is a $5 entrance fee this would be the better trails with a nice scenery and less crowds.

I walked loop 3 and loop 4 today. Loop three was great, loop 4 is in need of repair as there is a lot of erosion along the shore. If you use Google maps to direct you, you end up at a pavilion in the park. If you try to start the trail there, there isn't really a trail. You should stay to the right after paying for entry. The trail wasn't too muddy after two days of off and on rain. Most of the trail was wet packed sand with occasional slippery spots.

It is not the distance or elevation that taxes your body, it is the heat and the terrain. Your ankles and knees will be screaming. Bring a lot of water and if you are hike be wary of bikers, take one earphone off

Great trail from start to finish. Some of the west trails may be a little advanced for some riders.

Great trail that is marked well and maintained.

5 stars for diverse trail options in this location. Nice trail for intermediate mtb. Mix of sand, roots, rocks, and even a few drops. A beginner could ride the whole trail but the optional skill features spice it up a notch. Shade coverage is substantial. I rode in August with temps in the high 90's and it was bearable with enough water. This trail is a series of loop segments, i.e. every few miles a new loop is designated by number. Signage is decent though some is old or not replaced. There is an east and west directional path for each loop, and there are multiple turn-around cut offs within each loop. I found myself sessioning the little hidden gems on these loops within the loops. The trail is largely sandy, yet each designated loop has its own terrain and feel. 1-4 are more flow with scattered jump options and a few substantial drops. 5-6 are more rocky and technical.

great hiking

After recent storms tons of trash and debris has accumulated in the east side of the trail my recommendation is that you start towards the second half of the trail and loop around. There was a gentleman clearing the trail, an example of the good in the midst of bad.

Would be a great trail if people didn’t leave so much trash. Humans suck

Fun little hike with my eight-year-old. The trails were short enough not to get lost but to be able to pop in and out and find different adventures

Great trail near the lake if you’re a nature lover! It’s so hard to find a true “hiking” trail in this area of DFW, and this one is the one I keep going back to. My dog loves to accompany me on this trail, however, be careful of bikers. It is a shared trail, and especially on weekends, I was dodging reckless bikers left and right, with the majority of them not giving you any warning that they are passing through. Went on the trail this past Sunday to break in some new hiking boots, very muddy in some places with all of the rain we’ve been having, but give it a couple of weeks and it will all dry out for the hot Texas summer.

bridge out

Great loaded workout hike with the wife and dog

awesome trail. great amount of terrain for North Texas. this was a loaded training hike for upcoming backpacking trip..

I challenge anyone to find a more perfect trail. I fell in LOVE with this trail. I did 10 miles but you can do up to 20. It’s challenging. This is probably the most accurate “moderate” I’ve seen so far. It kicked my butt! It is a bike trail and there are more bikers than hikers. I don’t mind stepping aside for bikers, but if that’s something you don’t enjoy, then I wouldn’t do it. I wouldn’t recommend this trail for kids bc the bikers are fast and it would be hard for the kids to have time to step out of the way. Also, there’s a TON of extreme elevation changes throughout the entire trail. Very large step ups and downs. It would probably be too challenging for a child under 10. I’m obsessed with this trail and want to go every day. Don’t listen when people say the trail is hard to follow. I didn’t have to pull my map out once. It’s a down and back trail and each way is one way. Stick to your side and you won’t get confused. If the bikes are coming AT you, you’re on the wrong side. Just switch to the other side. No biggy. I thought it was super easy to follow and I’m pretty new to hiking. $5 entry fee. Worth every penny.

Didn't do the full 14.4 miles, only did 3 miles in and 3 miles out for my first time on this trail. There was a few muddy sections on the trail due to the rains earlier in the week. The trail is well maintained and easy to follow - there are some offshoot trails that you can take but most will put you right back on the main trail. Basically follow the lake - I barely had to look at my AllTrails map. I would rate the hike as easy, very little incline. I went on a weekday and ran into a few bikers & some trailer runners. Next time I may bring a trash bag with me - SO much trash :( on the trail and surrounding areas. Parking was $5. and trailhead super easy to find. Really pretty area, I'm sure I'll return.

Great day on the trail.

The description is way off as this trail was updated years ago. This is actually a >20 mile two way trail and is one of the most heavily traveled trails in DFW. As is mentioned on the DORBA website. I rate the trail 5 stars because it is awesome. Hikers and bikers are usually very curtious to each other.

Sunday morning, tons of bikers out having fun. Took the entire family and it was more challenging than we were really ready for. Pulled off the trail many times to let people pass. We enjoyed ourselves and were pleasantly surprised by how encouraging everyone was about us being out on the trail even though we were out of our league.

Great variation for a hiking trail and beautiful lake views. I went in through the (free) Murrell Park entrance and only wish there was a bit more signage. I think I hiked 6 miles of it - but I have no idea! I did late afternoon on a weekday and didn’t run into too many people so that was nice.

This looks like a decent hiking trail but wasn’t great for running. The trail was hard to follow and weren’t able to keep a consistent pace while we tried to follow the trail. Nice views of the lake though.