North Mount Franklin Trail is a 7.2 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near El Paso, Texas that features beautiful wild flowers and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Took the more circuitous route with Agave loop and the switchbacks on the NE side of the peak past Mundy’s Gap. 10.3 miles total this way. Saw two tarantulas including one at the summit. Dogs enjoyed the trail and were pooped at the end.

Lo

Took me about 2 and a half hours with some stopping to film video and rest. Stayed at the top for a while, rested at mundy's gap on the way down and made it back to the trail head in just over 6 hours. If you want the best views of any of the trails in the franklins, this is the hike to do. Wear good footwear, the trail is pretty rocky and my feet were hurting pretty good by the end.

I did this hike for the first time solo 10/2/18. Made it to the top in just over 2 hours. Amazing views! I consider myself in good shape for someone turning 50 next week. I’m not gonna lie-I was pretty exhausted by the time I finished. Intend to do it again soon!

The hike took us 5/6 hours. Try to do it during morning. We started late and with summer heat in this region was really hard, but the trail is easy to follow, its rocky so use confortable shoes and bring lots of water and if possible fruits and granola bars. The view at the top is beautiful, totally worth it.!!!

Definitely challenging. View in the top is one of the best views of El Paso. It took me nearly 5 hours to fully complete yet I am a beginner and I stopped often . Take as much water as you can and start early (park opens at 8) to beat the heat. I started late and that’s what killed me.

Pretty easy hike, and the view at the top is amazing!

Amazing views, a must do if you’re in good enough shape and have an entire morning to kill in the area. Me and my two friends got it done in about 3 and a half hours with ample breaks to take in the views and hydrate.

The inclined can be tough, and the terrain is rocky and not always super stable. Hiking boots are a must.

Recommend hitting this trail early in the morning while temps are lower and to avoid heat exhaustion. No need to bring backpack. Just a water source and phone. Awesome trail. Amazing views at the top. Watch out for loose rocks and footing on the descent. Have fun!

I had walked this trail back in 2006 with a few buddies of mine. This is a great trail and very well kept. I found it pretty easy to hike. It does have some decent inclines in a couple areas. Once you get to the peak you have some great views of El Paso and the surrounding area.

Difficult hike but the view is breathtaking and worth it

Awesome hike but very challenging! The first 15mins of the hike is mainly on big, loose gravel. Followed by a nice shallower path. To get to the division of Tin Mines and North Franklin took me 45mins with a good tempo. From there the trail got very narrow and rocky...took me an hour to get to the top. The view is awesome! I like that this trail brings you on both sides of the mountains before leading to the top. Worth the hike but very difficult.

Steep and rocky hike but worth the views. I wouldn’t recommend in the summer since there’s no shade. Definitely worth it, the highest point in El Paso. Lots of cholla cacti near the peak.

This is definitely a trail not for beginners. Lots of loose rocks and alot of inclines. But an absolutely beautiful view at the end and it was worth the hike.

very nice hike.

Great hike. Wearing hiking boots would not be a bad idea. It is easy to twist an ankle on a few points on the trail

Love this trail! My husband and I did it with our dog! Was pretty windy but the views were incredible. We even saw a deer on the mountain. Definitely worth the hike. Long hike but not too challenging terrain wise

Cruises up the main trail in 1 hour 40 mins.
Took the shortcut straight down the side, in 55 mins. (Only recommended for athletic people) Was a good time.
I recommend hiking the highest point in El Paso.

This hike is everything in one. It goes from easy to hard to easy again but worth doing the peak it's just amazing and you get to do the other trails on the same day. It's long so bring enough water and snacks. What an adventure !!!

Depending on your fitness level this could be an extremely challenging hike or a decent trail run. If you're a klutz like me, it's better to wear ankle high hiking shoes, since you have to walk over large rock fields at various points; it'd be easy to twist an ankle. If you get cold easily, bring a jacket since you'll likely be in the shade in at least one side of the mountain with a fair amount of wind gusts. I didn't find hiking poles necessary at any point.

Note-- there's a few ways to get to the trail from the parking lot, which might explain why Zach found a one-way trip of over 4 miles. The trailhead that matches to the map starts on the path to the left of the sign in the parking lot; my Suunto Ambit3 watch pegged it at 7.6 miles.

Hard trail to the top. The first part is not too bad . The views from the top are incredible. I'm glad that I did it once.

fun trial very well marked.

Sunday, November 12, 2017

Awesome hike! The view at the top of the mountain is beautiful. Great Spot for picnic date!

Thursday, October 12, 2017

It’s all on rock or gravel, gradual incline so it wasn’t bad

Saturday, October 07, 2017

Awesome hike!

Monday, October 02, 2017

Tiring and challenging hike. It's awesome!

Wednesday, September 27, 2017

Great scenery and a nice challenge!!!

Monday, May 22, 2017

Great trail, not too hard. Deff recommend ankle support.

Monday, April 17, 2017

Pretty good hike. the initial hike has alot of ankle breakers but the rest of the trail is great.

Monday, March 06, 2017

Moderate hike. One of the people with me was in his 70's and a geologist which made it interesting as he explained the terrain. There is a lot to see if you keep an eye out. We saw four mule deer watching us as well as squirrels and many birds. At about 3 miles or so there is a bench next to a sign warning of unexploded ordinances. When you're at this spot, look over the hill to the South and you will see a car that someone left there years ago when you could take the dirt road up there. At the top of North Peak there is an old radio tower. Looking south from there you can see The Mammoth and The Ron Coleman trail. We also saw some lady bugs at the very top. This is definitely a must hike in the Franklins.